Starting on the cage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The cage this 40 came with from the PO was just not good enough for me. I need a family cage that ties into the frame. I am going to have Subaru WRX seats in the front with 5 point belts, The rear SEAT will be a mastercraft bench with 4 point belts eventually.

The other day my buddy John came over with some software for the PC called Bend-Tech PRO. So we spent about 2 hours measuring and entering information into this program. When we were finished we could see the end result in a 3D image. This is what we we ended up with, haven't added the gussets in the computer. This will be 2" 120wall DOM.
Picture001.jpg

Today I took the top off and the old cage out. THE CAGE IS FOR SALE
8.jpg

9.jpg

4.jpg

Soon we will start cutting, bending, and notching
-Eric

Your existing cage looks a lot like the discontinued SOR cage that I have in my '71 FJ40. The difference is my front posts are straight, not contoured. It's a good cage, just not state of the art cage technology. I need to add a family cage extension to mine. I'm not going to replace the whole thing.

Nice new design! Just curious how much for the old one?

sent you a pm on old cage might be in yucaipa in next day or two

Just a new guy

I love the enthusiasm, I can't wait to build up my cage to safely allow a 3rd passenger. I just bought my rig, but already have some big aspirations. I will be extending the existing cage to cover the rear seat. 5 point harnesses have been purchased and will be installed shortly. And finally I want to build some protection for my hood, I needs to be tasteful though, I refuse to ride in a rig that looks like it was put together by a crack head. I have got a few ideas from the pics on this forum and can't wait to post my own spin off on what others have done. I am under tooled as I only have a s***ty Harbor Freight style bender, however I have managed to turn out some decent bumpers thus far. One day the ball and chain might let me have a real bender and then I will spend twice as much at the steel yard. Please feel free to reach out and offer any sage advice I know you all have. I am just a simple newb. FWI the FAQ portion of this site is one of the best I have ever seen!

Last edited:
THanks for the cage! post up some pics of your build and motor, very nice!

Cruiserhead_-
I will tell my friend about this Tube Bandit you speak of. Looks like it will make life so much easier.

I will get back to you guys to show some progress.

Cruiserhead_-
I will tell my friend about this Tube Bandit you speak of. Looks like it will make life so much easier.

I will get back to you guys to show some progress.

It`s well worth it and they`re in California.Tell them I sent you.

David

rajafarhan- thanks man!

cruiserhead- my buddy has this husky level/dig. readout. It seems to work alright, we will see about the A-pillar hoop might be challenging.

Saturday there was some progress before I had to split to work. Bought steel, set up some tools, cut, and started to bend. I made the B-pillar hoop and the C-pillars. Will get some more work done this week. :D
-eric

cagebuild002.jpg

cagebuild001.jpg

cagebuild003.jpg

I'm going to redo my cage in 1.75 dom. I did my first with a combination of 1.5 and 2 and I felt the 2 inch was too large.

I use bend tech and a simple tape measure, degree ring and it works great.

looks great! get it running so we can wheeling! you can join the 4x4 crew up here! we got prob 20 40's within a ten mile radius!

I was going to do 1.75 DOM but didn't have the dyes. Used what was available.

Me too, it isn't bad and it is stronger for sure. I just like as much interior room as possible.

After a couple days I was able to get some times to make the front hoop of the cage, Yeah! Was a little intense but not too bad.
cagebuild004.jpg

Had to cut up the wheel wells for the bar to come thru. Cut the filler tube off--no more front tank.
cagebuild022.jpg

taping it up and tacking it in place.
cagebuild024.jpg

cagebuild023.jpg

The front of the cage complete!:beer::beer:
cagebuild027.jpg

:wrench:I will be pressing forward this weekend to get more done.:wrench:

looking sweet man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom