12HT engine rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks guys it's a labor of love as the engine gaskets where like petrified timber and took two days to remove from the cast steel cases.

She's now GMH blue after lots of scrubbing inside and out. :)

12ht painted 002.JPG

Last edited:
Next on the agenda is to replace both main seals front and back once the enamel has dried.
I found a 46mm socket to crack the harmonic balancer nut but we need to get the engine of the stand to gain access for the rear seal as well as locking the crank to stand head for the torqued 325 lb front nut.
Pics to fallow.

Last edited:
I need some help with the auto meter sport/comp pyrometer gauges I brought as these came with no exhaust probes. The probes listed for these are K 5244 not suited for diesel engines.
I'm stumped and have no clue what probes I need to buy.

pto 010.JPG

Thanks Hojo
I was going to use the two main seals in the kit but will buy a couple from Toyota would hate to have one fail in a year or two.

I need some help with the auto meter sport/comp pyrometer gauges I brought as these came with no exhaust probes. The probes listed for these are K 5244 not suited for diesel engines.
I'm stumped and have no clue what probes I need to buy.

View attachment 1232336

Looks like they sent you a second Pyrometer instead of a Boost gauge?

I'm enjoying your overhaul thread and taking notes for my 12H-T. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Thanks but not much knowledge on this engine learning as we go but have a good friend Neil helping who knows his way around air cooled flat four engines. :)
I got lucky and found the gauges on gumtree for the right price and yes boost gauge is in the mail. The two pyrometer gauges may work for me when I start fitting or trying to fit my twin scroll manifold and td05 turbo but that's down the track after rego.
I just rang two instrument repairers in OZ and there both have no clue why its not suited to diesel application so now there concerned as they sell heaps to the 4x4 guys.
Feature Points

• Type K thermocouple
  • Recommeneded for Auto Meter Data Acquisition systems and older gauges with the 'black box'
  • Open tip thermocouple not recommended for diesel applications
  • PART # 5244

Last edited:
Great work ozcrusier. I hope that I don't have to go down this road till i've at least enjoyed my used 12ht for a good while, but when it happens (inevitable) I'm glad that there is a thread to reference. Keep it up!

*Edit: Love how you mimicked the stock blue.. These motors are so awesome, too bad TOYOTA did not keep it going for more than 4-5 years.

We had a look at cylinder six valves and the seats look good with minimal movement in the valve guides. The seals where still soft but well worn so at this stage with out stripping the rest off the head I might get away with lapping the valves and seats with new seals.

12ht head 004.JPG

head 001.JPG

Last edited:
Got the head back from my engine builder and he cut the seats valves etc and decked the head because it had a slight warp. I just finished painting so give it the night to cure and then try and get into it tomorrow. Darren got his magnet out and all my welsh where steel so I brought 18 brass welsh plugs for the head only so this will be the first job tomorrow. He also told me after 1000 K to pull the rocker gear and re-torque the head or risk blowing the head gasket. Now I wish I brought a MLS head gasket :)

12ht head 003.JPG
12ht head 004.JPG
12ht head 002.JPG
12ht head 005.JPG

Last edited:
I knocked the 18 welsh plugs into the head with a smear off non hardening loctite No 3.
The five on the head face where super tight to get in and where by far the most rusty but my engine had years left in the old one's.

12ht welsh plugs 002.JPG

12ht welsh plugs 003.JPG

12ht welsh plugs 004.JPG

12ht head 001.JPG

12ht head 002.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom