02 land cruiser repaint opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since the fender bender I have decided to completely redo the truck only has 155k and the d light works.

considering changing the color currently silver. Thinking white, concrete new Toyota color, maybe Mazda maroon, thoughts if you could change your color what would it be.
80 series seem to be able to pull of yellows and orange but not the 100’s in my opinion.

what’s yours I got about 2-3 weeks to decide.

oh armor front and back will be added and a lift just for reference

and a roof rack if I can find a cool one victory has a interesting one

than

Save yourself a boat load of money

IMHO it is not worth the price

a good quality repaint will be $8000-10,000 or more

You should definitely do this.
My vote is bright blue... with lots of metal flake, like bass boat level metal flake.

I was quoted 6k to paint an otherwise solid 02. Not aweful but the lead time was. Going with a full wrap for 2800
I’ve seen some pretty good wraps lately. Mostly on European 4x4s (Range Rovers, Audis, etc). I like this temporary, less expensive option over the monsterliner unless it’s for a trail rig. And even then…

I went through this thought process a few years ago. I've always believed Land Cruisers look better in utilitarian vs. "elegant" colors. No flames, please, this is just my opinion, deeply held for 30+ years of Land Cruiser ownership. I don't like metallic, flaky or pearlescent paint on ANY Land Cruiser, and prefer the old school simple, non-metallic colors like white and khaki.

I always hated the Imperial Jade Mica that my 100 came in, and after 20 years the truck was faded, dinged, scratched and had peeling clear coat. I considered a textured paint job like some have suggested, but decided to go a different route. I couldn't find a good place to paint my truck *reasonably* here in the Austin area, so a great friend and fellow Cruiserhead offered his buddy's shop in Idaho(!), and I ended up driving the truck up there to drop it off.

Then the agonizing decision on color came. I am a sucker for greens but looked at white, the Quicksand beige of the new Tacomas, and some non-Toyota colors. I finally found one that I liked and fit my desired look for the Cruiser, it's "personality", and mine. I opted to have the side trim deleted and the holes from the wind deflector on the hatch deleted prior to painting, and I had them do the mirrors, door handles and vents in contrasting black. I have been THRILLED with the results. So thrilled, that I am considering going down a similar path with my other UZJ100, which has very oxidized white paint after a lifetime in Colorado and Texas.

Here's the old girl. I know the color is polarizing (have received positive AND negative comments about it), but I happen to love it:

newmelon7.jpg

Since the fender bender I have decided to completely redo the truck only has 155k and the d light works.

considering changing the color currently silver. Thinking white, concrete new Toyota color, maybe Mazda maroon, thoughts if you could change your color what would it be.
80 series seem to be able to pull of yellows and orange but not the 100’s in my opinion.

what’s yours I got about 2-3 weeks to decide.

oh armor front and back will be added and a lift just for reference

and a roof rack if I can find a cool one victory has a interesting one

than
I think that Mazda Maroon color, or similar, would look good. For me though, I'd probably go with some silver or greyish color. If it would never leave the pavement, I'd go with something fancier though.

I went through this thought process a few years ago. I've always believed Land Cruisers look better in utilitarian vs. "elegant" colors. No flames, please, this is just my opinion, deeply held for 30+ years of Land Cruiser ownership. I don't like metallic, flaky or pearlescent paint on ANY Land Cruiser, and prefer the old school simple, non-metallic colors like white and khaki.

I always hated the Imperial Jade Mica that my 100 came in, and after 20 years the truck was faded, dinged, scratched and had peeling clear coat. I considered a textured paint job like some have suggested, but decided to go a different route. I couldn't find a good place to paint my truck *reasonably* here in the Austin area, so a great friend and fellow Cruiserhead offered his buddy's shop in Idaho(!), and I ended up driving the truck up there to drop it off.

Then the agonizing decision on color came. I am a sucker for greens but looked at white, the Quicksand beige of the new Tacomas, and some non-Toyota colors. I finally found one that I liked and fit my desired look for the Cruiser, it's "personality", and mine. I opted to have the side trim deleted and the holes from the wind deflector on the hatch deleted prior to painting, and I had them do the mirrors, door handles and vents in contrasting black. I have been THRILLED with the results. So thrilled, that I am considering going down a similar path with my other UZJ100, which has very oxidized white paint after a lifetime in Colorado and Texas.

Here's the old girl. I know the color is polarizing (have received positive AND negative comments about it), but I happen to love it:

View attachment 2785170
What color is that?

View attachment 2785170
Avery makes a khaki color similar to this and I was eyeballing it until I realized that color will not match the LX's grayish cladding.

My tank is currently black and as much as black looks good is hard to keep clean and it's hot af right now. I noticed the roof of the LX had clear coat starting to be blotchy and want to wrap it a lighter color. Wife is not a fan of gray shades on older cars and I'm not sure I agree. From what I can envision in my head out would look great.

She likes body blue and it's nice but again it's a dark color which I'm trying to avoid

OP have you thought about maybe a wrap?

Avery makes a khaki color similar to this and I was eyeballing it until I realized that color will not match the LX's grayish cladding.

My tank is currently black and as much as black looks good is hard to keep clean and it's hot af right now. I noticed the roof of the LX had clear coat starting to be blotchy and want to wrap it a lighter color. Wife is not a fan of gray shades on older cars and I'm not sure I agree. From what I can envision in my head out would look great.

She likes body blue and it's nice but again it's a dark color which I'm trying to avoid

OP have you thought about maybe a wrap?
I’ve wrapped a cat for a business in the past it was 4K dollars that was in 2008 I didn’t love quality I can check again to see what’s changed good idea! Thanks

I’ve wrapped a cat for a business in the past it was 4K dollars that was in 2008 I didn’t love quality I can check again to see what’s changed good idea! Thanks
I plan on doing it myself, i've done some minor things like chrome deletes and what not, the good thing with the LX and the cladding, i dont have a lot of material to work with as the cladding takes half of the door.

Choosing a colour...Help !
I am quite likely going to repaint my '99 100 series a different colour and am considering the Lunar Rock grey.
But how will it look with a beige interior? Not too sure it would work, so I am looking for suggestions.
Most people have suggested to keep it a old school Toyota colour.
I want it to be low key with not too much flash and plan to paint the mirrors, door handles and rear vents in black. Plus I have deleted the body trim. Any photos of repainted trucks or suggestions for suitable colours. The Quicksand colour looks nice, but a bit too flashy for me.

LC bare.jpg

LC beige.PNG

If you're going to color change, go big. Bright blue, green, purple, cement. Teal perhaps?

Wrapping a cat sounds awfully tough so I can see the quality being off. A car should be easier.

I'll see myself out...

Sandstorm from the FJ trail teams could work, especially with the black bits you are adding. Lighter than quicksand and would work with your interior. If you had gray interior I would do cement gray or lunar rock.

1640833699467.png

I didn’t ask if I could afford it? Lol I asked what colors

I hate it when people count my money…

I tend to bring up cost on these threads (I didn't here, but I often do) because most people are just totally clueless what a "real" paint job actually costs. Not necessarily that it is or isn't worth it, but more of a friendly FYI. The discussion on color options seem a bit dumb after we all realize the OP had budgeted one weekend and $400 to do a full color change. They realize it's actually a $5,000-10,000 job and takes most shops 1-3 months and say something like "nevermind, decided to bedline it for $200 with my buddy with a case of bud." 🤷

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom