Builds 1-HDT rebuild - late 2019 start (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When I did my valve body, I worked directly with wholesale in Australia. I still had issues, but in the end I'm very happy.

One problem that I had, was that the core that wholesale had in stock turned out to be garbage and they didn't know until they tried to start production on my order. So instead of them shipping me my completed VB, and me shipping my core in exchange, I had to ship them my good valve body, then they modified it and sent it back.

Try to get a hold of Rodney directly.

Time for a little rant. It's been 6 months since I first contacted the US supplier for a Wholesale valve body, and still don't have any indication from them that I'll actually get one. Trying to bypass them to get one directly from Australia like @sailor mentioned. Im sure they won't be happy that I'm throwing them under the bus, but I'm at the end of my rope. Im also mentally preparing myself to live with a stock transmission in the case that Wholesale doesn't have any either. I know I can install one while the tranny is installed, but I really don't want to if I don't have to.

Still waiting on the machine shop for the engine. Trying not to get overly impatient. Only real update is I took inspiration from @lelandEOD and have been trying to learn tig for a stainless exhaust. Its all booger welds but Im pretty sure I can make something functional, and maybe make it look ok with more practice.

View attachment 2214488
I worked with the local guys until it was clear I was paying them to educate them. Maybe they upped their game. Rodney talked to me directly when there was an issue with the supplied instructions. Top Bloke!

I worked with the local guys until it was clear I was paying them to educate them. Maybe they upped their game. Rodney talked to me directly when there was an issue with the supplied instructions. Top Bloke!
I think we got it all worked out. It just took being a very squeaky wheel to get the grease. If I had just been able to send wholesale my core, I probably would have had it back in a month or less. Its been disappointing but Im ready to move on with my rebuild!

Speaking of being on waitlists... Can't wait to get my hands on one of these. Madman EMS3.

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 6.07.19 PM.png

ok that's interesting...

Are you rebuilding the head/adjusting the shims and valves or are you sending it out?
Ok I guess there's more. The head was rebuilt by the machinist and adjusted. Cam was left out for transport so I'll need to do that once I have timing set. As I recall, he replaced 3 guides and of course all the seals, while decking it and cutting new seats. I need to pore over the work order again and will be double checking what I can.

MVIMG_20200305_140614.jpg

Ok I guess there's more. The head was rebuilt by the machinist and adjusted. Cam was left out for transport so I'll need to do that once I have timing set. As I recall, he replaced 3 guides and of course all the seals, while decking it and cutting new seats. I need to pore over the work order again and will be double checking what I can.

View attachment 2230692
Awesome man, im excitied for you. Hopefully she runs as good as she did 30yrs ago.

Lookin good!

Double checking machine work and pausing to spam my thread with 1hdt pics. Looks like I forgot to get new piston circlips and need to track those down. Really tempting to push ahead with the old ones but I think waiting will be a good practice in self-restraint.

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 9.38.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 9.37.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 9.37.10 AM.png

Damn, I'm missing all the fun!

Angelo

Im sure this is probably the slowest engine build ever. Still waiting on those c-clips (stuck in customs) but decided I could push ahead with a bunch of other things. Used old c-clips to at least get the wrist pins in and will swap them out with new ones. Also measured ring gap and got them installed on the pistons, and plastigauged rod bearings.
Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 11.15.44 AM.png

Painted the head.
Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 11.14.51 AM.png

Rear main seal installed.
Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 11.14.34 AM.png

Installed IP, oil pump/housing, oil cooler, and coolant thermostat/intake.
Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 11.13.32 AM.png

Most of the time was spent with a lot of cleaning, double checking and paint touch up. Next up is timing gears.

Made more progress. Installed gears. Oil pump housing is new. Had to install the front case twice because I forgot to transfer a dowel over from the old one. I hate making messy FIPG mistakes. The other admission is I went to town on the crank bolt with my big ass impact. Gun is good for far more than the 3-400 ft lbs the FSM asked for, so Im thinking its not going anywhere. I try to be exact when I torque things but I made an exception here since I'm by myself. I understand this is likely how the shops do it anyhow.

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 10.03.28 PM.png

C-clips came so I installed the pistons.

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 10.00.51 PM.png

Triple checked that I had the oil restrictor installed.

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 10.01.17 PM.png

And installed the head (bolts installed and torqued but not pictured).

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 10.00.24 PM.png

Tomorrow I'll install the cam and remaining timing stuff. I'm getting close to a stopping point with the engine itself. The powder coater's been MIA for two weeks with a few things including the valve cover and oil pan. Hoping its nothing virus related.

Looks like I have another overseas order to make for a gasket and a IP bolt. Not holding my breath for that to be timely either, but also trying to keep perspective given all the crap thats going down. Having an engine to rebuild is a luxury in quarantine.

Are you going to run the ACSD , just saw you have the coolant tube fitted? Its supposed to be painted black as well:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom