What the deuce is this thing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Over at Tonkota's place last week, we were trying to figure out what this brass looking thing on the back of the 3FE intake manifold is. There's normally a plastic gray cap that snaps on over the top of it. On his, the screw in the middle was missing completely, and on mine, it had come completely out (but was kept from being lost by the gray cap). I reinstalled the screw (which has a little black O-ring on it) and snugged it down, and it seems to have increased not only my mileage, but I noticed a decent seat-of-the-pants improvement in power. Felt like there was a noticeable increase in low end torque.

My question is, WTF is it?

thing.jpg

I want to say Fuel pressure regulator, but ......Drivers side at end of fuel rail?

Shane

I want to say Fuel pressure regulator, but ......Drivers side at end of fuel rail?

Shane

IIRC the FPR is at the forward end of the fuel rail. I guess it's possible this could have some involvement in it though...

Edit: SOR shows it as a dampener at the "inlet" of the fuel rail. Possibly helping to subdue surges in fuel pressure that the regulator might not be able to keep up with. I could see where that might help with mileage, but with power too? I wasn't even expecting any difference when I reinstalled the screw, but I definitely felt something.

Update: Replacing and snugging down that screw definitely made a large improvement in my gas mileage. On average I would get 10-11 MPG if I took I-90 across Washington (Spokane to Seattle and back). This time, even with the extra 475lbs of a slant six sitting in the back of the truck, I got 14.8 MPG.

Considering I was cruising along at 75-77 MPH and had almost 500 LBs of extra weight, I'd say that's a hell of an improvement.

I'm curious to see what it'll get the next time I go across via HWY 2 (which is where I got my all-time best of 17 MPG, probably due to staying between 60-65 the whole way).

So long story short, if you've got a 62 or an FJ80, check for that screw!

fuel pulsation damper

I think I have one in my basement. I'll have to fix that now.

Be sure to lemme know if you see a difference in mileage on yours too. I guess that little screw kinda was important, huh? :D

where abouts is it? I cant quite pin it down

where abouts is it? I cant quite pin it down

Look at your fuel rail, and it's at the aft end of it. It'll most likely have a gray cap snapped over the top of it. Work the cap off by hand and you'll uncover it. Careful though. If yours is like mine, the screw will very likely have worked its way out and can easily get lost.

ah yes.....that thingy......I think I poped the cap off once for some reason....better take a gander at it

Look at your fuel rail, and it's at the aft end of it. It'll most likely have a gray cap snapped over the top of it. Work the cap off by hand and you'll uncover it. Careful though. If yours is like mine, the screw will very likely have worked its way out and can easily get lost.

Something tells me this thread is a candidate for FAQ. :D

Yep it is your damper and that blasted thing is known to leak:bang:.

It is reguired to remove the airbox if you need to tighten that thing down. BIG BLASTED METRIC WRENCH.

Be sure to lemme know if you see a difference in mileage on yours too. I guess that little screw kinda was important, huh? :D

I'll check the mileage, but I won't be able to tell you if it was that little screw or if it was the camshaft that I just put in. I also won't be able to confirm a power increase (from the little screw anyway).

I was getting 13 no matter what I tried though.

Yep it is your damper and that blasted thing is known to leak:bang:.

It is reguired to remove the airbox if you need to tighten that thing down. BIG BLASTED METRIC WRENCH.

Are we talking about the same part? I can see where it'd be prone to leak, but looking at it, I wouldn't think I'd need to remove my airbox or intake hose at all.

Not that I want to try. The thing looks like a bitch to get to either way...

Are we talking about the same part? I can see where it'd be prone to leak, but looking at it, I wouldn't think I'd need to remove my airbox or intake hose at all.

Not that I want to try. The thing looks like a bitch to get to either way...
There may be a sst tool or something to remove it...i fawked around for over a hour to tighten that thing down with a wrench with no success.

In all honesty you can have the air box off and on within the hour if you are de-smogged.

It started leaking on mine about 6 years ago and is currently leaking. I used the smallest cresent wrench i could buy and managed to get it off without removing the intake. I think i paid around fourty bucks for the damper.

It started leaking on mine about 6 years ago and is currently leaking. I used the smallest cresent wrench i could buy and managed to get it off without removing the intake. I think i paid around fourty bucks for the damper.
:whoops: how. of course i have the biggest hands on the planet so that does not help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom