How the stock bumpers should have been made! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been waiting to trim up my bumpers for a while and today I had a chance to do just that. The only tool for this project I needed was an angle grinder.

I searched MUD about trimming the front bumpers and found a couple threads. Gave me some ideas of what I needed to do. I masked the bumper with painting tape the way I wanted it. Being the first time with an angle grinder, I went at it full speed. I did not detach the bumper from the cruiser for the trimming. Didn't turn out too bad.

I switched blades on the angle grinder to to start the sanding. I sanded as much as I could. I took it off the truck, wiped it down, and slapped a couple coats of rustoleom bed liner.

With the rear bumper, I was tired of finding chunks of mud up in the bumper after going through a few mud puddles so I trimmed those up too. After I trimmed, I sanded it down by hand and put 3 coats of bed liner.

I will have finished pictures of the truck tomorrow!
2012-05-18 15.16.24.jpg
2012-05-18 15.32.08.jpg
2012-05-18 17.13.30.jpg

Nice job man. I need to do something similar for mine since the bottom is all beat in.

looks great, nice Red Wing boots BTW! They sure do make a great boot.
Nah, Carolina Boots FTW!:p

must be too early and not enough coffee yet but I am not seeing what was trimmed on the front. :(

I have been pondering doing this to my '96. How much protection is still given for the A/C drier? Any chance you can snap a side pic?

Thanks! And a very good job to boot!

Pictures like I promised!

The AC dryer is out in the open, but I heard of some people relocation it? Is that correct? I will get a side view for you in a sec.
2012-05-19 15.13.05.jpg
2012-05-19 15.13.17.jpg

I have been pondering doing this to my '96. How much protection is still given for the A/C drier? Any chance you can snap a side pic?

Thanks! And a very good job to boot!

Here is the side shot for you.

The second picture is of the rear bumper bed-lined.

You can see the AC dryer in the third picture. I wanna try to relocate it somewhere. Any ideas?
2012-05-19 15.40.57.jpg
2012-05-19 15.13.50.jpg
2012-05-19 15.46.37.jpg

Thanks for the pics! I'ma look at mine today...gonna see about fabbing up some sort of slid plate for it or maybe repositioning it...

I hear about the conversion that moves it up next to the battery tray...but being able to relocate it up a big higher might work...

Keep you posted, and thanks again!

Thanks for the pics! I'ma look at mine today...gonna see about fabbing up some sort of slid plate for it or maybe repositioning it...

I hear about the conversion that moves it up next to the battery tray...but being able to relocate it up a big higher might work...

Keep you posted, and thanks again!

No problem! Sounds good! I haven't really looked at it up closely but I wonder if you have turn it sideways??

Nice looking rig. Did a nice cutup of the original bumper. I think ill do that on my chinook/lexus and drop my winch in there also.

Thanks everyone for the compliments! SWCruiser, a winch would fit in there perfectly. Just remember to leave enough room for the fairlead!

No problem! Sounds good! I haven't really looked at it up closely but I wonder if you have turn it sideways??

I tried calling a friend of mine who is an A/C tech to ask if they can be turned sideways. I *believe* that they have to be mounted vertically, but he will be able to verify.

Jdm ac drier relocation kit, I think you can hit up MOT for it. It moves it to infront or next to the battery. Also that chain ridiculus man! Your 80 looks like a coke dealer with a blue track suit and some aviators:flipoff2:. No but seriously nice 80 dude:cheers:

Seems like that chain would flop all over the place not to mention very likely catch a stump.

Looks like an 80 with a nose ring.

Bumper looks awesome!!!!

Jdm ac drier relocation kit, I think you can hit up MOT for it. It moves it to infront or next to the battery. Also that chain ridiculus man! Your 80 looks like a coke dealer with a blue track suit and some aviators:flipoff2:. No but seriously nice 80 dude:cheers:

Nice looking rig, are you going to protect the AC dryer in the future?

Yeah maybe later on down the road, I'll see what my local fab shop can do for me.

Seems like that chain would flop all over the place not to mention very likely catch a stump.

Looks like an 80 with a nose ring.

Bumper looks awesome!!!!

Ha, thanks! The chain is mainly for the looks. I'll definitely take it off when I go off roading

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I do what I can do it to make it a head turner for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom