Alternator brush change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2ndGenToyotaFan

Threads
Website
www.jeffersonstatecruisers.com
Why do my charge and brake lights keep coming on at the same time? It's alternator brush time! :D

Should take about an hour, give or take your bannana rating :D

This is for a 22RE, but the 3VZE will be about the same.

Step one: Disconnect battery!!!!!! We don't need to learn how to weld while doing this project....

Remove the alt from the vehicle.... on the 22R/RE it will come out the bottom with some dificulty... I was ablt to get mine out without draining the coolant and removing the lower rad hose, because the lower coolant tube that is attached to the block near the engine mount was not bolted on... it barely slipped out, but that's all you need.

On the 3VZE I think it comes out the top, but it's been a while since I did that one.

One it's out, you need to remove the end cover, then pull out the brush holder (See blue circled screws) on my 89 22RE it was in an orange rubber thing.
alt1.JPG
alt2.JPG
alt3.JPG

Last edited:
When I saw the condition of the shaft in my alt, and the relativley good condition of the brushes, I was doubtfull that the brushes were the problem, but it did do the trick.

Once the brush holder is out, pry it out of the rubber thing.

The 2 soldered connectors will need to be unsoldered.
alt7.JPG
alt5.JPG
alt8.JPG

Here's the ~ $6 dollar part....

With the old brushes out, the new ones can be soldered in, just make sure you leave enough room for the new brushes to extend almost all the way out of the holder... Make sense?

Here's a good site on how to solder electronics:

http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/solder.htm
alt box.JPG
alt9.JPG
alt brush2.JPG

Last edited:
Great tech. For the record, if folks don't want to do the solder work the brushes in the holder are available from Toyota for $16.90 list ($12.68 CDan). The brushes are available from Toyota too. $3.60 ($2.70) for brushes, and the springs are a buck ($.75), each.

Most Toyota alternators take the replacement brush holders, my Camry does. My FJ60 alternator does not.

While there are Alternators out there that do require oil cooling, I have only heard of it on heavy equipment or commercial transport vehicles. never seen it personally, and certainly not on a mini-truck.

While there are Alternators out there that do require oil cooling, I have only heard of it on heavy equipment or commercial transport vehicles. never seen it personally, and certainly not on a mini-truck.
Mine has Oil lines, otherwise how would it be lubricated?

I can't tell WTF those are pictures of, but I don't see an alternator in there ANYWHERE.

I can't tell WTF those are pictures of, but I don't see an alternator in there ANYWHERE.
Nah, you're right, those Oil lines are for my Turbo. :idea:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom