Project LandROC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Day 0a.jpg
Day 0b.jpg
Day 0c.jpg

Here is the situation. I recently purchased my first FJ40 and planned on doing a frame off resto mod in my spare time, which I seem to have lot of lately. Project LandRoc is it’s name and I call it my sanity project because it keeps me sane. I have recently lost my job and needed something to keep me busy. So I decided to take this on myself. I have never attempted or done anything like this ever before!

I found a 74 that was a barn find, completely stock and purchased it from its second owner. It was sitting for about 10 plus years and has little to no rust with about 76,000 original miles.

What is Project LandROC? Its two parts Landcruiser and one part IROC Z28 Camaro (Landcruiser + IROC = LandROC) In addition to the FJ40 I also purchased an 88 Camaro which I plan to transplant the engine, transmission, power steering, disk brakes, master cylinder (maybe), tilt column (maybe), and anything else that might be useful. Never new that one car could be so valuable.

I have been working on this for a few months and I’m a little late in starting a build thread. So here it is and I’ll to bring you guys up to speed asap. I have spent countless hours reading all the great threads on this site. It has been an excellent resource for any upgrades or modification on my new LC. I can’t thank you guys enough

Day 0...

Last edited:
Anybody know how to get more than 200 KB of storage space for attachments? I have a lot more pictures I would like to share.

Thanks...

Last edited:
Anybody know how to get more than 200 KB of storage space for attachments? I have a lot more pictures I would like to share.

Thanks...
Buy a silver star and post all the pictures you want.

Last edited:
Dude... not for nuthin' but if you are going to hack up a cruiser why don't you start with one that is already hacked on... a completely stock functioning cruiser should be preserved. They don't come along like that too often. Sell this one to someone that will appreciate it's OEMness.

Or do whatever the hell you want, it's a free country.

Dude... not for nuthin' but if you are going to hack up a cruiser why don't you start with one that is already hacked on... a completely stock functioning cruiser should be preserved. They don't come along like that too often. Sell this one to someone that will appreciate it's OEMness.

Or do whatever the hell you want, it's a free country.
Think you a little late.... post says hes already been working on it for months, but just now posting pics.

It hurts, I agree with woytovich. A rare stock low miles FJ40 gem that is moded is insane; but each his/her own. Like finding a beautiful '36 original Ford roadster and making a hot rod out of it.....yoooooooooooooooooow

SNC00038.jpg
SNC00063.jpg
SNC00114.jpg

Days 1-8

Sorry guys it’s a little too late to keep this one 100% stock. Many modifications have already been done. My plans are to keep the interior completely stock except for the steering column. Brake, tank, engine, transmission, and lift (SOA) will (are) be done. The body will also remain stock.

Last edited:
SNC00071.jpg
SNC00073.jpg
SNC00128.jpg

Days 8-10

I finally got me a donor car (1988 IROC Camaro) with a 5.7 L TPI engine matted to a 700R4 transmission. My FJ came with tons of extra parts, one was a split transfer case that a matted to the 700R4 using AA adaptor.

Last edited:
SNC00185.jpg
SNC00213.jpg
SNC00211.jpg

Days 11-14

Welded in some front and rear engine mounts from AA. I decided to create a cross member for the AA adaptor because for some reason nobody makes one for sale. I offset the engine about 1 inch to aid in front driveshaft clearance. I also set the engine as far back as possible with out making the rear driveshaft too short.

Last edited:
Where in the Bay Area are you located?
Have you done the brakes yet? Just curious to see just what you have in mind for them.

Combat Chuck,

Brakes....

Used the front calipers off the IROC and bought rotors and brakets from Poser for the rear. The front I did the standard vented rotor and caliper upgrade, and a C & T, SOA.

SNC00257.jpg
SNC00268.jpg
SNC00271.jpg

Days 15-17

I used a tank and brackets from an early 90’s blazer. It seemed to fit like a glove. The stock blazer brackets had to be slightly modified to work. I had to move the shock mount forward about 2 inches and fab up a mount and straps to secure the tank. I left a little room between the straps and the tank because I plan on coating the tank with a type of bed linear.

Last edited:
SNC00301.jpg
SNC00306.jpg
SNC00316.jpg

Days 18-19

I used the power steering and pitman arm from the IROC because it was there and I’m pretty sure it will work nicely. I know it’s only a 3 bolt but it should be fine. I can always upgrade to a 4 bolt a later time if needed. I fab up a mounting plate and cut the tunnel hole. It came out pretty good. I also box in the other side so it matches.

Last edited:
looks good so far! keep us posted on the progress. and you will love the tuned port injection!

So, if I understand this correctly, you moved the rear shock tube forward to accomodate the gas tank, meaning..........the tank now sits directly OVER the rear diff?

:eek::eek::eek:

PLEASE clarify!

Best

Mark A.

So, if I understand this correctly, you moved the rear shock tube forward to accomodate the gas tank, meaning..........the tank now sits directly OVER the rear diff?

:eek::eek::eek:

PLEASE clarify!

Best

Mark A.

It fills the space behind the tube X member...it seems. Isn't this just about the same as any Aux tank for the 40?

attachment.php

Days 15-17

I used a tank and brackets from an early 90’s blazer. It seemed to fit like a glove. The stock blazer brackets had to be slightly modified to work. I had to move the shock mount forward about 2 inches and fab up a mount and straps to secure the tank. I left a little room between the straps and the tank because I plan on coating the tank with a type of bed linear.

Is that a full size Blazer? Or the S10 Blazer? 31gal of fuel would be nice to have in easy package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom