oh no! metal in oil pan! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 3B had this material in the oil pan.

None of this stuff will stick to a magnet, so its probably not a ring. Bearings, I think are steel (magnetic) with a copper/lead coating; these pieces are too thick to just be the bearing coating. Maybe a piston skirt?

What do you think?

(No, the soda can tab wasn't in the pan, just shown for scale.)
IMG_3956-800.jpg
IMG_3954-800.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I have to say this but it certainly looks ugly. Like chips of bearingmaterial or pistons (not likely) Would at least investingate condition of BEB's!! Don't start it until you know what it's all about and repaired it.

Looks like bearing material to me. They can use a number of different compositions

I can't imagine how these pieces would have snuck out; there isn't even close to enough clearance between the crank and connecting rods. Could be a main bearing, I guess, but some of the pieces have what looks to be a "ridge" or a "lip". Somehow it looks familiar but I can't put my finger on it... As far as I know bearing material is just flat.
IMG_3991-800.jpg
IMG_3976-800.jpg

Last edited:
Was thinking about it: main bearing thrust washer?

that looks like a lip in two of the pieces..not a good sign but it could be from a previous owner...

Though I'm not familiar with this exact motor, it looks like bits of a rear main bearing. They commonly have a lip to take end thrust as you have mentioned. The other part looks worn from a rotating object (crank). I think its pulldown time, sorry.....

Though I'm not familiar with this exact motor, it looks like bits of a rear main bearing. They commonly have a lip to take end thrust as you have mentioned. The other part looks worn from a rotating object (crank). I think its pulldown time, sorry.....

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all of the 3B's bearings are plain and flat, none are flanged or have thrust surfaces. There are separate thrust washers on the 3rd bearing.

In truth the thrust washer doesn't look much like my chunks, but at the very least I can imagine how the thrust washer would make its way into the pan. The bearings just don't have enough clearance to release chunks this big, as far as I can guess...

that does not look like bearing material, you are right the mains are all flat with the thrust being additional.
at first i thought of the oil rings since they are thin but they do not have a lip on them either.
those are not piston pieces either...
to check thrust bearing pull and push on the crank front and back (probably a screww driver between the harmonic and the timing cover (pry carefully)

that one piece looks familure but i can not put my finger on it...sorry

camshaft, i would say no...
valve train i am thinking about it but i can not picture any alum bits in the valve train... rockers, push rods, valves, springs, keepers... nope, no aluminum there...

the timing is steel gear to gear...

the only internal aluminum parts i can think of is the bearings con main and cam..

Has your oil presure lowered at all? Those pieces are way to big to come from a bearing , con rod or main.

Has your oil presure lowered at all? Those pieces are way to big to come from a bearing , con rod or main.

Oil pressure is good. I tested it not long ago with a mechanical gauge, was nice and high, I think 75psi at 3000 or so. I posted the results on here, I'll see if I can find it...

Thats a good point though, a piece that big missing from a bearing would probably lower oil pressure.

EDIT: found it. hot: 20psi at idle, 65 at 4000. https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/224334-high-ish-oil-pressure.html

looking at it Id say its the rest of the can that the pop top came off of ;)

I dont knoe WTF it is but I hope when I drain mine the next time I dont see that in the pan :eek:

take your oil filter out and cut the cover and remove the paper element and inspect for other fine looking metals stuck in between the paper elements.

take your oil filter out and cut the cover and remove the paper element and inspect for other fine looking metals stuck in between the paper elements.

The internet commands, and I obey!

Good idea. The filter is totally clean.

There was one piece of metal, but it was extremely thin and not at all like what was in my pan. You can see it in the lower left picture, its about as big as a fingernail clipping and as thin as foil. I think its unrelated to the other pieces: this sliver was magnetic.
oilfilter.jpg

use your non-LED flash light and shine the light in between the slots to see if any other type of metal. cutting filter is standard in aviation piston engine oil changes and inspections .

sliver

That sliver could be left over from manufacturing the filter itself??I'd say if you have good oil pressure , engine runs well and no odd sounds etc - - - Drive and enjoy yopur cruiser??

enjoy cruiser !!! sure

metals do not grow inside the oil pan.that engine is made of cast iron for the most part and only few parts of made of soft matrial. those are; timing cover, injector pump housing, the oil cooler housing, pistons and rod/main bearings.

if not rod and main then check front timing cover near the harmonic balancer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom