After a crash course... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fyton2v

SILVER Star
Threads
in compression, valve adjustments, timing, vacuum, idle and idle mixture, I can't believe how much better my engine is running. Quiet and smooth.

You guys rock. Thanks to everyone who helped fill in my blanks. Now I need to see if this thing will pass a CA smog test. It has all the EGR equipment, but I have no idea if it’s in working order.

George

Glad its running well. Did you also go through and do basic service stuff like the Front Axle, Rad Flush, etc.

It's a great feeling to be clueless, and figure out how to do it yourself (with the help of IH8MUD and friends). I speak from experiance

Changing all fluids is next on my list. Except for the oil. Did that the other day.

fyton2v said:
in compression, valve adjustments, timing, vacuum, idle and idle mixture, I can't believe how much better my engine is running. Quiet and smooth.

You guys rock. Thanks to everyone who helped fill in my blanks. Now I need to see if this thing will pass a CA smog test. It has all the EGR equipment, but I have no idea if it’s in working order.

George

Thats why this place is great!

Now if you REALLY want to share the love - buy a star from Woody!! :D

Calm before the storm..........

:)

fyton2v said:
Now I need to see if this thing will pass a CA smog test. It has all the EGR equipment, but I have no idea if it’s in working order.

George

Pull a vacuum on the vacuum line for the EGR actuator at idle and the engine should slow or stall if the EGR is working. Also check for a vacuum on the actuator line from the VSV that increases with RPM. Use a gauge or put a piece of vinyl electical tape over the end and look for the suction depressing the tape.

They used to actually test the operation of that stuff, but now is is all in the tail pipe sniffer in "test only" stations.

PabloCruise said:
WAs that something I should have just thought, instead of said?

Let's see... A 28 year old car and a mechanic with no experience.... There is a storm brewing indeed. Should be a blast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom