Surf n turf 2011 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm sure this is a bit pre mature, but have there been any dates established for this years surf n turf??
All it says is nov on the tlca site.
We need to plan our time off way in advance with our jobs, is the reason I ask.

Thanks

It's usually the first weekend in November. If I were to guess, I'd plan on November 4-6, but that's just a pure guess.

Brentbba said:
It's usually the first weekend in November. If I were to guess, I'd plan on November 4-6, but that's just a pure guess.

Thanks for posting up!

Hopefully Pismo Jim can post up too.

kids bugging

yup my kids have bugged me about going back to pismo and play out in the sand dunes,they were hoping we could return sooner.:)

El Jimador

I agree with Brent, that's usually the weekend right after SEMA in Vegas.
:flipoff2: to being the last one....:meh:
El Jimador.jpg

Hope to be flying in this year for SnT.

Can't wait for the best Land Cruiser party on earth.

Looking forward to the epic Pablo Mac n Cheese!!

:cheers:

I believe Pismo requires vehicle flags now...guess I need to order a few hundred for the goodies bags...

I plan to arrive Thursday afternoon...can't wait!!!

--- Sent from my Droid w/ the new IH8MUD App!!

thats funny !! just like a old man ,gotta go all the time

So the general consensus is the 4-6 th of nov. ?

S n t is a blast for sure and definitely don't wanna miss it.

Btw... Woody... LOVE the ih8mud app brother!!! Great stuff.

Okay!!!
Just got off the phone with Pismo Jim... He verified the dates of nov. 4-6!!! Already can't wait!! Hopefully the rig will be done!!

Jim. Thanks for the info and sorry to bother you, brother.

Just did not wanna miss the event!!!

Keith

Love to hook up with someone in the North Bay Area and go down.

Peter

I believe Pismo requires vehicle flags now...guess I need to order a few hundred for the goodies bags...

That is correct. Flags are required for all vehicles to operate in the dunes. Near the water where most people are camping, the flags are not required on your tow rig/RV/etc. The rule came into effect in January 1, 2010.

Someone has GOTTA take this event over from Jim if he is truly retiring from the event. It just can't be over after this.

Someone has GOTTA take this event over from Jim if he is truly retiring from the event. It just can't be over after this.

Very few people understand the enormous amount of time, energy and work that Jim puts into this event. It has exceeded his expectations, and quite frankly has grown too large.

There are a number of logistical nightmares that will hamper someone else doing the event in the same manner as Jim does. Specifically, it would have to be someone very local that has a good working relationship with the SVRA group running Oceano Dunes. Getting all of the equipment, shirts, goodie bags, etc there would be difficult unless you were close. I know there are many locals that help Jim, and I don't know how many would be available if Jim wasn't the one putting it on.

TLCA had been approached by the membership to take it over. The challenge that I see from that is that since it is a Public SVRA, there is no way to charge an event fee. If you look at many of the other events, the access is controlled, or at least limited. And once you attempt to start charging, the very best aspect of SNT (free) is gone.

Now, this does not mean that someone else shouldn't try. Jim was fortunate that the even evolved, and he was able to "ramp up" in what it took to put it on. Someone new trying to take over an event with 400 - 500 rigs would be truly overwhelmed without prior event experience. Much of what Jim does is not really documented.

An example -- When Tony took over Event Chair for Rubithon, There were established processes, committee chairs, trail leads, volunteer clubs, etc. Tony had been involved with Rubithon for a number of years as a committee member, so he was familiar with the "behind the scenes" aspects of the event. I don't feel that really exists with SNT.

I'm looking forward to this year's event. Looking forward to the Sand Chef contests in the hope of 3-peating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom