Rubithon 2010 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phipsi.net
I was wondering if anyone (Tony?) had any info on Rubi 2010. I haven’t seen or heard anything and I typically have to start planning out that trip and blocking the time from now. Thanks in advance:beer:

Hi Sam

There are two tentative dates, and I thought we had nailed one down. Both dates have issues

First date was early, and would impact people with kids in school. 2nd date was father's day weekend, and coincides with a trip Toy's on the Rocks will be taking. Since Toy's on the Rocks is such a huge contributor to putting on Rubithon, Tony was trying to come up with a good date for all. I think that's why you haven't heard anything yet.

However -- I just checked the tlca website (Upcoming Events) and it shows:

22nd Annual Rubithon · June 15-20, 2010 · Rubicon Trail, California

So, I guess we are solid on Father's Day weekend.

Hi Sam

There are two tentative dates, and I thought we had nailed one down. Both dates have issues

First date was early, and would impact people with kids in school. 2nd date was father's day weekend, and coincides with a trip Toy's on the Rocks will be taking. Since Toy's on the Rocks is such a huge contributor to putting on Rubithon, Tony was trying to come up with a good date for all. I think that's why you haven't heard anything yet.

However -- I just checked the tlca website (Upcoming Events) and it shows:

22nd Annual Rubithon · June 15-20, 2010 · Rubicon Trail, California

So, I guess we are solid on Father's Day weekend.

Happy Father's Day it is...hopefully we'll have a Saturday exit like last year so as to make the drive home in time to celebrate. Thank you Woody I appreciate the info.

Yes, June 15 to 20. I tried to avoid fathers day, but that F.D. moves around so we sticking to our usual weekend in June. I think next year it falls on F.D. and then we are clear after that for some time.

Rubithon attendees and other interested friends...

Your 2010 Rubithon team is nearly complete!

Chairman - Brett Favre
Registration - Cindy Twiddy
Raffle Chair - Dave Thomas (no, the other Dave Thomas)
Safety/First Aid - Bruce Shoff
Camp Comm - Robert Mutzig
Mog Crew - Phil Pasciak and his operator
Trail Comm - Jim Henle
Web Master - Matt Farr

Trail leads (in no order)
Gary 'Mudrak' Kardum
Bill Jackson
Big Jim Adams
Georg Esterer
Ross kuzma
Andy Pollock
and a few players to be named later who are on hold out for a better contract.

June 15 to 20th, 2010. Yes, this is Father's Day weekend so make it a memorable one.
Father's day moves around. In another year or two, it will move to a different weekend.

NEWS FLASH - New PO Box for TLCA and Rubithon!!! PO Box 11, Auburn, CA 95604

Many decisions to be finalized, the big one... Dinner on Friday night or back to Saturday night??
Plan on Saturday Dinner at this time.

That is all for now! Mark your calendars, schedule the time off, and for crying out loud, get your truck ready now, not June 11th!! :)

Tony Twiddy
Rubithon U - School of hard rocks!

Last edited:
If you are interested in helping with the raffle please send me a pm. If you are interested in donating to the raffle you may pm me your information and I can send you the information on where to send donations.

Thanks,
Dave Thomas
The other Dave Thomas

Hi, I've looked at all the pics,video and write ups and am seriously interested in participating. I do still have a few questions.

I have an 80 series on 35s with arbs I guess I would sign up for the wagons group?

Is there a limit to the number of people?

How long does the trip take? (Need to schedule missing work)

What do most people bring for food?

What's the weather usually like?

Oh yeah, do you have to pay for passengers, if so how much?

Sorry about the dumb questions.

Last edited:
Hey ED...

Yes, you're wagon will feel comfortable wheeling with other wagons...

The event is limited to approx 200 trucks. Runs (you are only on One) enter on Tuesday, Wed, Thur or Friday... a run will take one or two days to enter, you stay at Rubicon Springs thru Sat, and you leave on Sunday. Takes anywhere from 5 to 3 days depending on run selection.

Most people bring food fit for human consumption. Some people bring food that is not fit for human consumption, and some folks simply eat dog food. The event provides a Saturday breakfast and dinner. You are on your own for all other meals. Usually there are fire restrictions so ensure you can also cook your food on a propane stove just in case.

Weather - anywhere from blistering hot to freezing cold, with all levels in between possible. No Seriously, bring shorts and tennis shoes, bring a pair of warm pants, and bring a rain jacket. You just never know.

HTH

Hi, I've looked at all the pics,video and write ups and am seriously interested in participating. I do still have a few questions.

I have an 80 series on 35s with arbs I guess I would sign up for the wagons group?

Is there a limit to the number of people?

How long does the trip take? (Need to schedule missing work)

What do most people bring for food?

What's the weather usually like?

Oh yeah, do you have to pay for passengers, if so how much?

Sorry about the dumb questions.

There are no dumb questions. Most people actually bring to much, me included, but better to prepared than not. With the Wagon run your trail leader can help you focus on what and what not to bring. I think fine wine and appetizers are mandatory for their run.

The comments below on what to bring for Rubithon were on an old post. All vehicles must meet TLCA requirements.

The following are only suggestions. Not everyone brings a chainsaw.

Bring fuel (depending on your estimated usage or just fill up before you hit the trail)
Food
Money for raffle
Tarps are good
Run a bikini top and bring a small tarp for a quick soft top if rain
Camp showers or sun shower bag
Drinking water
Lantern
Mosquito repellent
Clothes (it gets warm in day and cold at night usually, but also might rain or even snow. Check weather just before trip. Dress in layers)
Chair
Tent
First Aid Kit
Chainsaw (optional. There are always a few their)
Camp stove or grill
Vodka
Sun screen
Raffle donations
Trail Snacks-doughnuts
Toothbrush
More bug repellent
Porta potty or PETT type portable toilet are required
Ice (may want to look into dry-ice). Dry ice is the ticket if you don't have an ARB fridge. A layer of dry ice with frozen water bottles on top to insulate your food works. Wrap dry Ice in Paper and put at bottom. Don’t use to much or it will freeze your entire Ice Chest.
Bring a small Ice Chest that is readily accessible for drinks, sandwich stuff
Plan your meals loosely, and freeze some of it.
A spill kit
Shovel
Always bring warm clothes, rain gear; shorts (Pack your clothes up off the floor. You WILL get water in your cab at some point. Make sure your sleeping bag is up there too)
Make up meals, zip lock or seal-a-meal them and freeze them. Adds to the cooling ability.
Zip lock bags of ice. - I had a cooler open in the bowl -- ice everywhere.
Action packers are a nice way to store everything, and it keeps the stuff dry.
Cash for raffle tickets. At least $100. Maybe two.
Toilet kits are required for all Rubithon participants.
First off, think Safety! I want everyone, their equipment and our environment to be safe. No accidents, injuries, spills, etc. Safety first.

Do not under estimate the mosquitoes! Also, bone up on West Nile virus... that info alone will prompt bug juice.
At least one set of warm/rain gear... even if forecasting 100 degree weather.
However, daily attire will probably be t-shirts and shorts.
We are going to try for an ice run again (did not need last year) so if entering early, be sure to sign up for a bag of ice when checking in. This will probably happen on Friday (not guaranteed).
Be sure to bring your drivers license and ensure your truck is registered or green stickered. You will not even get through Tech without those.
Bring a hat. Sunscreen and aspirin, Pepto Bismo and Tums. Sometimes going from sea level to elevation, doing physical exercise, heat, laughter, can give you a head ache.
Baby wipes are handy for... well, you will figure that out.
Bring some cash. Cash is king. Spare parts, ice, a cold beer, raffle tix.
Bring a positive attitude. As long as you have that, nothing else really matters because everything works out great with a positive attitude.
If you only take one thing from this post, Safety and a positive attitude.
Plastic trash bags are a good thing for containing spills.
BEER. Canned is best- avoid glass if you can. I love bottled beer though.
Non- alcoholic drinks. I bring powdered crystal light or powdered Gatorade and a few gallons of fresh water
A few good sized tarps
Pack your stuff in waterproof containers.
Biodegradable/ eco friendly soaps, a scrubbing sponge, towels
We premix and make most of our food. Use eggbeaters for breakfast. Easy clean up.
Bring Advil to shake off the hangovers

The wagon run is of course the best run, so you should sign up for that.:D I'm hoping for the early Wednesday start again.

A good attitude and a well maitained truck will get you through the trail just fine.

If we get a vote, I would vote for dinner on Friday night, but Saturday is OK too.

The weather can be all over the map. It's usually warm and nice, but it can rain, thunderstorm, snow and be windy. I've seen all of those the last 10 years.

Looking forward to another epic year.

Tony-you are the Iron Man of the Rubithon. Thank you.

Last years Dinner plan was AWESOME, then again I know I'm bias b/c of the drive I have back down south to LA. Trying to trailer her this year so I can play a little harder than normal (fingers crossed).

The wagon run is of course the best run, so you should sign up for that.:D I'm hoping for the early Wednesday start again.

A good attitude and a well maitained truck will get you through the trail just fine.

If we get a vote, I would vote for dinner on Friday night, but Saturday is OK too.

The weather can be all over the map. It's usually warm and nice, but it can rain, thunderstorm, snow and be windy. I've seen all of those the last 10 years.

Thanks for all the good replys. Unfortunately due to a wedding that I'm apparently not allowed to miss, I can't make 2010. I'll have to wait to 2011, oh well. :doh:

Do most of the 80s that do the wagon run have skid plates? That's one piece of armor I don't have.

Skid plates are pretty much required.

I'm already excited and looking forward to this event. Maybe that will translate to getting my rig ready in advance (Ehhh! who am I kidding)

Skid plates are pretty much required.

Not if you're on 40's ;)....Drew CRAWLER!!! let me know:beer:

Last edited:
Rubithon attendees and other interested friends...

Your 2010 Rubithon team is nearly complete!

Chairman - Brett Favre
Registration - Cindy Twiddy
Raffle Chair - Dave Thomas (no, the other Dave Thomas)
Safety/First Aid - Bruce Shoff
Camp Comm - Robert Mutzig
Mog Crew - Phil Pasciak and his operator
Trail Comm - Jim Henle
Web Master - Matt Farr

Trail leads (in no order)
Gary 'Mudrak' Kardum
Bill Jackson
Big Jim Adams
Georg Esterer
Ross kuzma
Andy Pollock
and a few players to be named later who are on hold out for a better contract.

June 15 to 20th, 2010. Yes, this is Father's Day weekend so make it a memorable one.
Father's day moves around. In another year or two, it will move to a different weekend.

NEWS FLASH - New PO Box for TLCA and Rubithon!!! PO Box 11, Auburn, CA 95604

Many decisions to be finalized, the big one... Dinner on Friday night or back to Saturday night??
Plan on Saturday Dinner at this time.

That is all for now! Mark your calendars, schedule the time off, and for crying out loud, get your truck ready now, not June 11th!! :)

Tony Twiddy
Rubithon U - School of hard rocks!

Brett Favre! I'll be there!

Noah

We are in discussions to move the raffle to before dinner ... Dinner would still be Saturday, but the Happy Hour could start a bit earlier, and/or people could bail after the raffle and still get to the top of the hill before midnight.

We are back to our "normal" schedule of Saturday breakfast and dinner.

Thanks!

Noah

We are back to our "normal" schedule of Saturday breakfast and dinner.

Thanks!

Interesting-So cooked breakfast on Saturday? Awesome.

Pretty much a confirmed deal.

Friday night: Committee Awards and appreciation, then M-Bar
Saturday: Breakfast, Raffle at 1 PM, Dinner around 6. (to support our S. Cal friends)
Sunday: Exit strategy up Cadillac Hill

The idea of moving the raffle to Saturday Afternoon is: We are always a bit rushed as night approaches, Many S. Cal folks leave Saturday before dinner to begin the long ride home, and this will allow for some parts swapping or exchanges after the raffle.

I am also pleased to note that the phenomenal graphic designer Rainey Kirk will be assembling our artwork for 2010. For those of you not familiar with his work, be sure to visit:

Rainey Kirk Illustration
and now...
Antique Photo Repair - Photo repair, renewal and restoration > Home

I am truly very fortunate to have so many fine folks involved and supporting Rubithon!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom