Project FJ35 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
I haven't worked on my '65 45LV or been around here for a couple years due to my wife getting and remaining very sick, but I've recently started to work on the wagon again so I'll start posting up pics of any progress. I broke silence last week by showing up in the FJ25 section to let some old friends over there know I'm still alive, and figured I'd post here as well.

If there are some here that are new and not familiar with me or my LV, I bought it from Marv specter back in 2004, and immediately started to convert it to the looks of a FJ35LV. The 35V and LV were the only vehicles of the entire 30 series of 1960, with a total production of 60 vehicles. All I've got to go from is 2 existing FJ35 photos and a sales brochure. Here's a couple pics of a real 35, my LV as I bought it, and how it looks today.

Gene
FJ35V.jpeg
MarvGREENFJ45wagon.JPG
PROJECT FJ35.JPG

Don't think I'll be making the 45Run this year Jerod. I hope to make it in 2009 if things look up for us.

Thanks Mark. As soon as I pick up the wagon from SOR I'll send the reflectors. Marv said it will probably be done this week.

Hello Gene, sorry to hear about your wife. I almost bought that rig from Marv myself. Have you been to Spectors recently (the past month or so). He has another LV there that is pretty sweet. Good to have you back.

Hello Gene, sorry to hear about your wife. I almost bought that rig from Marv myself. Have you been to Spectors recently (the past month or so). He has another LV there that is pretty sweet. Good to have you back.

Thanks. I dropped off 50 FJ40 windshields about a month ago but didn't see another LV. Last one I saw there was the blue/white one he restored for Toyota. I'll have to ask him about it. Did you get a look at the Nissan Patrol that he's restoring? That's a thing of beauty. What year was it that you almost bought my LV? I looked at it for a long time before I bought it. I swear it was in the same space for 10+ years.

I was condsidering real hard just a few months before you got it. I just couldn't pony up the cash. Glad to see it got in good hands. I was there about 3 weeks ago and he as another lv there. I did not see the nisson. To much in a hurry.

Thanks Dan. I'm sure there's more than this, but this is off the top of my head.
Since it's my daily driver, I'm sure more will come up.

Customize rear end
Install FJ25 fenders and aprons
repair roof
Finish painting exterior
Install all original switches at proper locations in dash
Paint interior
Cargo glass protectors (like in FJ35 pic)
3 dome lights
head liner
Cut all new glass and install
FJ60 rubber in glass window rails
4 speed
Cargo roll bar
Shoulder seat belts
Sliders
Trans/transfer skid plate
New Floors (one day)

Oh yeah, I picked it up from Marv's yesterday and drove it for the first time in 2 years. Worked on it for about 9 hours today.

I'm building sliders for my 45LV and could make an extra set.

I bought the steel tube already but I could use some pics for design. Most here are a lot more experienced in the design/fabrication dept so I'm up for any suggestions. I fabbed a rear bumper for the LV a short time ago from a pic I snapped when Georg brought "Orange" to the 45Run in 2004. I took one look at it and knew I wasn't gonna come up with a better design on my own. My wagon got slammed before I owned it and the impact tore the rear bumper off the vehicle. I feel sorry for the person who drives into me now.
LV rear 1.jpg
LV rear damage right.jpg

Last edited:
Starting to work on the tailgate.
IMG_0321-1.JPG
IMG_0325.JPG

Last edited:
LCJ,

Outstanding bumper--understated and beefy!
May I ask, what size and gauge tubing you used?
Did you add some type of end caps?

Also noted your black CA license plate.
Is that something special you cooked up, as I cannot recall personalized CA plates back then.

Thx
Bear

Bumper is 2" X 4" X 63 1/2" 1/4" wall. I made and welded on 1/4" end caps.
Support tubing is 2" X 3" 1/8" wall and mounting plate is 3/8".

Again, this bumper was Georg & Co's design. If I remember correctly, he and the boys all got together on a weekend and fabbed and installed a ton of stuff for "Orange". All design credit goes to them.

Vintage 1960's California license plate . . . Yeah, you're right, they didn't make 'em in the 60's.
LV Bumper End Cap.jpg

Last edited:
Gene, is that bumper painted or powder coated. Do you remember the paint/powder color code or name? I like is alot.

Yes I remember when you bought the LV from Marv on the pirate board. :) I look forward to reading this thread. Hope your wife gets betters.:)

Gene, is that bumper painted or powder coated. Do you remember the paint/powder color code or name? I like is alot.

It's painted with Plastikote Glossy Black and I think the other is Medium Charcoal Gray, but I'll have to check on that.

And thanks again everyone for your well wishes for my wife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom