Whitewater, SC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was lookign through some old pictures the last few weeks and came accross some pic of my dad in the 70's going offroading. Pictures say Sunday ride from Whitewater, SC to Rosman, NC. Anyone know of trails there? I would love to go down some of the same trails!!
11-29-2005 07;34;12PM.JPG

I would suspect this is in the Muster Ground area, on the north side of Lake Jocassee. Rosman is much further east and north. This must have been one heck of a days ride. That may be the whitewater river they are crossing.

I'd imagine some of that area is underwater now Hartwell, Jocassee, and Keowee were built in the late 60's through the mid 70's. There has also been a fair bit of development up that way with all the Cliffs communities.

That's a good picture. If mom and dad are still around today, ask them if they remember the 4-wheel drive park on highway 11 about 2 miles west of the Holly Springs 4-way stop.

Unfortunately, My dad passed in an accident in '83 (same type bronco) and I seriously doubt Mom remembers, but I will check with her.

Are the trails still open today? Thanks for the props on the pic. I would guess my dad took it. And mom was driving accross or visa versa. I have a few more that are rather decent. One good one of a LC.

I also found some pictures of dirt racing? Looks like trucks racing a course and maybe some uphill drags? All that I could tell were 4x4, full size trucks, j**ps, LC's, or original style broncos.

I need to host them so I can post and not have to worry about having to delete another pic. (They are on my CPU at home.) I did find on-line that there are several hiking trails near there as well. Were they around in the mid 70's?

Last edited:
The off-road park I mentioned is the land I own up there. I bought it back in 2000 and found out about the Off-road park after I bought it. There are remnants of the trails still today, with one main trail that still leads to the top. That trail cost me a birfield about 3 years ago.

I would love to see the other pics, especially the hill-climb. Perhaps it was taken on my property.

Might have been. I will hopefully get those picks to Trollhole at lunch or after work today!
:)

That woudl be awesome if it was. I would love to go on it. What kind of mods are needed to make the trail? Hopefully after Christmas I will be able to have the 4" and 33's on. But no locker yet. :(

Hey Jim how long you been holdin out on this trail. We're always lookin for new places to wheel. We could kill 2 birds with one stone, have a new place to wheel and keep an eye on your place while you're gone.

That's a great pic. Can't wait to see the rest. Hope the guys can help solve the location.

ahhhh...

The good old days were before the lakes and the Gov't ruined our local
playgrounds. I can't wait to see the other pictures! Brings back great memories.
Captn's driveway is 4wd only. The hill climb will require lockers and a winch
wouldn't hurt. It is SLICK coming down that thing.
The race course was setup by Hinkle J**Ps back in the day.
Jim's headed this way for Christmas and may be here for awhile then.
Maybe we can do some wheeling/partying then. :)
Muster Grounds is still open too.
I'd love to drag that new FJ Cruiser into the MG. LOL....we wouldn't even
get it scratched. Great area for photo shoot too.

Working on the pics now. its comming from my erskine account so look for it in a few.

Just sent you 4 emails with pics attached. Looking fwd to the comments from all of you.

Got to love the 70's!! Esp the guy with the fro and big beard!

Last edited:
CruisinTiger said:
Hey Jim how long you been holdin out on this trail. We're always lookin for new places to wheel. We could kill 2 birds with one stone, have a new place to wheel and keep an eye on your place while you're gone.

The only trail remaining will become my driveway to my future new house at the top of the mountain. Many of us have done this trail the weekend prior to gsmtr. The other trails are all overgrown and don't appear to have been used in the past 20 or more years. I don't intend to re-open them as this will now be my yard.:rolleyes:

Next time I'm up, you'll all be invited for a BBQ and hill climb. Like Gundy said, Lockers are a necessity to make it, a winch has been helpful in the past, too. Its a fairly short climb but fun.

I guarantee the beer will be cold.:beer:

Looking forward to see more of 89's pics.

Jim your going to love these photos.

Matt great job on digging them up. They would great pics for Woodys into pics. I'll PM him and see what he thinks.

Great find.

11-30-200508;56;53PM.JPG

11-30-200508;55;43PM.JPG

11-30-200508;50;37PM.JPG

11-30-200508;48;43PM.JPG

11-30-200508;46;19PM.JPG

11-30-200508;45;24PM.JPG

And here they are! Great job Matt!

11-30-200508;28;53PM.JPG

11-29-200507;28;31PM.JPG

These last two are classic. A cruiser going through.

11-29-200507;26;21PM.JPG

and the jeep not making it and being pulled out by the cruiser. Check out those duds!

11-30-200508;23;11PM.JPG

Thanks Torollhole! I have a few more, but didnt want to overwhelm everyone. Those are most of the cruiser ones though.

Most of the B&W are of the whitewater, SC trip. (except the few where the bronco is in the mudd.)

2 different sets from the dirt racing. One was mud racing (Columbia, I think) and other i dont know, but is a different place. Others might be from Capt jims place?? Maybe not?

I love looking through old pics and actually getting to see what my dad was into then and stuff. I mentioned he passed in '83. So I was 2 then, dont remember anything really and these are great memories. And to see where I get at least some of my love for cars! A few of these even have my mom in them. Which is crazy as I doubt she would do some of the stuff like back in the day!

Thanks again and hope you guys enjoy!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom