ZF axle info? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bjowett

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I found a pair of ZF steer axles... can probably snag them for a song. Does anybody have any info or place to gather that info on them? Google hasn't taken me very far on this one. They don't look monster truck size, but similar to the diagram below....

ZFaxle.jpg

Check the gearing on them. Better be ready for big tires..

Aftermarket is not that great but they should be a reasonable axle..

I am aware they probably have something in the 15:1 area. My best guess is they are front tractor axles due to having a center pivot mount over the diff. They are currently on a chevy frame, someone was building a mini monster and for some reason it ended up in the junkyard.

if I put that under my rig I would have 180:1 in first gear with out the transfercase...and 538.65:1 with the t-case...

or in my other rig it would be 739.8 :1 nether of those rigs have autos...

Yipps you would have to have some huuuge tires to go with those axles.

I am aware they probably have something in the 15:1 area. My best guess is they are front tractor axles due to having a center pivot mount over the diff. They are currently on a chevy frame, someone was building a mini monster and for some reason it ended up in the junkyard.

Are you sure they're not aircraft tug axles? The chevys had a 6.2, th400 and a NP208 'case locked in low. These were on Pirate a long time ago....
001temp.jpg
002temp.jpg
003temp.jpg

They were put under a varity of equipment. The ones I have seen were from airport tugs and had a total gear reduction of 22:1
There are roughly the width of full size picjup axles. Maybe a tad narrower.

Neat setup for a tractor tired buggy. Unfortunately not good for much else.

Mark...

Anyone know exactly how 23:1 reduction is acheived in those axles. Does it have a typical R&P, im guessing not, or else they'd probably break all the time.

gear reduction hubs..

The lines coming off the steering knuckle - I assume they supply fluid to the internal wet brakes (?) If not, looks like a pinion brake would need to be fabbed.
Killer ground clearance & steering angle!
Can you buy a hub regear kit?
That housing looks way heavy & those CV's look kinda small - what size are the u-joints in that CV?
What's the bolt pattern on those wheels & what dia. are they?
Cool to look at & dream about, but not very practical for a crawler cuz sometimes you NEED wheelspeed, IMO.

The lines coming off the steering knuckle - I assume they supply fluid to the internal wet brakes (?) If not, looks like a pinion brake would need to be fabbed.
Killer ground clearance & steering angle!
Can you buy a hub regear kit?
That housing looks way heavy & those CV's look kinda small - what size are the u-joints in that CV?
What's the bolt pattern on those wheels & what dia. are they?
Cool to look at & dream about, but not very practical for a crawler cuz sometimes you NEED wheelspeed, IMO.

No clue on brakes. steering angle is awesome.. no clue on hub regear but I kinda doubt it, they are not like a portal box. CV's dont have to be super strong if there is gearing between them and the tire.

Actually one of the more famous rockcrawlers uses a similar axle to those, wheelspeed is not a problem if you are not low geared in the tranny/tcase.

IIRC the ujoints are the same as a D44?

Edit: How do "wet brakes" work? The axles in the pictures above don't seem have any provision for brakes in a normal disk/drum sense. All I can see is the knuckle and hub.

Is the rear axle there too? The chevy military tugs are 4 wheel steer.

Fronts and rears are the same in the tugs. There are no non-steer versions of these under the applications I have seen them in.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom