‘00 LX470 no start after ignition cam bolt broke (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Christmas Eve the LX470 left me stranded with the key spinning in the ignition, but no go. Visited the web for common problems and found this video. No problem…got the rig home via AAA, and opened it up.

After 2.5 hours of digging out the old busted part, I had it clean. Ordered the new replacement bolt/shaft from Amazon for $8-10.

With the thought of my ignition switch being 23/24 yrs old I opted for a new one. Everything went together with the new shaft and ignition switch installed at the ACC position so the key/barrel can engage properly.

I made sure to plug in the small plug that I assume has to do with the key security circuit talks to. (Plugs into the glowing ring.

The truck cranks, but feels like the battery is dying. (note: battery is 4.5 years old, but the dash has it above 14volt, and slowly drains)

I have no idea what I’m missing? Is there two ways to put the crank/cam rod in? The wheel locks when ignition is off. Could it be a fuse?

Suggestions or help are greatly appreciated! I hate to get this towed to the mechanic for something I’m so close on!

Thanks,
Ken

Check for a loose or corroded ground cable that is connected between the battery & the engine block, also check the battery terminals if they haven't been replaced.

Check for a loose or corroded ground cable that is connected between the battery & the engine block, also check the battery terminals if they haven't been replaced.
Fairgame, thank you for the tips. I forgot about the battery grounds and having clean connections.

Those will be my first steps.

PROBLEM RESOLVED:

Turns out Fairgame was right- thank you for the tip/reminder. Dirty connections plus a 5yr battery were the problem. Replaced the battery today and booom, back in business.

Went with a Walmart unit because of the nationwide availability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom