'11 LX570 rear wheel noise when turning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,
I have had '11 LX570 for couple months now and it has 70k miles. Yesterday, I noticed the following:
When I make left turns there is a noise coming from the rear left wheel (driver side). I'm 100% sure it's from the rear wheel. If I go very slow (parking lot speed) no noise. But as you add speed and the wheel wants to toe in (or would it toe out?) there is this noise as if something is rubbing. My first thought was the the rust from the rotor shield hitting the rotor (I've had this on my 911). I took the wheel off, hammered the rust out, checked for any play in the wheel (none present), looked around but didn't see anything unusual except how rusty everything looks. Wheel bearing? Worn out bushing in the suspension arm? What is rubbing? Parking brake? Any ideas/suggestions are welcome. I would like to get the truck on the lift and spin the wheel while pushing on it to see if I can figure out what is grinding, but that won't happen for a while. The best way to describe the noise is when you hear really old truck taking turns, something creaks and starts grinding/rubbing.

Making right turns or going straight results in no noise.

I appreciate any help in advance.
Yury

Sounds like a wheel bearing. When a wheel bearing starts to go bad you'll often get noise when you turn away from the side with the bad bearing (ie right rear wheel bearing makes noise turning left). This is because when you turn away from the side with the wheel bearing the vehicles weight is shifting on to that bearing. Often with a bad bearing if you jack the wheel up in the air and grab the tire at the 12 and 6 o'clock position you'll have some play if you try rocking it back and forth.

I have the opposite tho. Left wheel makes noise when making left turns.
I did check for play like you suggest and there was no play I could detect, although I would like to do this again on a lift as opposed on and little bottle jack that came with the car.

I have a similar problem with my '08 LX570. Right rear wheel is noisy, intermittently. Happened immediately after I replaced the tires (all four), and comes with the added bonus of a noticeably diminished ride quality. I know, it's the tires. Problem is, when I had an independent check, the answer was bad wheel bearing.

The truck has 105k on it, and I can't believe the wheel bearing is dead already. If they failed that soon, I would think that there would be a lot of Tundra owners screaming. Similarly, I can't believe your 70k truck has one either. Seeing as how the bearing replacement isn't trivial, this isn't a part I want to replace just to find out whether or not it'll solve the problem.

The rear assembly isn't that complicated, so there aren't too many options for guilty parties. I have no good ideas for the problem yet.

if you want to eliminate the tires as the culprit, rotate them around.. some places will even do it for free.

We think alike; that's my plan for the afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom