High(ish) oil pressure? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My oil pressure has looked a little high lately so I bought a mechanical gauge. In truth I don't know if its looking high "lately" or not, because my sender connections are bad so every time I touch the wire the indicator in the dash will read differently.

Anyway, I'm reading 40psi at idle and 75psi near the rev limiter (4100?). Pressure rises steadily about halfway through the RPM range (~2000?) until it hits 75 and then stays there all the way to the max rpms. [No tachometer...] At idle the needle wiggles about 5psi with each chug.

Given the 4psi idle spec, I was expecting much lower pressure. Coupled with my dash reading up near the 3/4-of-the-way-to-H mark, this seems high to me. What do you think? Spec for the engine is >4psi at idle and 36-85psi at 3000.

Edit: Damnit, I fxxx everything up!! Ok, these numbers are COLD. HOT numbers are 20 (idle), 65 @ rev limiter. Hm, I guess thats about what I expected, nothing to see here, nevermind.

Last edited:
All your numbers sound good to me.

Your hot No.s sound normal to me.Not sure about cold.Revving to the limiter on a cold engine?!!....not a good idea.

worry when you have no oil pressure, these engines must have a crazy oil pump for all those piston skirt coolers....

I second the not reving a cold engine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom