$100 junk yard locking diff missing shift fork bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The local you pick junk yard had a locking 94 80 come in this week. I made it there the second day and the rear 3rd member was all ready gone, axle housing was still present. On the third day I went back to get the over frame exhaust bracket and by chance found the 3rd member in a trunk 2 cars down. So I grabbed it and ran for the checkout :). Later I pulled the rest of the axle housing, locker wires, diff switch. I didnt get the locker ecu or dash bulbs due to the wasps nest in the car, will be going back with bee spray later today. The axle shafts and some of the hub parts were MIA.

Now I am home looking over my score comparing it to the FSM. I am missing all 10 of the housing nuts, 3 of the e-locker bolts(yellow), and the shift fork bolt (red). The FSM does not list sizes for any of these bolts. Does anyone know what sizes I need? My main concern is the special shift fork bolt, using the search I just find that it is a 10m head. What does "Precoated part" mean for the shift fork bolt?

My plan is to rebuild this axle with upgraded axle shafts, then swap the entire housing on my unlocked 97 80. I would like to not steal parts of my unlocked axle.

missing.png

IMG_20160702_150413.jpg

Probably easiest to just get the bolts you need from Toyota.

The shift fork bolt is shouldered and not a standard bolt you could pull out of a bin.

AFAIK Pre-coated means a new bolt comes from Toyota with a dry film of the correct type thread locker already applied to the threads.

Probably easiest to just get the bolts you need from Toyota.

The shift fork bolt is shouldered and not a standard bolt you could pull out of a bin.

This, and the actuator bolts are m8 x 1.25, but have m10 hex with a big flange; not common. Did you look around, the ground, etc for the hardware, extras are nice to have, drive shaft, etc, bolts are not cheap.

I looked around quite a bit, I assume whoever removed the diff kept all the small parts, and was planning on coming back for the big parts during the 4th of july sale.

#Junkyardwars

This, and the actuator bolts are m8 x 1.25, but have m10 hex with a big flange; not common. Did you look around, the ground, etc for the hardware, extras are nice to have, drive shaft, etc, bolts are not cheap.

Went back to the junk yard to get more parts today, met to other 80 owners. While I was there went over the ground(oil slick mud, ih8mud) collecting ALL the bolts and nuts with a large neodymium magnet, ended up with full gallon zip lock bag. At home I hit them all with brake cleaner and sorted through them all.

I was able to positively identify the housing bolts.
I have two candidates for the actuator and sensor plate(first pic), not sure if it uses the integrated washer bolts or the one actual washers.
Only found 1 shouldered bolt with a 10mm head(second pic), threads look like the fit, not going to use it unless someone can identify with 100% confidence. Otherwise going to try my luck at the dealership when they open in the morning.

For future reference:
Rear differental lock shift fork shaft bolt
part #41463B

two_bolts.jpg

shoulder.jpg

First pic, the bolt to the right, looks like an actuator, takes 4.

Second pic looks too large for the fork?

That doesn't look like the shift fork bolt to me, but it's been a while since I had mine out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom