power steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have had a pretty big leak for about a month now the pump would whine i would fill it it would be fine.. now it is whining all the time, filled or not filled... just wandering if any of u have changed your power steering pump and what is a good one to buy? i dont think i could get it rebuilt cause i think it is more than just the seals that are broken now...:mad:

Had mine done earlier this year. I got from CDAN and wasn't expensive. Followed Romer's instructions to a "T'

I just replaced mine the other day. Not a hard job to do at all.
I actually got another pump off a fellow mud member in the classifieds who was parting out an 80 for $50.
Followed CDan's thread ... here:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/40209-1fz-power-steering-pump-replacement.html

Remove the battery and tray, remove PS Reservoir, remove oil filter and remove 2 bolts and a banjo fitting.
Add the new seal:
Part number 301-73004

I read you also need part number 327-30030 which I ordered, but for the life of me couldnt figure out where it went. No diagram in the FSM that I could find.

Good luck

What year LC do you have bra? I thought you had a 91 but maybe not. If its the 3FE, you can rebuild them really easily and cheaply. Don't know about the 1FZE

i have had a pretty big leak for about a month now the pump would whine i would fill it it would be fine.. now it is whining all the time, filled or not filled... just wandering if any of u have changed your power steering pump and what is a good one to buy? i dont think i could get it rebuilt cause i think it is more than just the seals that are broken now...:mad:

Out of curiosity, you are re-filling with ATF right? My pump and hoses were all leaking a bit, but it seems the fluid was really worn out/burnt, and I'm not even sure it was ATF from the PO. After changing it out, it seems the leaks have slowed down quite a bit.

Just wondering what is the deal with filling it with ATF and not normal PS fluid?
The FSM says ATF but im wondering if that is what was recommended 15+ years ago when before advances in technology??

Dunno :meh:

Yeah but why?

Not sure what kind of an answer you're looking for.

Power steering fluid was around when our rigs were manufactured; our pumps are just designed to work with ATF. (Actually, IIRC, PS fluid and ATF are pretty darn similar.)

If what you mean is you're looking for some sort of "upgrade", go with synthetic ATF.

Curtis

So would it hurt to run regular PS fluid do you think?

Just curious.

To the OP sorry to hijack your thread like this

i was using atf fluid for a while... and switched to power steering fluid.. and it only whines when i push the gas
kinda a:flipoff2: when it comes to power steering..
and its a 94 i think it is past the point of a rebuild cause it is whining so much

Just wondering what is the deal with filling it with ATF and not normal PS fluid?
The FSM says ATF but im wondering if that is what was recommended 15+ years ago when before advances in technology??

Dunno :meh:

ATF is the recommended refill fluid, but they came from the factory with hydraulic or power steering fluid type fluid. Hydraulic and power steering fluid fluids are very similar, ATF has many more additives, dye, friction modifiers to deal with the clutches, etc. In a pure hydraulic system like power steering, hydraulic fluid is a cleaner, higher preforming fluid. Mine runs Mobil DTE Light.

put some downey fabric softener in there. usually helps quiet whining down a bit.

You'd be surprised how much stuff isn't in there. The pump is really just a bearing, the impeller, and a bunch of seals. As long as the main spindle doohickey isn't cooked, you really probably could just rebuild it. The only thing that causes the whining is the fluid sneaking past the seals, or air in the lines caused either by a leak or cavitation of the fluid inside the pump. If you can handle the down-time, pull the pump and tear it apart. Really, really easy to rebuild and not expensive.

You'd be surprised how much stuff isn't in there. The pump is really just a bearing, the impeller, and a bunch of seals. As long as the main spindle doohickey isn't cooked, you really probably could just rebuild it. The only thing that causes the whining is the fluid sneaking past the seals, or air in the lines caused either by a leak or cavitation of the fluid inside the pump. If you can handle the down-time, pull the pump and tear it apart. Really, really easy to rebuild and not expensive.

here is a picture from Tools. However, I had Robbie rebuild one for me as I heard a few people had problems.

attachment.php

thanks guys for all the input i think im gonna try to rebuild it might as well try to save myself 100 bucks

thanks guys for all the input i think im gonna try to rebuild it might as well try to save myself 100 bucks

They are pretty easy to reseal. The seal kit isn't rocket science, have had great results with Gates seal kits on mini, etc, pumps, never used one on an '80 pump. IIRC they are ~$15, so may shop to see if Gates kits are available for the '80?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom