'08-'12 LX570 Weird new DRL light elements (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeCKis300

GOLD Star
Threads
Here's an interesting thing that I came across and wonder if anyone's tried them. As I've not been able to find any pictures of them installed anywhere. I'm thinking they won't look great, but curious just the same.

Part of the curiosity is that I would like to fit LED bulbs to the high beams. But the DRL function is not really compatible with LEDs, as even with low voltage, the LED bulb will be almost full brightness. Don't want to run around like an idiot with high beams on full blast during the day blinding everyone.

This kit looks to fit a DRL lighting element where plastic blanks are next to the OE fogs. I can't seem to find any pics of the fixture mounted and whether they look silly or nice. Anyone else fit these?

DRL.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Set-DRL-White-Daytime-Running-Lamps-DRLs-Lamps-For-Lexus-LX570-2008-2011-s-/152018721690?fits=Make%3ALexus%7CModel%3ALX570&hash=item2365059b9a:g:WcMAAOSwxp9W6nVC&vxp=mtr

Do it!!!

I've been thinking on the 9005 LED implementation a bit too. If this works it would be great but I just don't see how they could be plug & play when the High/DRL appears to just be a single circuit with variable voltage from what I've seen so far.

Are you still running the stock fog lights? They are headlight grade H11s, same as your low beams. Funny thing is my H11 LED fogs way outperform the 9005 high beam LED, so I never use the highs. The 16+ (particularly the LX) moved to a vestigial simple single LED diode just for looks or cost cutting. No big deal but I like having a little more power behind the lamps.

@Chocolate did you have to do anything special to go to LED in the 9005 high's? I've got H11's for both low and fogs and 9005's for the highs sitting in my cart but haven't seen a thread here or at CL with what needs to be done regarding the DRL mode for the LEDs to work in the high location.

Are you still running the stock fog lights? They are headlight grade H11s, same as your low beams. Funny thing is my H11 LED fogs way outperform the 9005 high beam LED, so I never use the highs. The 16+ (particularly the LX) moved to a vestigial simple single LED diode just for looks or cost cutting. No big deal but I like having a little more power behind the lamps.

Right on the H11 fogs. I do have my fogs upgraded to LEDs and these alone have made a pretty dramatic improvement. Especially so in the peripheries.

I tried some 9005 LEDs in the high beam positions and ran into the issue of the DRL. DRL's reduce voltage which works perfect for halogens to reduce ouput. But with LEDs, it's full brightness. There should be a resistor pack somewhere that can be pulled to disable the DRL function, but I do like the safely aspect of DRL's in remote two lane highways.

tabraha, you're right the single high beam circuit would be hard to separate DRL from high beam functions. These new DRL kits seem to come with a bundle of harnesses. Unsure how they integrate with the stock functions.

@Chocolate did you have to do anything special to go to LED in the 9005 high's? I've got H11's for both low and fogs and 9005's for the highs sitting in my cart but haven't seen a thread here or at CL with what needs to be done regarding the DRL mode for the LEDs to work in the high location.

No issues with the 9005s, but they are not engaged in the low voltage mode TeCK references in the 13+ LX as the DRL is the LED strip below the lights. You may find you don't need the 9005s with quad LED H11s!

There should be a resistor pack somewhere that can be pulled to disable the DRL function

2 things I was thinking on this. First approach is to get on Techstream and disable DRL function so that the high circuit would only get lit when we want full power. With LED low beams I'd be content to pretty much run those as DRLs anyways.

The second thought is the DRL voltage reducer you mention is I believe in the front passenger corner of the engine bay. I had to relocate it as part of the Slee dual batt tray install this past weekend. If it's what I think it is then the little box on the far left edge of this pic on the batt tray's highest point is it. I have no idea what the behavior would be with this removed or with the loop closed. Surely it's similar to other applications with Toyota/Lexus.
E31AFC63-E4FF-4541-B084-BED00DABC7A8.jpg

@Chocolate you may be right about quad H11's being sufficient. But I'm also dropping a 20" rigid lightbar in for good measure. :cool: I'm really not even sure I can get both the high and low's changed to LED's with the bulb base protruding the extra bit. have you guys done this with a dual batt install? I'm thinking it's gonna be tiiiiiiiiight in that corner with a group 35 sitting in there.

Nice, didn't know the DRL's could be shutoff via techstream. Althernatively, yes that resistor pack in your pic is the right one. Should be just a matter of disconnecting it to shutoff the DRLs.

In regards to the high beam, the likely path I'll take to upgrade the 9005s is to adapt an 9011 halogen bulb. This is a very common mod done in many cars. ~1700 lumens to ~2350 lumens, with just a modification of a tab on the bulb. This way I can also not mess with the DRL function.

How's it going.

I know I am reviving an old post, BUT it somewhat discussed what I am trying to accomplish, if doable.

I have a 2011 LX. I've searched here, CL and Google since buying my LX and have not found the specific information if it exists with success of adding 9005 LED bulb and keeping DRL/high beam functioning. I read about a member installing the Hikari's but when i installed these, I lost the DRL function and returned them. I've installed 9005 LED's with DRL decoder from xenondepot on my 2011 ES350 with success but I know the LX is a different comparison, I think.

I decided to buy some LED bulbs and drl decoder from jdmastar (amazon), since they have a easier return policy. I plan to test this out tonight and hoping to hear from a member if there's been success in adding a decoder module to allow the DRL function to still work? If someone has done this, did the drl decoder work with no issues? Was the decoder dropped in the light housing in order to place dust cap back on, or was the dust cap left off? Should decoder not be used?

I appreciate any information or advice.

Thanks,
Marc

Last edited:
Hooked the led’s up with and without DRL decoder and DRL’s did not work, just high beam.

I guess I will stick with halogens

I put in the Hikari high beam less. They flashed or didn’t work as drls. In the end went back to regular bulbs. Have the leds in fog and low and marker lights.

I’m in the minority that like drls for safety.

thanks, I to want to keep the DRL's functional.

I have LED in low beam and looking to purchase some LED's for the fogs or I may get the Morimoto LED units to place in fogs, but I've tried the Hikari's and jdmastar and took them out. The morimotos are priced higher but they have great reviews are supposed to be a direct replacement.

Osram/Sylvania makes a set of OEM-quality replacement fogs which include LED fog lights and a separate LED DRL. I have a set in my LX and they have been great.

Revised: as I just noticed the link you included in your post.

Thanks electr992,

I haven’t checked out these brands yet. Re the led DRL bulb you’re using in your LX, does it keep the DRL functioning as it should and also works as a high beam?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom