1981 FJ45 Troopy for sale (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
High and dry in the desert, dancing between hemisp
Hello All,

I stumbled upon a 1981 FJ45 troopy for sale here in Adelaide, so I bought it. They are starting to get rare around here, so I had to jump on it. It has factory rear heater (rare) and factory rear seats. It has done 242,000 kms (about 150,000 miles) and is in pretty good condition. It remains fairly unmolested, has split rims, drum brakes, split transfer case/transmission cradle and the original 2F which Toyota updated for the 1981 model year. The rig is also fitted with a Long Ranger second tank, which is a great option.

The rig runs very well, has a new carb, new radiator, new alternator and new battery. The steering is very tight, the clutch does not slip and it starts right away. Everything electrical seems to work and the rig appears to have been well-maintained. I bought it from the second owner who bought it from Pembroke College ('College' means 'High School' here, so the rig would not have been driven by students but rather teachers). Pembroke bought it new and used it to take students on outings until about 8 years ago. It spent its life at pembroke in a garage when not in use. Thus it has original paint on most of the rig... as can be told by the lovely brown and orange stripes.

The rig has some minor rust and I have photos of all of it. It will be very easily removed as it is mostly in the seams between the wheel wells and sides. There are also two small spots just starting on the windshield frame and two dime-sized ones on the bottom of each rear door (the front doors are perfect). The last owner slapped a bit of bondo over the rust, but that is all he did. The driver's floor also has a small patch which was welded in and it looks to have been done very well. There is no rust on the cowling or sides around the foot vents.

The last owner glued carpet to the floor, but he told me that there was no rust under it. I cannot tell whether there is or not, but it looks very clean on the back side. The head liner is in good shape and the upholstery is in great shape for its age.

The trunions will need to be rebuilt and the rear pinon seal leaks. There are a few small oil leaks on the engine, but they are minor (side valve lifter cover and slight leak from the oil pan). I think it will run strong for a good, long time. I will put antifreeze in prior to shipping but the coolant int here now looks very good.

I will be leaving for the US tomorrow, but have loads of photos I can forward. I plan to send the rig to the US when I get back here, but I will sell it to anyone from here if they wish. I need to get us$5,500 for it and then I will help with shipping logistics (not the cost, that will be your responsibility) on this end. Cost of shipping and taxes will be your responsibility and not mine and is not included in the $5,500 cost, but I have done many from this end and will make it very easy for you. OR - come on down to Oz for a holiday and drive this rig when you get here, then ship it home.:steer: The last rig I helped to ship to the US cost about us$3,000 total to LA. That will be in addition to the $5,500 you will pay for the rig, making your total cost about $8,500.

Please email me with any questions at joshboltrek at Yahoo.com.au. I will get back to you as soon as I'm in the US. You can also ring me at 631-907-8843 with any questions.

Cheers,

Josh

Last edited:
Of course you can. Kate is the coolest chick I know. Tell her how cool this rig will be with a 1hdt and it's a done deal. Surely it's worth going hungry for a few measly months to get a rig like this:D

I've had a lot of interest on it so I hope it sells soon. I'm in new York right now so I won't be able to ship it until I get home. Any chance you'll be in NY any time soon, Danny?

Josh

HJ47 said:
Of course you can. Kate is the coolest chick I know. Tell her how cool this rig will be with a 1hdt and it's a done deal. Surely it's worth going hungry for a few measly months to get a rig like this:D

The question is how many months, and just how hungry.... ;)

I've had a lot of interest on it so I hope it sells soon. I'm in new York right now so I won't be able to ship it until I get home.

As you should. That's a great looking truck!

Any chance you'll be in NY any time soon, Danny?

While the Aspens are golden? I'll have to be dragged kicking and screaming away from CO/NM this time if year...

I'll be in IND and STL over the next few weeks on and off... That's closer to NY!

Dan

Troopies are great family travel rigs. Mine has a camper conversion, so it's a little different, but the kids love traveling in it. We lived in it on the road for 2 weeks last year and have taken some long weekend trips this year. I haven't seen many for sale lately, but this is a good price and Josh is a stand-up guy.

Hello All,

I have just returned to Australia from the US. The sale I had when I left has fallen through, so she is back on the market. :meh:

Cheers,

Josh

Josh,
would keep her * :)
Cheers
Peter

* price is fair, don`t know why she isn`t sold.:meh:

Hi Peter,

I like the new name:D I would keep her but I think that having two troopies would leave me divorced...

I'm listing her on Ebay now, so I hope she'll sell quickly. if not then I'll ship her to the US and sell her once she's registered in New Mexico.

Cheers,

Josh

I've had a lot of queries on Ebay about this rig but not much in the way of bidding activity; not being on US soil seems to be scaring folks.

I suspect I'll be sending her on her way to the US shortly so keep any eye out here for her sporting her New Mexico tag and looking proudly American:D

Josh

shipping to US prices these days ?

what are the current shipping prices for a vehicle from Australia to west coast ?
There are some great deals on cruisers down there, but with the price of oil , shipping keeps climbing....:doh:

what are the current shipping prices for a vehicle from Australia to west coast ?
There are some great deals on cruisers down there, but with the price of oil , shipping keeps climbing....:doh:

From here in Adelaide to LA is about us$3200 right now. I'm not sure how much to Hi. I'm organising the shipping now for this one.

Josh

i might know a buyer, will talk to him this week.
but
shipping will be to Vancouver
and
i need a lot more pics and a full disclosure of any hidden flaws

the kid can't afford to put big money into repairs any time soon.

Hi Wayne,

I just listed her on Ebay Australia but when that listing is done if she does not sell I will ship her to LA because I know how to get these rigs in to the US easily. It will be easy to get her from LA to Vancouver. I've not shipped to Canada and am not going to do it unless there is a done deal on that end. However, if he wants to see it in LA and likes it then it would not cost too much to ship her up from LA.

What I would recommend for your friend is for him to ring me and I'll talk him through the rig. I have about 50 photos of it I can email to him and I'm happy to take photos of any area he wants.

The best bet for your customer may be for him to wait until it is in NM and then come down to have a look. If he likes it, he can drive her home. If not, he can enjoy the great food, fantastic scenery and great people of New Mexico and then head home relaxed and happy.

I'm sure he will like it, so long as he realises that it is a 30 year old rig and not brand new. For a 30 year old rig it is in fantastic shape. For a brand new rig it is beat to hell and rusty.:D

Cheers,

Josh

:lol:
yah, an old rig is an old rig. i realize that. I chatted with the kid and a gasser is just too hard on fuel for his budget so he will be passing on it.
me, i would love one of these old troopies but sadly i have too many toys already and a divorce is not something i want to entertain.

best of luck in the sale, if i hear of a possible buyer i will send him or her your way.

cheers

SOLD

Sold, gentlemen (and Ige). :D Thanks for your interest. as always, I'll keep my eyes peeled for more.

Josh

That sucks! I was watching the auction for a co-worker. Oh well, glad you sold it at least. Is it a local in Oz, or will it be coming to the states?

Best,
Abe

Sadly she was sold to a surfer here in Australia; may she Rust In Piece. Because they are getting harder to find around here, they are starting to fetch more interest and money here in Australia than back home.:frown:

Oh well. How is your rig coming along Abe?

Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom