FORUM MARKING - experimenting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

Staff member
Admin
Threads
One of the new features of this software version is the forum marking system...rather than working on a time-out basis like the previous version (where posts were marked read after 20 minutes, regardless if you read them or not), this current setting will keep them alive until you either a> read them or b> click the "mark all read" button at the bottom of the main page.

I'm going to run this for a few days to see what effects it has on server loads...no promises that it'll stay forever, it may drag the server pretty hard.

If it does however, a server upgrade will occur in Dec :D

not yet...working on that one....

It WAS selectable in the old software, and the hack for this version hasn't come out yet...I finally gave up waiting for it...but will reactivate the selectable curse filter ASAP

woody said:
b> click the "mark all read" button at the bottom of the main page.

For those frantically trying to reread the entire board, or trying to mark each individual forum as read:
read.JPG

or, if you opt to only mark ONE specific forum as read, here is that selection....
markforumread.jpg

Seems to be working better today - my edit window was showing up gray last night. What ever you do man - don't turn on the "key word" advertising crap like Pirate did ... the links aren't even relevent :rolleyes:

I'd rather send you money myself if it comes down to that ;)

Tucker

it's one or the other....

the EASY way is to click the "mark all read" button prior to logging out at the end of the day. I'm VERY used to that since once I've scanned the forum, it's automatic.

The Mark-read system is much nicer for those who may log on at 8am, and not have time to hit all the threads of interest in 20 minutes...

it's a admin-side setting....and one that 90% of the users were begging for when the forum switched from YaBBSE (which used the persistent mark read system) to vBulletin (which used the persistent mark read in 2.0.x, lost it in 3.0.x, and now has it back in 3.5.x)

Not selectable.

Tried a NEW setting, see how this works now....

curious to server loads as well......

did you do something to have the login info disappear after a while? Used to stay on forever, now I have to relog every so often....

I do like the permanent marking. Much better. Otherwise I can't remember what I looked at or not when I come back later.

login's should last "forever"...however there have been oddities with that for years....see the main FAQ for a couple tricks to staying logged in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom