‘08 Sequoia Tailgate Latch/Switch Not Working - Part Numbers or Experience With This Problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nay

Threads
The tailgate won’t operate by the tailgate latch, only if I press the button inside the cab. The previous owner was trying to diagnose the key fob not operating at all and he has maintenance records stating at one point the electric locks would only work from the tailgate, but didn’t want to pay the Toyota dealer more to triage. I think it may be because the switch is bad in the tailgate (inferring from some google threads), one person even said their rear seat motors wouldn’t work until the tailgate stuff was repaired.

Anybody replace this stuff and have the Toyota part numbers? There is the switch, motor, the rubber cover for the switch (also completely worn almost like it melted). Appreciate any insights, there are YouTube vids on the replacement but the one I found used a 4Runner switch and had to hack swapping the wiring.

Thanks!

The tailgate won’t operate by the tailgate latch, only if I press the button inside the cab. The previous owner was trying to diagnose the key fob not operating at all and he has maintenance records stating at one point the electric locks would only work from the tailgate, but didn’t want to pay the Toyota dealer more to triage. I think it may be because the switch is bad in the tailgate (inferring from some google threads), one person even said their rear seat motors wouldn’t work until the tailgate stuff was repaired.

Anybody replace this stuff and have the Toyota part numbers? There is the switch, motor, the rubber cover for the switch (also completely worn almost like it melted). Appreciate any insights, there are YouTube vids on the replacement but the one I found used a 4Runner switch and had to hack swapping the wiring.

Thanks!
Ok more research says the OEM rubber is prone to melting into goo on the switch and that causes the issue. Amazon has a $10 part and finally found a good YouTube video.

The broader issue of the key fob not working will likely need more diagnosis and this wouldn’t affect more than gumming up the tailgate latch switch.

I’ll report back on repair as this seems like a common issue.

Last edited:
Hi, funny I just did this repair Friday night. The rubber button just got hard and was not responding, partly due to the cold New England weather too. Easy to replace and dont forget to clean and lube the locking mechanism. Mine was sticky and half the problem. Oh, word of advise. Make sure you prop up your hatch or block the door jamb after you unplug and remove the lock. The old struts in the cold will decide to let go and your hatch will drop and lock just as you turn to install with the new part in your hand. Will add a hr to your one beer job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom