Utility Trailer Project (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so I have a 5x10 utility trailer I bought from Lowes and will build a rack for my roof top tent and still have room to carry my ATV.

Plans:

1.) Cut and weld Square tubing and angle iron for a rack
2.) Install 3500 lb 45deg down torsion axel with new brackets
3.) Cut old fenders off and install new larger ones
4.) Put 2002 100 series wheels and tires on (canxed, bought different wheels for the 285/75/16 GY DT's)

Question, when I went to the trailer source to order parts, they said the Toyota wheels will not fit their hubs. What do I need to make this work? :confused:

Excuse the crappy BlackBerry pics...

6.jpg
7.jpg

Last edited:
Potential.....

you haz it!!

btw...I can deall with the crappy BB pix...I can't deal with straining my neck trying to look at it, because you didn't flip it! :flipoff2:

:beer:

I like it!

^Sorry, I was in a hurry.

Hey, how do you like that tent? Is that the cascades tent? Thinking of getting one, need to
get more input.

I like it, good quality. I just didn't like having it mounted to the vehicle. In certain applications, it would be better on the vehicle. Once it is set up, you are stuck and I also didn't like the extra weight and raised center of gravity driving around the mountains. It is not as easy to take on and off as I had hoped and you definitely need two people and a place to store it. Lots of extra material, so you have to be careful with the zippers. All in all, good tent and it gets the :princess: off the ground.

http://www.cascadiatents.com/

Last edited:
So, back to my original questions, how can I make the 100 series wheels fit the hubs on the new axel??

You shouldnt have any issue, order new hubs for the axle.

(I have no afffiliation with etrialer, all the same parts can be found elsware)
6 on 5-1/2 Inch Trailer Hubs and Drums | etrailer.com

That link is to 6X5.5 hubs, as far as I know the only differance from axle to axle would be the bering size in the hub for the axle. I purchased hubs to fit my CNDN101 so I would think for a modern trailer its easily doable.

HTH

-Caleb

What is the stud/bolt pattern of the 100 series wheels? If it is something unusual (i.e. NOT 5x4.5, 5x4.75, 5x5, 5x5.5, 6x5.5, or 8x6.5) then you're probably looking at adapters of some sort.

Looks like it is:
MODEL -Land Cruiser
YEAR -98-on
SIZE -16x8
P.C.D. -5x150
LUG SIZE -14mmx1.5
MM -110
OS -H

So in SAE terms that is 5x5.91", I think that you're looking at needing to buy spacer-adapters. I think that there was a recent thread on exactly this topic?

I saw a thread on the 5x150mm and they said spacers/adapters, but no updates... My trailer is on jack stands and I cannot order anything until I know how to make the wheels work. I could buy some cheap wheels, just wanted to use the Toyota wheel/tire combo on the trailer.
I'll keep searching...

Ok, so talked to a few people including Carl JTs Parts & Accessories, Justdifferentials.com and there are no options out there for 100 series wheels and trailer hubs, aside from drilling the hubs. Not willing to drill, so I am just going to buy some 16 inch trailer wheels and put the 285/75/16's on them. This way, when I want the 16's back on the 100, I have em'. Downside, I'll have to carry another spare on the trailer. :meh:
The project continues...

Cant you just drill balnks?

Tonnes of those hubs over here :cheers:

Plans on modifying the tongue of the trailer?

I have a similar trailer, 5x10 tilt bed, and am still eyeballing it to be a general purpose/quad hauler trailer.

^Just adding a tool box on the tongue for now. Thinking about a pintle/lunette set up, but not sure how necessary this would be with an ATV in the trailer.

Finally got my axel and other misc parts in from Classic Trailer, great weather this weekend to work on the trailer. Torched old axel/fenders, welded new axel and painted the tent rack and drilled holes for attaching it to the trailer.
Up next, wheels and tires...

2.jpg

Cut the old axel and fenders off.
1.jpg

Welded the new axel on.
3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good, if you get a chance would you mind measuring that tongue box and looking for a part number on it? Something like that is what I plan on using on my project.

Worked on the trailer more this weekend.

I think Bandit approves of the wheels/tires.
1b.jpg

Putting rack in place.
2b.jpg

Test fit of ATV with new spare mount.
3b.jpg

Bolted down the rack and tool box.
4b.jpg

Tent opened.
5b.jpg

6b.jpg

7b.jpg

Sheet metal fender template.
8b.jpg

Hopefully I will get the fenders made this week and we can come up with a folding table. :hmm:

Aside from just using jack stands, anyone using anything to stabilize their trailers while camping??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom