Winch inside stock bumper fzj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There's a few threads on mounting a winch inside the stock bumper of the 80 and I thought I'd add my two bits.

Years ago, before I bought my cruiser I looked inside the bumper and found a HUGE space to mount a winch. I was excited, and saved up many pennies.

Finally I got a 97 LX450 with 56k miles, but it had a bunch of dents, and smelled like wet dog. Oh well.

I had a Warn M8000 from my 84 toy pickup, so I decided to mount it up. I would have preferred a 10 or 12k winch, but already had this one with a 3/8" synthetic line, so on it goes.

A smittybilt winch mounting plate for a jeep was purchased at a local shop for about $70 then drilled to fit the 80. I would have gotten the harborfreight one, but they wouldn't ship, and I'm up in the Great White North (tm) so smittybilt was the one for me.

The tricky part was lining up the fairlead. I wanted it to sit flush to the bumper, and wanted the winch as far back as possible for center of gravity and minimizing any damage due to accidents. So I made a couple of extensions to move the fairlead away from the winch plate.

I used 2/0 gauge wire and Military type battery terminals to complete the installation.

The solenoid box is mounted on the left framerail until my second battery is installed, at which point it will be mounted between the 2nd battery and the air cleaner so that it stays drier, and is in a more protected spot. I won't be using the wired remote, it's all in-cab until the box is relocated.

Thanks to Slee for the idea to use an antenna switch for in-cab controls, and to 'mud for the pictures of a jdm winch mounted inside the bumper. And Van for sending me a couple switches. They're en-route and not installed yet, but I'm too excited to not share the pics right now.

- Brian
IMG_0629.jpg
IMG_0630.jpg
IMG_0632.jpg

Last edited:
That's a nice clean install. Almost sneaky even... Great job!

Nice work!! Almost looks factory. You should look into ordering one of the JDM factory winch covers and you would never know it was not factory!
IMG_0021.jpg

Sweet! I like the 3/8" extension for the clutch switch.

Very clean install!

Brian,

Looks factory! I like that! Now with the switches on the way to complete the in cab controls it will be even better. Good work!

Looks great with the hawse fairlead and syn rope. Nice trimming on the stock bumper!

Are you able to access the solenoid box to plug-in the remote? Or will you go to hard-wired controls only?

I just completed my M8000 install last week, and I welded a custom bracket to the bumper mounting tabs to position the solenoid connector inside the vent window. So far so good - just wanted to add it for ideas:
IMG00174-20101230-1127 (Medium).jpg

Sweet! I like the 3/8" extension for the clutch switch.

Yes that's to help keep honest people honest. It's harder to flip the clutch to freespool, then pull the $200 winch rope out to cut it and walk off with it.

Are you able to access the solenoid box to plug-in the remote? Or will you go to hard-wired controls only?

I could easily relocate the connector on the solenoid box like you have, but will not, to keep my buddys from stringing out my winch rope and pulling my truck into the nearest lamp post :flipoff2:

When the solenoid box is relocated (after the 2nd battery is installed) I can plug my remote in if I pop the hood.

Currently, no key in ignition, no winch operation.

Thanks everyone for the props!

- Brian

Looks good. i'm off to Harbor feight for their winch plate. Looks to be on sale for $23.99

Originally Posted by 96r50
"Sweet! I like the 3/8" extension for the clutch switch."

"Yes that's to help keep honest people honest. It's harder to flip the clutch to freespool, then pull the $200 winch rope out to cut it and walk off with it."

Brian,

How did you affix the 3/8th extension to the clutch switch? Did you weld it? I'm always paranoid someone is going to walk away with my synthetic line when I have to park in less-than-desirable
places around town.

Thanks,
Justin

Last edited:
OT but, chances are "less-than-desirable" parts of town could give a s@#t about the piece of what they view as rope. Its the places where people are in the know where you should be worried.

Brian,

How did you affix the 3/8th extension to the clutch switch? Did you weld it? I'm always paranoid someone is going to walk away with my synthetic line when I have to park in less-than-desirable
places around town.

Thanks,
Justin

The extension is welded on. The trick is to get it straight so it doesn't wobble when you turn it.

If I do it again, I wouldn't use 3/8 extension, instead, I'd use a spare piece of jack handle :idea: That way it fits both the 3/8 extension and the jack handle :D

Update:
My in-cab controls are all working. VanGo's switches arrived and the antenna switch + defog switch are used for power and controls. I used 2 spdt (bosch headlight) relays to prevent simultaneous switch operation.

Cheers!

The extension is welded on. The trick is to get it straight so it doesn't wobble when you turn it.

If I do it again, I wouldn't use 3/8 extension, instead, I'd use a spare piece of jack handle :idea: That way it fits both the 3/8 extension and the jack handle :D

Update:
My in-cab controls are all working. VanGo's switches arrived and the antenna switch + defog switch are used for power and controls. I used 2 spdt (bosch headlight) relays to prevent simultaneous switch operation.

Cheers!

Pix of switches?

Great job, very clean install.
Now I want to know how come I never got a "Lexus" battery went I went to my Lexus dealer for a battery:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom