180k Service Necessary? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks! I currently have my LX470 in the shop getting brakes fixed. My LX is right at 181K miles, the service guy at the Lexus dealership told me about the 180k service etc... Problem is, my wife and I are not working so spending extra money is not something we're trying to do. However, we're in no position to get a new car and our LX is our only vehicle for the family (me, wife, 2 kids). Should we spend the extra $1,700 on the 180k service? Will it prevent heartache and pain later? If it were up to me, I'd like to keep this vehicle another 10 years or so. Please advise. I don't know how to do any maintenance on my own, so please don't suggest that because it's not an option. TIA.

Is the timing belt and water pump the same job? I think the water pump was done around 90k

The timing belt is due every 90k and lots of people do the water pump at the same time, at least now days, didn't used to be the case. The timing belt question is critical. If you don't know the service history go to the Lexus website, enter your VIN and see if you can find it. Failing that a dealer should be able to look it up.

Btw, what model year is your LX? Timing belt is more critical on 06-07 interference engines.

The timing belt is due every 90k and lots of people do the water pump at the same time, at least now days, didn't used to be the case. The timing belt question is critical. If you don't know the service history go to the Lexus website, enter your VIN and see if you can find it. Failing that a dealer should be able to look it up.

Btw, what model year is your LX? Timing belt is more critical on 06-07 interference engines.
Mine is either a 2002 or 2003. I'm being quoted for $2,440 (before tax) for the brakes (both front and rear) and the 180k service.

If it was me and I couldn't confirm the timing belt had been changed at 90k miles I would pay and have it replaced, but probably not by the dealer. Shop around for a indy mechanic.

If it was swapped at 90k I would just inspect the belts condition. If it looks in pretty good shape let it ride until you get back to work.

What's the issue with the brakes?

Your best bet is to find an independent mechanic that knows what they are doing and you trust them. I just had my timing belt done on Saturday along with water pump, coolant T's, serpentine belt, mounting new tires and an alignment for $760. I supplied the Asian kit I got on Amazon for $130. So all in I'm $890 for all the above.

I use an independent shop that was started by 2 ex Toyota mechanics. Do yourself and your wallet a service and shop around. Avoid the dealership other than TSBs.

Last edited:
If you arent working- hold off especially if you're going to pay someone for a 180k service.

Now is a good time to learn to perform your own service. On the low end side of a 180k service you can spend around $500 in quality Denso/Aisin/Koyo parts to do timing belt, pulleys, waterpump, fan bracket, alternator brushes. Repack wheel bearings, grease driveshafts & ujoints
Etc

Now is a good time to learn to perform your own service. On the low end side of a 180k service you can spend around $500 in quality Denso/Aisin/Koyo parts to do timing belt, pulleys, waterpump, fan bracket, alternator brushes. Repack wheel bearings, grease driveshafts & ujoints
Etc

But he pleaded with us not to tell him that! Though I agree with you. It's not the rocket science that many people think it is.

It really depends on the known maintenance history. There are things that can be stretched if you spend your days on pavement and being easy on it.

Example: at 30k usually my rear diff fluid is still plenty serviceable but dark, while t case and front diff are a transparent golden color like new. Modern synthetics fluids are phenomenal and heat seems to stay down. I swap everything on 30k intervals, but I'd see no issue if you someone went 40-50k, especially with a magnetic drain plug and synthetic fluids.

The rest you need to know when it was done before like timing belt and water pump.

I'd consider wheel bearings repack and tension, spark plugs, air filter, and greasing everything as well. Diffs should be cheap for labor, about $80 for fluids.

But he pleaded with us not to tell him that! Though I agree with you. It's not the rocket science that many people think it is.
Lol - I never got the reasoning for paying out dealer service prices on a 15-20yr old vehicle. Anyway 100series ownership has a few service options: 1). deep pockets with no care for expense; 2.) diy for the enjoyment of the hobby the self satisfaction and self sufficiency of doing things diy, 3.) drive it into the ground and only repair when it breaks or walk away when the expense is too great.

You might be right but I have not one mechanical bone in my body and at 46 years old, I'm starting now.

I went ahead and authorized the service. Will be around $2,600 with tax. I'm SURE I paid too much but I don't know if I trust or know enough about my local mechanic to have them do the work.

I went ahead and authorized the service. Will be around $2,600 with tax. I'm SURE I paid too much but I don't know if I trust or know enough about my local mechanic to have them do the work.

While not cheap, it's probably your safest bet. If you're not working, paying $2,600 for a service can be very difficult. However, being your only vehicle, not doing it could cost you so much more if something breaks when you aren't prepared for it. You obviously know your limits and if you don't know any good local mechanics, the dealer service should be a safe bet and you can feel comfortable knowing your truck is maintained and running properly.

^ I tend to agree since it is your only vehicle at this point

But just know that service advisors are paid on commission so the more you spend, the more they make. It's no differnet than the sales floor. So keep that in mind when they come back with a laundry list of items. Keep track of all your repairs and do yourself a favor and learn to do the basic things yourself. There are enough youtube videos out there to teach yourself.

$2600 for 180k service is reasonable. Should be a rinse and repeat of the 90k, quite a few things being done. Sure beats a car payment to pay for service intervals on a cruiser. Here is a maintenance log for 90:

1600717185897.png

Timing Belt job should include: Water Pump, Thermostat, Water Inlet O-Ring/Gasket, t-bet tensioner at minimum. And Coolant flush or top off due to WP service

Because your vehicle is full time 4x4, Front Differential Fluid, Rear Differential Fluid, Transfer Case Fluid should be included in their service.

You might ask about:

Spark plugs. Plugs are good for 100k if iridium, so you could probably push these a bit further. Not really a "while they are in there" thing as plugs only need the airbox to be removed to replace them. That being said, they like to back out sometimes so would be worth tightening.

You should tell them:

To not forget to lubricate the spindle bearing, use NEW c clips on the cv axle with the proper gap, and to get 9lbs + of pretension on the hub nut. These will cost you big time if they skip the step or do it wrong - but cost them nothing but $.10 of grease and 3 minutes of time.

Last edited:
We really ought to have a MUD DIY mentorship program for this sort of thing.

I totally agree with BRM98. I do most maintenance and repairs myself with the help of YouTube and other friends with more experience. Everybody starts sometime. You can save thousands by doing so and learn a lot at the same time to make you more self-sufficient. Each time I tackle a new project I'm usually relieved that it wasn't near as difficult as I expected it to be. Just get some good advice and instruction before hand, gather the tools and parts you'll need and take your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom