Homebrew panhards (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MaddBaggins

Remember the KnightRider!
Threads
Here's my homebrew panhards after breaking some aftermarket stuff.

Tube is 1-1/2 x .250 wall DOM, bushing end is stock and a heim on the other end. Took some thinking to get the right angles on the front rod, but the stock bends aren't all necessary in a lifted rig. I used a 30* bend in the vertical plain and a 5* bend in the horizontal plain.
The rig rides much smoother after some neighborhood cruising. I'm doing some mild offroad tomorrow.

rear rod
DSC03695.jpg
DSC03697.jpg

Alvin,
Looks great. Can't wait to hear how it does.:beer:

Nice job! How much lift is required for longer panhards on these things?

Can't believe the other one broke like that!

Nice job! How much lift is required for longer panhards on these things?

Can't believe the other one broke like that!

A good starting point is 1/4" longer for 4" lift. I don't have my stock ones anymore, but IIRC, mine are 1/4" longer.

Nice work Alvin!

I just ran about 130 miles today. Some freeway, some 30-40mph washboard dirt and some easy wheeling. On the freeway it feels much more solid and reacts to bumps smoother than it used to. Washboard is, well, washboard, but it all held up fine to the dirt and dust. The wheeling is fine, no binding, plenty of clearance on everything.

:cool:

very nice quality fab work. i would have thought the heims would give you unwanted play on the highway. nice to hear the contrary.

:cool:

very nice quality fab work. i would have thought the heims would give you unwanted play on the highway. nice to hear the contrary.

I know, I was worried about the same thing, but it really feel likes a new rig, more solid. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Heims have zero play. They are a metal race bearing with a teflon lining. Rubber has play (deflection), because it is designed to.

You do not want any side to side movement in a panhard - personally I would have put heims on both ends when fabbing from scratch.

I had a dual heim panhard in a unibody Jeep application and it did not add any noise or vibration. IMO, complete non-issue in a body on frame rig so might as well get all of the rubber out of the system.

Nice fab work :cool:

Because I can. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom