1961 FJ40 Soft Top build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I've been reading your posts for the last year and have decided it's time to get your input on my project. I have a '61 40 soft top that was given to me last winter. It was a previous HS shop class project, and was then used at our deer least for about 15 years. It was parked about 7 years ago and sat until I moved it in January 09.

It's a mutt. None of the interior was original, and forget about a top or doors. The tranny and transfer case are original, but changed to floor shift, and the engine was a 1955 Chevrolet 235 straight 6, welded in place. The front axle was the original TLC, but the rear axle was from something else because the diff is centered and it only has 5 lug wheels. The best part is the body and frame, very little rust. None on the frame, and the body has a little under the tail gate, that's it. It needed a lot of work, but the price was right.

Since January we have taken it down to the bare frame and started over. The frame was sandblasted and coated with oilfield zinc paint, then painted black. We piled all of the original drive train and axles in a corner and started over. I found, rebuilt, and installed a 1977 TLC tranny/t-case and both axles, so I now have front disc brakes. I also built a mild 305 SBC V8, and bought a used Advance adapters bell housing. As you can see in the pics I have the engine and tranny in the frame, but not have not fully welded everything in place because I am waiting for the body to make sure everything will line up.

I am about to start the body work, replacing the rear sill, and then take to the body shop for final prep and paint. I am a little unsure about the rear wheel cutouts, I think they have been cut out larger, but don't know for sure. Does anyone make replacement quarters for the older tubs? What about doors for the rounded openings?

Thanks to all of you for your help with this. This is my first full resto, so any ideas or comments are welcome. I will post more as I get it done. But, it will be slow.

Last edited:
Anything from a '61 is cool.

Looks like a great project so far...very nice!!!

I agree with the FJ25 tub...sure looks like it was/is an old 25 tub. What is the vin number? That will help us put a line on it's age. You can go over to the 25 section to learn more...a lot more when it comes to the truly older Cruisers.

Looking forward to reading more :beer:

Oh, and welcome to mud!

Nice rig. Your rear axle was probably original. FJ25's and early fj40s had a centered rear axle (at least from what I have read on here).

Good luck with your project!

:cheers:

looks like an early 40 from the bib and hood. there's something about those rear quarters that don't look stock. it may be the angle of the picture but I'm guessing they're cut. the top of the cut looks to be 25 series but where it raps around to the tail lights doesn't seem right:hmm: looks like original taillight brackets may still be on both sides though. dash looks a little rough. any more pics? maybe of the gas cap

This is my first full resto, so any ideas or comments are welcome.

looks like a fun rig to-be for sure. be careful how you pitch around the phrase "full resto", especially in the 25/early section. kindly enough, but criticism will come quickly:beer:

good luck with your "build"

still has the bezel :)

also looks to have the original small light tailight brackets also (behine the rear bumber) ....cool :)

looks to be a great base to start with...enjoy building.

x2 come to the 25 section for alot of old photos and literature.

xwhatever welcome to MUD :)

Thanks for your input so far. I will try to get the VIN up soon so you can help me to identify what I have. I won't have the tub in my garage for the next couple of weeks, so is there somewhere on the frame that has the vin?

I am still pretty sure that the rear axle was not original, becuase I cannot imagine that Toyota would put 6 lug wheels on the front, and 5 lug on the back.

I'll also watch out with the "resto" comments for the purists. What I am trying to build is the TLC equivalent of a Resto-mod in the hot rodding world. I would like for it to look close to original except for the wheels and tires. But, the drive train, brakes, suspension ect will be much more modern.
As you can see in the pictures I already have brand new wheels and tires, and all new suspension from Hell Creek. I still have not made up my mind on the steering, but I have some time to think.

I do have the original transmission and transfer case (still bolted to the chevy 6) if anyone has a need for that kind of stuff. I have a few other parts in boxes, but would have to look to see what is still good.

On the rear fender wells, the inside edge of the fenders are rolled in about half way up the front and back (on both sides), then the top half is just a flat edge. Can you guys tell me if they were originally rolled in all the way around?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Well, it seems that your rear wheel wells were cut out to look like they do, so you are missing some sheet metal above where the rolled edges stop. I have not purchased any myself, but you can get quarter panels at a few different places...or look and see if you can cut this piece off a junk 40, and tack it onto yours.

I am one of those purists, and I have absolutely no problem with the nice 'Build' you are doing. The way I see it, you are saving this poor old rig.

Like Johnny said, frame numbers on the front passenger frame rail just behind the front bumper...found these pics on line somewhere to help you out.
frame number sample 1.JPG
VID-frame_fj40 b.JPG

I finally got the body back to my garage at home, so now I can start the tear down. I have decided to replace the rear fenders, some of the rear sill rust is out onto the fenders, and the wheel wells are cut out too far to fix. If any of you know of someone that makes the fj25 style replacement fenders with the round openings please let me know. I haven't found them yet.

I also got the vin#. 1FJ40-10461. Let me know if this means anything to you guys. Thanks again for the help.

I have decided to replace the rear fenders, some of the rear sill rust is out onto the fenders, and the wheel wells are cut out too far to fix. If any of you know of someone that makes the fj25 style replacement fenders with the round openings please let me know.

I also got the vin#. 1FJ40-10461. Let me know if this means anything to you guys. Thanks again for the help.

only the door opening shape from a FJ25 carried over to the early 40 series. the rear quarter panel on the fj25's were specific only to the series.

the "1" at the beginning of your vin would be indicative of "1961".

here are a couple of '62's to compare rear quarters. :beer:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/161348-62-fj40.html?highlight=62+fj40

Thanks for the info, this is great news. Now I know that I can order new quarter panels, and not have to the whole thing.

Taking the chassis to the body shop tomorrow morning. The tub and front fenders are finished and ready for paint. My original dash had four holes cut where the previous owner put cheap gauges. My body man did an excellent job of filling the holes and recreating the original ribs in the dash. The rest of the tub looks pretty good, too. I'll post pics in the next week or so.

Do you have any pictures of the original transmission? A couple pictures the body work would be nice to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom