FJ-62 T-case actuator solenoids (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was always able to disengage my 4wd with a little pop of the vacumn lines. It will not do so now. Anyone ever replaced theirs...??? Is there a cheaper alternative than dealer? Thanks.

Do a search for mac valves, thats the option i went with. It gets away from the failure prone toyota solenoids all together.

Others have found junkyard parts that interchange, i think the a/c idle up solenoid from some cars works, again search and ye shall find.

Matt

I went with probably the most reliable option you can go (same principle as the Mac Valves method, but I took it two steps further and made it look factory), but it's quite a bit of work, and my lazy ass STILL hasn't gotten the rest of the pics I need to finish the writeup I was going to post several months ago :rolleyes:

I posted a thread about it a while back with a couple pics of the finished product, and one day here I'll get the damn writeup finished.

Ironic I did that much work and now I'm planning to install an FJ60 tcase so I can have fully mechanical shifting :doh:

Edit: Here's a thread with a bit of info on what I did and what I used. I'll try to get that writeup done and posted ASAP.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=73913

Last edited:
The tiny url isn't working...I am really up for anything

Thanks for the info. Overhanger, I am interested to find out what you used...

mas

Junkyard source a late 80's toyota 4wd van, uses the same type of set up. Although they are larger than the stock ones (won't fit in bracket) their electrical connetions are the same so no messing with wiring.

Thanks a bunch Steve...

Ordered the parts up today. Overhanger- do you have a pic of the final product? Maybe I could take a few pics for the FAQ section???

I'll take one or two this afternoon and post them up. It's so easy to do the install it hurts.

Moody said:
Ordered the parts up today. Overhanger- do you have a pic of the final product? Maybe I could take a few pics for the FAQ section???

Excuse my 62 ignorance, but is this solenoid usually the cause for the 4WD to not engage? My son & I got a neglected 62 last week and discovered the transfer case won't disengage.

There are two solenoids used in the FJ62 T/case shifting system - one to engage and one to disengage. The disengage is on whenever you are in 2WD so it is the one that gives up the ghost first. Swap the vacuum hoses between the two solenoids for the time being to get back to 2WD. You'll have to push the 4WD button to disengage the front drive when the hoses are reversed.

Pics

Here ya go. I don't understand why some have a problem with "messing with the wiring harness" when all you have to do is crimp on two new spade lugs. For around $20, to have a Toyota part doing what it is designed to do is worth it. Mac valves? Who needs them is my thinking.
SolCons.JPG
ConSol.JPG

The reason i went with the MAC valves is that its barely any more expensive (cost me $35 for 2 valves, fittings, and mufflers) and i was hoping to find an alternative that would last longer than the yota valves. If the toyota valves were all that great there wouldnt be umpteen threads about replacing them on this board.

Ditto this. Big price difference from what my dealer wanted for the stock part ($412!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

overhanger said:
from a 90-1 Celica for the AC idle up, list price is $17.60 part # is 88690
2B340

I look forward to hearing back from you in 18 years or so how your Mac valves are holding up. In the meantime, a stock Toyota part that uses stock bracketry, hoses and requires minimum wiring rework that costs less than $20 and can be purchased at every Toyota dealers on the planet, is my choice of fix. The first one lasted 18 years or about $1 per year. I wish it lasted forever but hey....
:cheers:

QUOTE=agent orange]The reason i went with the MAC valves is that its barely any more expensive (cost me $35 for 2 valves, fittings, and mufflers) and i was hoping to find an alternative that would last longer than the yota valves. If the toyota valves were all that great there wouldnt be umpteen threads about replacing them on this board.[/QUOTE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom