'14-'15 vs. 16+ Opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
community.webshots.com
So... About 90% sure I'm going from a 100 to a 200 in the near future and been doing some research.

Believe the only major difference between the 14/15 and 16+ is the transmission. Of course the 14/15 is more budget friendly but looking to justify the additional $10k on a '16-'18 rig.

Any gremlins that are more prevlent on either? Looking to actually keep the 200 for a long time. Plan was the same with the 100 but will not do well as a tow rig for the travel trailer we'll be getting.

Maybe some opinions from the community on pros / cons...

Thanks!

13 should be the same as 14/15. I personally think the 13-15 looks a little cartoonish with the bulging headlights and taillights, and prefer the 16+. With bumpers that would be a non-issue. I was negotiating for a 16 before I bought my 13, but at the end of the day came to my senses and bought within my budget. I would say just get the newest, cleanest, well maintained example in your budget.

If you are financing,an argument could be made for the 16+ as the terms are usually much better.

13 should be the same as 14/15. I personally think the 13-15 looks a little cartoonish with the bulging headlights and taillights, and prefer the 16+. With bumpers that would be a non-issue. I was negotiating for a 16 before I bought my 13, but at the end of the day came to my senses and bought within my budget. I would say just get the newest, cleanest, well maintained example in your budget.

If you are financing,an argument could be made for the 16+ as the terms are usually much better.

Thank you for the feedback. Goal is to not finance so that's main reason for looking at earlier than '16+. Might stretch some and get a 16+ but really would prefer to not have a note on it.

At around 100k miles your going to want to replace cooling stuff on anyone of those years.
I was told to buy the newest one you can afford.

Here are 6 threads to get you started on ideas. You can find a lot more threads if you want/need them too. One of the more common questions on here......

Model Year Differences, LC200 + LX570

Main model year changes 2008-2014 200 series and lx

Dangerously Close to Buying a 2013 Land Cruiser - Need Advice

Buying a new LC? Need advice… thoughts?

Thinking about buying my first LC

Thinking of buying a 2016+ Land Cruiser - Owner Feedback?

And there are many threads on towing with a 200 and on the very few things to look for during purchase.

Thank you for the feedback. Goal is to not finance so that's main reason for looking at earlier than '16+. Might stretch some and get a 16+ but really would prefer to not have a note on it.

‘13 is a price/value sweet spot IMHO (or a 14/15 which are basically the same...but might cost more because of the more recent year)
13[5 got:
Radar cruise
Additional Cameras
Nice dash
Couple extra crawl control functions
6-speed is solid as can be.

I say this as a happy ‘08 owner/wheeler.

OTTH... Low miles and well cared for (or even just well cared for)...beats newer-but-neglected all day long.

Last edited:
Also go to the Lexus owners website with a vin to check service history. You can erase that vin and add another. FYI

Also go to the Lexus owners website with a vin to check service history. You can erase that vin and add another. FYI

Great tip! Thank you.

I went with the conventional wisdom and bought the cleanest/newest LC I could purchase cash a couple years ago (2013 with 49K miles). It took me a while to find a local one that I could inspect and I’m budget. Waiting/searching was the hardest part, but worth it for piece of mind. I don’t miss upgrades post 2015 but I came from a 2004 Ford, so YMMV.

I think one question is how big of tires, how heavy are you building, and how much you're going to tow. Or all the above combined.

While all 200-series have the same GVWR rating, the 16+ has advantages in gearing and brakes to turn big tires and handle heavier loads. Don't get me wrong, the pre-16s are fine performers and can be upgraded with gears and brakes. But out of the box, the 16+ has advantages. With low gear ratios on par with a 6-speed with 4.88 gears.

The 2016+ has nicer leather, better layout on Buttons, an 8 speed tranny and probably a few other differences

I have a 2014 and am very happy with it.

Buy the best maintained, lowest mileage one you can afford. They are all Landcruisers. I don't think the differences here are huge, yes there are some improvements and if you can afford a 2016+ and find a good one, I wouldn't hesitate.

Have seen a couple that are "high mileage" for 16/17 (65-85k) but are southern CA rigs with full service history. I realize not high miles for these rigs but would just have to get used to the idea of paying $50+60k on vehicle with that many miles.

Low mileage 16’s can be found for 60k. I paid 63k for my ’17 with 20k miles. Saw lots of 16‘s in the 50’s with lower miles.

Reactions: HGB
There were some safety related capabilities that were quite important to me when I went shopping for an LX in January. I, too, am planning on keeping this one for a long, long time (drove my 2003 LC for 14 years) so whatever I chose, I’d be living with for the duration. Saved several thousand dollars by flying to Houston to grab a great deal and drove it back to Los Angeles.

If one day, even in the distant future, one of those safety features saves my bacon, or a loved one’s well being, going the extra stretch in price would be well worth the investment. Then again, I sometimes need all the help I can get. YMMV.

I think one question is how big of tires, how heavy are you building, and how much you're going to tow. Or all the above combined.

While all 200-series have the same GVWR rating, the 16+ has advantages in gearing and brakes to turn big tires and handle heavier loads. Don't get me wrong, the pre-16s are fine performers and can be upgraded with gears and brakes. But out of the box, the 16+ has advantages. With low gear ratios on par with a 6-speed with 4.88 gears.

Great points... would be a moderate build. Not going huge on tires. 33-34" with 2"ish suspension lift, sliders, front bumper / winch. Will be towing 5000-6000lb (wet) travel trailer.

I bought a 15 and love it, the only big benefit I see to the 16+ is the facelift design is certainly prettier. Otherwise I think you would be really hard pressed to tell the difference in a blindfolded test.

The 16s and maybe 17s all came with stupid screens in the rear, one thing nice about the 15 is it has just a drop down screen on the roof that is pretty much out of sight, out of mind.

FYI...if you’re going to get 16+, there were some improvements to the 2018 models.

I bought a 15 and love it, the only big benefit I see to the 16+ is the facelift design is certainly prettier. Otherwise I think you would be really hard pressed to tell the difference in a blindfolded test.

The 16s and maybe 17s all came with stupid screens in the rear, one thing nice about the 15 is it has just a drop down screen on the roof that is pretty much out of sight, out of mind.
This is exactly why I was lookin at 2018-2019. the rear screens are a option

I personally hate those screens, they are prob pretty nice if you have kids though

I hate(ed) them. Bought the screen delete covers before I even picked up he LC. Then took a 4 hour drive with my littles. Super nice not to deal with iPads or chargers or art supplies. They still look super intrusive, but I’ll be listing the covers in here for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom