OEM bumper no match............ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DSRTRDR

I can mangle anything ...
SILVER Star
Threads
for the rock that sprung up right in front of me in an AZ wash today - that was some STOP :(

I was going about 15mph in a wash with the sun coming down right into my eyes when after coming through some narrow dense brush I came to a complete stop - crunch - I guess there was a reason the wash split into two directions right there :rolleyes:

on this photo it looks a lot less worse than it actually is ;p I didn't want to bother the 80s and K5 behind me to back up and thus did not document the rock

so in true Christmas spirit:

what should I get myself instead ? :bounce:

anyone have suggestions for a cool bumper ? ;)

BTW: anyone have an idea who originally sold those tow shackle mounts that stick through the bumper?
DSC02888.jpg

Last edited:
Claudia, in my V-A-S-T wheeling experience, that has never happened to me.

Maybe you need some different sunglasses?;)

Ed:bounce:

Claudia, in my V-A-S-T wheeling experience, that has never happened to me.

Maybe you need some different sunglasses?;)

Ed:bounce:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I had sunglasses on, but there is nothing that can block the setting sun in the American west :p

oh, well................:(

Last edited:
OUCH!

That's a heck of a sudden stop. Did you hit the steering wheel too?:eek:

If you're gonna be looking at purchasing one of the production bumpers offered from any of the cruiser vendors, me or otherwise, you'd better first make sure that your two framerails have not bent in from the impact. Most bumpers are predrilled for FACTORY spacing. Your spacing is probably now in the realm we call MODIFIED!

Also take a few minutes to consider whether or not you'll be adding a winch or power steering in the future. Not all bumpers accomodate all options.

On my 40, I purchased a ConFerr bumper with the winch option for the 8274 Warn. Didn't think anything of it at the time. Installed the power steering first. No problem. When it came time to install the winch, I realized that ConFerr and Warn both anticipated that the winch would be CENTERED in the bumper, but there was no longer room to center THAT PARTICULAR WINCH with the Saginaw steering box.

Off came the bumper, heavy grinding of winch mounting plate ensued, plate rewelded a few inches over, fairlead modified. NOW the winch could be installed. Lesson learned.

Hth

Mark A.

5 inch C channel, bobbed at the frame rails. Call it good. Mount your winch to it, put you D rings, tow bar mounts or whatever one it. All you need.

Mark...

tim hill in marana has some standard up grade bumpers (1/4", slightly shorter than stock) which I have found do wonders. As Mark said, check your frame horns- but you should still be able to use a jack to 'nurse' the bolts into the right spots.

Thanks guys :D

winch was in the plans, but like Mark said, that also has ramifications for powersteering

5 inch C channel, bobbed at the frame rails. Call it good. Mount your winch to it, put you D rings, tow bar mounts or whatever one it. All you need.

Mark...

X2, mine's not bobbed to the framerails, but it's crude, strong, and cheap

profilepic6418_1.gif

Claudia.....did you get my PM or email? I don't remember which I sent.:confused:

Ed

PMed you too.;)

Claudia.....did you get my PM or email? I don't remember which I sent.:confused:

Ed

you didn't send a PM ;) I'll look at my e-mail now :D

That's a drag, Claudia. Hope you didn't crack the frame, too....

That's a drag, Claudia. Hope you didn't crack the frame, too....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

no, not on this occasion :rolleyes: no sign of bending or paint coming off the frame horns at all :D

but the bumper is bent in both directions, too far to yank it back into shape

like others have said - time to upgrade :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom