Builds 93 80 Beater. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey yous guys!

I've been a long time lurker and may have even posted a time or two.

The scenario:

I have an 00' taco that I wheel and put away for the winter to keep it out of the salt. The last 2 winters I rocked a 90 ex cab mini 4x4 that died a slow death this spring. While debating between buying another beater to DD or a toy to wheel I happened on a beater worthy FZJ80 for the "right" price.

The Taco

DSC00638.jpg

DSC00720.jpg

The new winter beater.

DSC00726.jpg

DSC00727.jpg

DSC00728.jpg

DSC00729.jpg

DSC00730.jpg

DSC00731.jpg

DSC00732.jpg

DSC00733.jpg

DSC00734.jpg

DSC00737.jpg

DSC00738.jpg

DSC00735.jpg

93 FZJ80 LC. New shocks, brakes, birfs, top end of motor redone last year, 231xxxkm, 4.5 inline 6, seats 7 adults or 19 midgets, full float rear axle, discs all round............rust..........old leather... no elockers but its got an aussie in the rear and the center diff lock.

All in all its surprisingly sturdy and rattle free on the road. It drives straight although I do get vibes around 80km/h. Going to get the tires balanced sometime soon.

Plans so far are to get rid of as much of the rust as I can, find a windshield, and give it a paint job of some sort. I need a new diff breather fitting for the rear axle as the one on there is sheared off, gonna search for that pt#. I also need to search to see if I can get my 15" taco steelies w winter tires on there somehow. Maybe grinding the caliper will work........... Lots of fun. I have some steel so I might fab up a front bumper eventually seeing as though it doesnt have one.

Funny thing is I remember seeing this thing when I was in high school. The original owner was a doctor and lived down the street from the school.

The dude I got it from just upgraded to a 90 JDM 80 with the turbo diesel and the whannot. Sweet rig man.

I really do have to spend more time on here thats for sure.

Thanks for reading.

D

Last edited:
Holy RTV Batman....

Some beater LOL! congrats.

we loaded up the bus last night before our super extreme hack session. the rearmost seat is being shared by pete #1 who is 6'4" and pete #2 who is........ shorter.

DSC00740.jpg

DSC00739.jpg

DSC00741.jpg

DSC00742.jpg

busses are cool. not as cool as tacos but close.

D

oh, and sorry for the lack of tech. froont bumper build coming soon....

D

Nice beater. Heh heh...

Sturdy and rattle free is a common trait of these LC beasts.

Made a fake bumper today to get an idea of what it will look like..........with one. This is just the first draft but i like it.

DSC00743.jpg

DSC00744.jpg

DSC00745.jpg

DSC00746.jpg

DSC00747.jpg

DSC00749.jpg

Like a retard i didnt get a shot of it on the van.

D

That looks good, I like it.

Some pics of it on the van.

DSC00750.jpg

DSC00751.jpg

DSC00752.jpg

DSC00753.jpg

DSC00754.jpg

DSC00755.jpg

Thats my garage in the pics. Its set up with couches/tv/stereo/intrabox and makes for a cool place to chill out. Especially when you have messy bastard friends who spill beer and such. They dont even step foot in the house.

When i want to pull my truck in (not the van cause its too ginormous) i just move stuff around a bit and it reverts back to being a garage. The only bad thing is i spend way too much time in here........oh and theres no bathroom, that too.

Theres a sweet loft upstairs that provides lots of storage room and partially makes up for the "lack" of head room downstairs.

DSC00302.jpg

DSC00282.jpg

DSC00283.jpg

DSC00284.jpg

wintertires476.jpg

wintertires141.jpg

wintertires082.jpg

wintertires081.jpg

wintertires085.jpg

wintertires079.jpg

DSC00368.jpg

D

Last edited:
Sweet pad!

Oh BTW I don't think your "van" as you call it is even close to being a beater!!!:D

thanks lol.

youre right, its not really a beater, i guess any winter dd ive had has been called that. If i can manage to fix the rust around the windshield and back window along with the other various spots and make it look half decent i may have to give it another nick name.

On a completely different note, does anyone know wheat size bolts (size, thread and pitch) fit into the top of the frame horns at the front of the 80? There are 2 holes at the top of each horn that have nuts welded inside the frame that id like to use for the bumper. Using the 3 holes on the outside of the frame, the 2 tow hook mount bolts on the bottom and said top bolts would make 12 - 14 mount points and would be plenty strong.

I made an appt. for the exhaust today and got the front tires balanced. It rides a little better now but new(er) tires are gonna be needed. If only I could get my 15's on there I'd be set for winter. Dude that had it said he got 15" rims to fit on the front but the back wont go. I tried the other day and the rim slides over the studs but then stops short of the WMS because it hits the caliper.

Anyways, havin lots of fun. Might start to cut up the steel for that bumper today. Kind of wishing my plasma would find its way home to make things easier.

D

thanks lol.

youre right, its not really a beater, i guess any winter dd ive had has been called that. If i can manage to fix the rust around the windshield and back window along with the other various spots and make it look half decent i may have to give it another nick name.

On a completely different note, does anyone know wheat size bolts (size, thread and pitch) fit into the top of the frame horns at the front of the 80? There are 2 holes at the top of each horn that have nuts welded inside the frame that id like to use for the bumper. Using the 3 holes on the outside of the frame, the 2 tow hook mount bolts on the bottom and said top bolts would make 12 - 14 mount points and would be plenty strong.

I made an appt. for the exhaust today and got the front tires balanced. It rides a little better now but new(er) tires are gonna be needed. If only I could get my 15's on there I'd be set for winter. Dude that had it said he got 15" rims to fit on the front but the back wont go. I tried the other day and the rim slides over the studs but then stops short of the WMS because it hits the caliper.

Anyways, havin lots of fun. Might start to cut up the steel for that bumper today. Kind of wishing my plasma would find its way home to make things easier.

D

They are 14mm and any 14mm bolt should fit!

What tire size are you going with?

I have some 1 1/2" wheel spacers that will fix that problem...I'll take $150 for them.:meh:

nice garage. another ontario banshee rider? lol

i used 12 of the 14 holes on my front bumper, the size is 10x1.25. like your bumper design, nice low profile/good approach. fibreglass over the cardboard and run it!

btw, the cruiser should be your dedicated wheeler, i could go into depth i think you'll find out in good time.

cheers

More bumper.

DSC00763.jpg

DSC00764.jpg

DSC00765.jpg

DSC00766.jpg

DSC00767.jpg

DSC00768.jpg

DSC00769.jpg

DSC00770.jpg

DSC00771.jpg

DSC00772.jpg

DSC00773.jpg

DSC00774.jpg

DSC00775.jpg

DSC00777.jpg

DSC00778.jpg

DSC00779.jpg

DSC00782.jpg

Its turning out ok, end is in sight. 4 more little pieces to cut and weld then more grinding.....

D

Looks pretty cool. I'd put a brace from the wing to the main body on the bumper though. Extra support, ya know?

Kinda like this:
n539070227_4271001_5432.jpg

meh, the brace would interfere with those low shopping carts and id het hung up.

dont worry, shes boxed now and a gusset or 2 are going in.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom