Build 1961 fj40l factory soft top

Member Builds and Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have you considered going back to a F135 engine? Aren't you parting out an early FJ40 with a F135? One of my FJ25s had a single wire alternator. The charge and oil light worked. Planned going back to a generator but life kept getting way. Don't believe I every found a FJ25 generator. All had FJ40 on them.

Probably start selling my parts on eBay to figure what their worth. I have no idea of the value of the parts I collected. Not a fan of the new classified section here. No longer going to be a reference for values as it's dated. I also don't like that have search the seller to find out thier location. Huge difference if an engine a 100 miles away or 1000 miles away. FB can search for parts local.
 
Have you considered going back to a F135 engine? Aren't you parting out an early FJ40 with a F135? One of my FJ25s had a single wire alternator. The charge and oil light worked. Planned going back to a generator but life kept getting way. Don't believe I every found a FJ25 generator. All had FJ40 on them.

Probably start selling my parts on eBay to figure what their worth. I have no idea of the value of the parts I collected. Not a fan of the new classified section here. No longer going to be a reference for values as it's dated. I also don't like that have search the seller to find out thier location. Huge difference if an engine a 100 miles away or 1000 miles away. FB can search for parts local.
i have two F135's, including the original.
 
Ai have two F135's, including the original.


Are you planning on rebuilding the original engine?

Having the original that the serial number is stamped on the plaque on the firewall up to 1965 can tell if it's a number matching cruiser.

I'm curious if you VIN plaque has model year with Toyota called it. My 61 production hard top I sold showed model 1962. It had all the parts as my earlier 61 except the hole for the engine intake on the apron. I picked up a 62 production FJ40 from a wrecking years ago. VIN 2~FJ40~XXXXX. VIN plaque is 1963. So as far back as 1961 Toyota had model year that started before the calendar year.
 
i have the vin plate, toyota called it a 61. ive been lead to believe its a February of 61 production date.....somewhere i a saw chart.....which i am taking with a grain of salt, but i seen nothing else to disprove it either.
i dont have the 61 title....yet.....for now its a 69, shortly it will be a 64.
im not planning on doing anything with the original engine other than keeping it with the cruiser.
i like the 2Fs too much to be bothered with these f135s.
 
Back in the day, it was not unusual for Land Cruisers to be titled with the year they were first sold. Not the year of manufacture.
 
Back in the day, it was not unusual for Land Cruisers to be titled with the year they were first sold. Not the year of manufacture.

I know mid sixties have the brass tag for ones sold later. Early sixties the model has the four digit year directly stamped in the VIN plaque. Type is FJ40L. No A for type of soft top or V for hard top. Not sure if the lack of a soft top or hard top letter ended 1/75. I know my 68 and 70 have no letter for either. Believe my 73 FST does not have a letter. Early sixties the VIN itself starts with a number at the front for the year made. Mid sixties the number in front of the FJ40 in the VIN went away. Not sure if the engine serial number went away at the same time. My 9/64 FJ45LP still has the engine serial number. Unfortunately the serial on the 2F it has doesn't match.
It's my understanding the plaque on the firewall was stamped my the time it left port?
 
The leading year number was dropped after 1964.
 
i have the vin plate, toyota called it a 61. ive been lead to believe its a February of 61 production date.....somewhere i a saw chart.....which i am taking with a grain of salt, but i seen nothing else to disprove it either.
i dont have the 61 title....yet.....for now its a 69, shortly it will be a 64.
im not planning on doing anything with the original engine other than keeping it with the cruiser.
i like the 2Fs too much to be bothered with these f135s.

It is believed the FJ40 stared with 1~FJ40~ 10001. The VIN for my early rust bucket 61 is 1~FJ40~102XX. The later one I sold is 1~FJ40~109XX model is 1962. No longer mine to put out the VIN but it is closer to 900 than 1000.
Guessing it was sept or later. Like I said only non 61 part it has it the lack of the mistake in apron. Has the large fuel cap and arm on the front of the jump seats.


I figure if I restore something rare I want to keep it as original as possible. I couldn't imagine driving an FJ25 without the 25's four speed.
 
It is believed the FJ40 stared with 1~FJ40~ 10001. The VIN for my early rust bucket 61 is 1~FJ40~102XX. The later one I sold is 1~FJ40~109XX model is 1962. No longer mine to put out the VIN but it is closer to 900 than 1000.
Guessing it was sept or later. Like I said only non 61 part it has it the lack of the mistake in apron. Has the large fuel cap and arm on the front of the jump seats.


I figure if I restore something rare I want to keep it as original as possible. I couldn't imagine driving an FJ25 without the 25's four speed.
This one is no.413.
Well, I'm trying to find a decent transmission and transfer for it.
 
In other news, the parts truck has provided goodies.

20260714_153446.webp
 
Last edited:
Did the format change in the plaque at the same time. Is there any brass FJ40s made prior to 64 with the year in the VIN at the museum? I don't remember any on mud posted on 64s or early.
I'm no longer seated a few steps away from the collection to go look. I get there only a couple times a year now.
 
Parts truck yielded more goodies.
I have three of these starters laying around now, haven't played with this yet, hopefully between them one works...though this one looks to be a decent shape.

20260729_122249.webp


20260729_122230.webp
 
Yet more from the 64....while not correct for a soft top....ill get more use from this than a pintel. ..and it's disheveled appearance fits in nicely.

20260803_144503.webp
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom