Rear Amby Doors when Running a Soft Top? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

D

Dirt_is_our_friend

On my '78 cruiser i am going to put the soft top on here very soon and the rear doors or lack of them is what has me scratching my head. The bottom 1/2 of the tub is uncovered where the doors go. So should i buy a set of the 1/2 doors that came on the older 40's and use that when i have the softop in use or what?If anybody knows (which i am sure you do) please tell me cause i wanna run w/o my hardtop! 8)

When I pulled my hard top i croped my ambu doors to the same highth as the rest of the body then i welded a part of body from a junk car over the hole and put new latches in. then I painted the new caps to mach the rest of the fj. It came out nice.

yea but i wanna keep my amby doors without having to cut them. Thats one of the things that drew my to my cruiser!

the PO of my 40 cut out a wooden tailgate and just put a piece of checkerplate on it. it works well with the top off and looks pretty straight forward to make, and i would assume it's pretty cheap too.

There are a couple of options with this, I did some research when I was going to run a soft top.. you can buy early half doors with Latches and hardware, but you will have to drill the body to accomadate the lower hinges. You can also purchase the rare and tough to find drop-down rear tailgate that came on the factory softop models. Other cheaper options are to purchase a pre-made plate that fits the rear (SOR and Man-afre sell these for about $80.00) they bolt right on to the existing amby door lower hinge mounts.. There are also some companies out there that make aftermaerket drop down gates with storage in them, but they are pretty pricey.. good luck.

Mike

thanks off camber..............i am going to be doing a frame off resto here real soon and sounds like another thing to add my list!

i think somebody offers an aftermarket drop down gate with a hidden storage compartment inside, just can't remeber who. looked real neat thought

thanks tuck, that was the one i was thinkg about. your right it is on the high side but sho does look nice!

[quote author=Velocity link=board=1;threadid=13325;start=msg123188#msg123188 date=1079623591]
On my '78 cruiser i am going to put the soft top on here very soon and the rear doors or lack of them is what has me scratching my head. The bottom 1/2 of the tub is uncovered where the doors go. So should i buy a set of the 1/2 doors that came on the older 40's and use that when i have the softop in use or what?If anybody knows (which i am sure you do) please tell me cause i wanna run w/o my hardtop! 8)
[/quote]
I use the Tuffy box,lid opens and has a door in the rear.lockable and holds a ton of stuff.Does not work with jump seats.

You should do something like this:
http://store.yahoo.com/coolfj40/tailgatefj40.html

The girl costs extra of course!

You can find similar products on other pages for around $50. I have one that looks similar and is painted the same color as the rest of my FJ40.

my buddy(PO of my ride) found a fiberglass piece that fills the rear. it looks like a set of the foldout half gates, but it does'nt open or fold down(although that would'nt take much to do).
imho it looks better than just a flat piece of ________. but i can't remember where it came from :doh:

it's mounted using the lower hinge from the amby doors on both sides, and a bracket in the middle on the inside.

*thought i'd edit this to flaunt some real time pic posting*
gate.JPG

I have the aquala storage. It is a little expensive but it worked great. No leaks. I saw tailgates made by the person in Pakistain. It looked sweet. What do you think about using a cut piece of marine grade plywood. This would be real cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom