75 series spring swap on my 55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is the beginning of my 75 series spring swap into my FJ55. this is my first thread on mud so I thought it would be good to start small.

I wanted a 2.5" lift spring for my 55 to go with some SOR lift shackles for a total of close to 4" with the goal of running 33x10.50s. after researching the options on lifting my 55 I came to the conclusion that custom was really the only way. I even have leaf springs that I ordered from Alcan on monday but I'm gonna cancel tomorrow. the las two days I have done some more poking into the options and decided to scrap the Alcans and go with a 75 series 2.5" lift spring form OME for a couple reasons.
-heard mixed reviews on the alcans
-OME is a proven springs and Im guaranteed a quality product
-I WON'T EVER HAVE TO ORDER COSTUMS AGAIN.
-Its cheaper
-and its cool

The work involved on this swap is minimal. after gathering information and chattin up some cruiser friends i found that the 75 series spring matches the front 55 stock hanger and shackle almost perfectly. the pin location moves the the front axle forward about a half inch (not enough to effect drive live length). the fronts are bolt up. the rears are a little different. from the stock frame hanger location the 75 spring keeps the 55 rear axle in its stock location. but on the back side the springs are longer. it requires you drill out the shackle hanger rivets move them back 5" and weld them in. I saw a 55 with 75 series springs on it today that was a work in progress and I really liked it.

I'm confirming the order for the 75 series springs in the morning with Kurt @ cruiser outfitters. I will get you updates and pics tomorrow. Let me know what you guys think of the idea.

thanks to Kurt, Andre, and Scott for your help.

This is the beginning of my 75 series spring swap into my FJ55. this is my first thread on mud so I thought it would be good to start small.

I wanted a 2.5" lift spring for my 55 to go with some SOR lift shackles for a total of close to 4" with the goal of running 33x10.50s. after researching the options on lifting my 55 I came to the conclusion that custom was really the only way. I even have leaf springs that I ordered from Alcan on monday but I'm gonna cancel tomorrow. the las two days I have done some more poking into the options and decided to scrap the Alcans and go with a 75 series 2.5" lift spring form OME for a couple reasons.
-heard mixed reviews on the alcans
-OME is a proven springs and Im guaranteed a quality product
-I WON'T EVER HAVE TO ORDER COSTUMS AGAIN.
-Its cheaper
-and its cool

The work involved on this swap is minimal. after gathering information and chattin up some cruiser friends i found that the 75 series spring matches the front 55 stock hanger and shackle almost perfectly. the pin location moves the the front axle forward about a half inch (not enough to effect drive live length). the fronts are bolt up. the rears are a little different. from the stock frame hanger location the 75 spring keeps the 55 rear axle in its stock location. but on the back side the springs are longer. it requires you drill out the shackle hanger rivets move them back 5" and weld them in. I saw a 55 with 75 series springs on it today that was a work in progress and I really liked it.

I'm confirming the order for the 75 series springs in the morning with Kurt @ cruiser outfitters. I will get you updates and pics tomorrow. Let me know what you guys think of the idea.

Welcome to the board.

I just did this swap on my 55 about two weeks ago. Mine took a bit longer than expected, I had to tear apart a locker and replace a leaky diff gasket. The easy part was relocating the shackles hangers.

Before you get started I can send you some pics of my install, if you'd like.

I got the springs from Kurt as well, I spoke with......damn cannot remember his name, at Proffits Cruisers in Co, whomever it was gave some great advice. The springs are heavy mothers, I removed the bottom two leaves. I was considering taking another one more out but I am glad that I did not. It is a wonderful ride and the few trails that I have taken them on, they perform wonderfully!!!!!

I easily clear 33's and I am sure after my custom tank is done and the bumper is put together they will weigh it down a little more. I will still have plenty of lift though.

Best of luck, let me know if I can help.

Ryan

this sounds great, i have heard this is a 'reasonably' easy mod. i will be following this thread for sure.

welcome archie, this will be a great addition to suspension options for folks when you get this done. just a simple write-up with pics as you do it will be enough info for most.

Any photos or writeups on this, if not would you mind providing a write-up upon completion. TIA

Here is my original posting on the 75 springs into an FJ55. I did not do any sort of photo documentation but rather I just explained how to do it.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj55-iron-pig-preservation-society/203518-ome-fj55-suspension.html

Let me know what you guys think of the idea.

It's a great addition to a 55 and I was in the same boat you are. I did not want custom springs made so that is why I started searching and measuring for different spring options. Luckily, we had a set of 75 OME springs laying around the shop and that is when I noticed the similarities.

I suggest relocating your rear shackle hanger to 1" forward from the nearest frame rivet. This will give you a nice shackle angle. I moved mine back a little too far and the shackle hanger is actually touching the rivet. My shackle is a little too straight up and down, creating a bit of a harsh ride when unloaded. I would like to move my shackle hangers forward 1" to improve the ride a little. It's one of the many things on my to do list.

Welcome to the board.

I just did this swap on my 55 about two weeks ago.......

I got the springs from Kurt as well, I spoke with......damn cannot remember his name, at Proffits Cruisers in Co, whomever it was gave some great advice.........

Ryan

Your welcome! ;) The name is John. I'm glad you found the info useful.

I'm glad people are jumping on the 75 spring FJ55 install band wagon. I have had mine on for almost a year and a half, (6,000+ miles) and it is all working fine.

Good luck with your install.

thanks for all the info and links.

I suggest relocating your rear shackle hanger to 1" forward from the nearest frame rivet. This will give you a nice shackle angle. I moved mine back a little too far and the shackle hanger is actually touching the rivet. My shackle is a little too straight up and down, creating a bit of a harsh ride when unloaded. I would like to move my shackle hangers forward 1" to improve the ride a little. It's one of the many things on my to do list.

I'm going to move the hangers back the standard 5". I have seen this lift installed and I like the shackle angle. I am running longer lift shackles from SOR, that already give me about 1.5" lift. So that gives me a better angle, and Im running the light springs.

I confirmed my order with Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters this morning

Part number Quantity
CS006F 2
CS006R 2

the springs come in light, medium, and heavy. this is my daily driver so I opted for the light. the light is a 7 leaf spring with three overloads from what I understand so that should be plenty of spring. took some pics tonight, but having trouble loading them. I will get them up tomorrow.

This sounds great, I am looking forward to some pictures. Generally speaking, what re 75 series OME springs going for?

aww crap john i forgot you did 75 springs,, duh !! i owe ya beer for that one.

No worries. I will however take you up on that beer though;)

thanks for all the info and links.

I'm going to move the hangers back the standard 5". I have seen this lift installed and I like the shackle angle. I am running longer lift shackles from SOR, that already give me about 1.5" lift. So that gives me a better angle, and Im running the light springs.

I confirmed my order with Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters this morning

Part number Quantity
CS006F 2
CS006R 2

the springs come in light, medium, and heavy. this is my daily driver so I opted for the light. the light is a 7 leaf spring with three overloads from what I understand so that should be plenty of spring. took some pics tonight, but having trouble loading them. I will get them up tomorrow.

5" back is about the same as what I am talking about. We are talking about a 1/8" difference.

What are you doing for bushings?

The fronts: You can go with an OMESB1 which is a late model 40 busing with the larger ID of 18mm but with the correct shoulder width. Or you can go with factory 60 bushings and shave the shoulders down a little.

The rears are special to the 75 series and you can go with an OMESB16 and shave them down to fit between the spring hangers. Or you can order the factory 75 spring bushings direct from Toyota. They are part #: 90385-18009
Either way, you will have to shave them down a little.

Awesome, I'm glad you took the plunge... Definitely looking forward to some pics and glad you got to cruise up to Scott's and take a look at his setup... Cheers! Andre

You could also go with 60 series fronts - they are the same length as the 55 fronts, whereas the 75 fronts are 40mm longer to the shackle end. You might also consider ditching the bushing in the front spring and use the 40mm OD bushes as found in the rear 75 springs.

You could also go with 60 series fronts - they are the same length as the 55 fronts, whereas the 75 fronts are 40mm longer to the shackle end. You might also consider ditching the bushing in the front spring and use the 40mm OD bushes as found in the rear 75 springs.

I need to do some measuring of springs, I've got another set of the CS006F on their way and plenty of CS004F's to play with. I really want to lay the two side by side and compare contrast the CS001F,2F,3F,4F and 6F for all the 40/45/55/60 owners out there getting custom with their suspensions. Sixty's Guy put together a spreadsheet of variables, I'd like to double check and expand on that. I've got a couple customers running the CS006F's on their FJ55's (Scott for example, I know he is here on Mud but can't remember his name) and they seem to work great.

Ryan (73fj55), I owe you a call tomorrow, mabey the CS006F's would work better in your situation?? I measured a set before AJ's were picked up and I can compare them to the CS004F's that you have? Lets sort all this out.

PS, AJ... where are some progress pics, your dad grabbed your springs this morning, don't you have them installed yet :D

PSS, AJ. Post some pics of your beast. Can you beleive all the times you've been down to my place and all the parts I've sent home with you... I've never seen it. I'm going to start calling it "Nessy" :p

I need to do some measuring of springs, I've got another set of the CS006F on their way and plenty of CS004F's to play with. I really want to lay the two side by side and compare contrast the CS001F,2F,3F,4F and 6F for all the 40/45/55/60 owners out there getting custom with their suspensions. Sixty's Guy put together a spreadsheet of variables, I'd like to double check and expand on that. I've got a couple customers running the CS006F's on their FJ55's (Scott for example, I know he is here on Mud but can't remember his name) and they seem to work great.

Ryan (73fj55), I owe you a call tomorrow, mabey the CS006F's would work better in your situation?? I measured a set before AJ's were picked up and I can compare them to the CS004F's that you have? Lets sort all this out.

PS, AJ... where are some progress pics, your dad grabbed your springs this morning, don't you have them installed yet :D

PSS, AJ. Post some pics of your beast. Can you beleive all the times you've been down to my place and all the parts I've sent home with you... I've never seen it. I'm going to start calling it "Nessy" :p

Kurt,

Can you clarify what these p/n applications are? That would be most useful!

This is turning into a great thread - all we need are some actual pictures.

I bet the longer spring makes for an even nicer ride...

I can't wait to hear how this turns out

Kurt,

Can you clarify what these p/n applications are? That would be most useful!

This is turning into a great thread - all we need are some actual pictures.

I bet the longer spring makes for an even nicer ride...

I can't wait to hear how this turns out
ARB part #'s are:

CS001F are 40 series front light loads
CS002F are 40 series front heavy loads
CS003F are 60 series front light loads (gas)
CS004F are 60 series front heavy loads (gas); front light diesel
CS005F are 60 series front heavy loads (diesel)
CS006F are 75 series front light loads (gas and diesel); also front heavies for gas but use a different firm shock
CS007F are 75 series front heavy loads (diesel)

Hope that helps.

Yes, the longer rear springs help the ride.

Mud sucks sometimes, I have just been have issues loading pics, I'll work on it tonight.

Ok so for an update. springs came in yesterday, thanks kurt. shipping was super fast. While waiting for the springs a kept myself busy with a knuckle rebuild. there are a million threads on it so I won't go into details but it turned out great. and if you are planning one soon and have not ever done one, buy way more paper towels than you think you need. I will try to get pics up.

As for the springs they look awesome. the 75 spring packs are very impressive (I ordered the lights, part #'s CS006R, and CS006F). looked at the fronts tonight and I'm going to have some bushing issues I will post details when I come up with a solution but I think they may have to be clearanced. my plan is to do the front springs while the truck is still on the jack stands, the brake lines are disconnected from the knuckle rebuild last weekend. hope fully by saturday I will have the fronts done so I can turn it around in my drive way and do the rears on sunday.

Kurt, took a look at the bushings tonight, I think I might have to to do some milling on the bushings to make the width work in the the 55 hangers. that outside collar makes them a bout an 1/4 too wide, but i think I can make it work. bushings are in the freezer.:D

P.S. You have given us I nice deadline to get her all wrapped up. I really wanna have it rolling for that picnic.

Mud sucks sometimes, I have just been have issues loading pics, I'll work on it tonight.

Ok so for an update. springs came in yesterday, thanks kurt. shipping was super fast. While waiting for the springs a kept myself busy with a knuckle rebuild. there are a million threads on it so I won't go into details but it turned out great. and if you are planning one soon and have not ever done one, buy way more paper towels than you think you need. I will try to get pics up.

As for the springs they look awesome. the 75 spring packs are very impressive (I ordered the lights, part #'s CS006R, and CS006F). looked at the fronts tonight and I'm going to have some bushing issues I will post details when I come up with a solution but I think they may have to be clearanced. my plan is to do the front springs while the truck is still on the jack stands, the brake lines are disconnected from the knuckle rebuild last weekend. hope fully by saturday I will have the fronts done so I can turn it around in my drive way and do the rears on sunday.

Kurt, took a look at the bushings tonight, I think I might have to to do some milling on the bushings to make the width work in the the 55 hangers. that outside collar makes them a bout an 1/4 too wide, but i think I can make it work. bushings are in the freezer.:D

P.S. You have given us I nice deadline to get her all wrapped up. I really wanna have it rolling for that picnic.
You will have to shave the front bushings down a little. I used a belt sander and took off the entire OME bushing part #. Pretty easy, no big deal. I take it that you are using the 60 bushing part #? If you use the late model 40 bushing OMESB1 bushing kits as I mentioned above, you don't have to do any shaving. Have fun, it's pretty easy.

If you use the late model 40 bushing OMESB1 bushing kits as I mentioned above, you don't have to do any shaving. Have fun, it's pretty easy.

Thats a set of 6 of the 60 series bush as well as the late 40.

Try this one OMESB79. It is a bush kit to suit the rear of the 45/47 series. The kit comes with 2 standard FJ55 bushes and 4 other bushes that are essentially 6o series bushes, but with the narrow flange the same as the FJ55 bushes. These will fit the front springs (you will need 3 kits).

OME do make a bush that is a close fit for the rear, but it might be just as easy to shave the 75 series bushes.

Do the rear OME 75 springs have the metal sleeves in them like the 60's do?

Last edited:
update,

they have the sleeves, its a very nice spring. I'm seeing you can't go wrong with OME. I can't wait to see how they ride.

front springs are in and the car is turned around in the driveway to do the rear ( I have pretty limited space).

I'm waiting for those sweet 1 3/4" 75 bushings that should be here monday. but I should get the hanger moved back tomorrow. and by then I will figure pics out. I promise a lot of pics in the final write up, I think my problem is the files are too big.

P.S. I'm also in the market for another pig. I think I found a sweet one. I will let you know if the deal comes through:D

Thats a set of 6 of the 60 series bush as well as the late 40.

What I meant, was that you can use the OMESB1 kits (2 kits required) for the front springs. No modifications (shaving) to the bushings are necessary but the bushings provided in the OMESB1 kits won't fit the frame side of the FJ55. But, you can order the frame side bushings from Specter or there is a NAPA part # that may still be good.

For the rear, you will have to buy the factory Toyota bushings (part # provided in one of my previous posts) from your local Toyota dealer. Yes....those bushings are available new from a US Toyota dealer. Or.....you can use the OME 75 spring bushings. Either way, you will have to shave down the flanges for the bushings to fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom