Yosemite to North Rim-Grand Canyon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Now that is cool. If I ever get to Oakhurst, I want you to introduce me. I'd like to shake the man's hand for a job done extremely well. Maybe he'd sign one or two of his books in my collection. I'd love to see his collection of old photos-like the ones he has sprinkled in his books. 4 Wheeling in the 1950s must have been pretty lonely, but he still went everywhere.

Sure, I could probably set you up. ;)

I haven't actually driven from Yosemite to the Grand Canyon's North Rim, but I've been to both on different occasions (and about 13 National Parks in total).

If one of your goals is to drive thru or visit several National Parks and get your money's worth from the National Parks annual pass ($80), then you might want to consider going thru Death Valley and Zion.

I prefer to go to Yosemite in the spring when the waterfalls are going strong. I had to pound the reservation lines as soon as my dates become "reservable" to get a campsite in the valley in Upper Pines. Eat breakfast at the amazing Awahnee Hotel and hang out in the lobby and its grounds. Also, keep in mind that the day tourists arrive by bus and car around 10 am and depart by 4 pm, so early in the morning and late at night the park feels a lot less crowded than in the middle of the day. Get up early and beat the day tourists to the sites.

Bodie is a ghost town preserved in what's called arrested decay -- meaning the park rangers don't improve it, but they don't let it get worse. It's maintained to look as when everyone left town. You'll have to visit on your way out of Yosemite and on your way to Death Valley.

There are a few ghost towns in Death Valley NP. I just got back from 3 days in DV during Thanksgiving. November is one of the most popular months in DV. The good tent campsites were full and the hotels were also booked, but we got lucky and got a night at Furnace Creek Ranch Hotel and another night at a tent site in Panamint Springs Resort. Lot's of off-road bikes and jeeps in November. Some hotels and campsites are closed in the summer and they open in mid-October. Lots of dirt roads like Titus Canyon and the road to the Racetrack (and the back road to Panamint Springs). Not sure about going in the summer and dealing with the 120 degree temperatures.

Zion is also hot, but it's on your way to the North Rim. We stayed at a hotel near Zion called the Desert Pearl Inn that had a great pool overlooking some magnificent boulders. Nice to jump in the water in the summer, but it was over 100 in late August in Zion.

We also went to Bryce Canyon, but I'm not sure if you have time to go there. I really enjoyed the hikes in Bryce Canyon and the thunderstorms in late August.

Try to get a meal at the lodge in the North Rim. It has spectacular views of the Grand Canyon. I really liked the area around the North Rim as well more than the South Rim. I didn't get a chance to explore the valley, but it's not an easy hike!

I forgot to mention that the Mammoth Lakes area is one of my favorite in the summer. There are hot springs, volcano craters, devil's post pile, rainbow falls, obsedion peak, june lake loop, etc. I was there for 4 days in the summer and it was awsome. Camp in one of the campsites around the June Lake Loop and bring your fishing pole to catch your dinner.

Last edited:
others have already covered most of what I'd have to offer.

Going to the north rim of the grand canyon from california pretty much ensures you're going through the northwestern corner of arizona, then into st. george utah to turn south, unless you've got some cross country expedition through BLM land planned (and if so, take pics and post the route).

Because of this, you're within an hour drive of Zion National Park, and it would be a shame to miss it. If you don't want to camp around a bunch of people, there is dispersed camping available in the northwest corner of the park, as well as a primitive campground with six sites. The hike up the narrows (ask a ranger) is amazing, and there is a place in town just outside the south entrance that rents "wet suit" socks with shoes that will make the hike up the narrows a lot more pleasant. A walking stick is also quite handy, since you're walking almost knee high through a flowing river for the bulk of the hike. The weeping rock is also worth seeing, and is an easy hike with no special equipment required.

About ten miles south of the airport in Hurricane, UT is an old mormon escape trail. Pretty easy drive, with the exception of one gnarly loose rocky off camber spot. Gorgeous views, and it's kinda sorta on the way into arizona from Hurricane to get to the Grand Canyon. If this interests you, I'll have to dig up the details and waypoints and such if this interests you.

On the way to the north rim, there is a fire lookout that someone mentioned in Kaibab National Forest that you'll drive by. It is usually locked, but the view from just below the locked cabin is amazing. There are also a few dirt roads that you can drive around in the national forest, some with views that rival what you'd find in the national park. Unfortunately, a good chunk of the forest burned in a fire last year, and there's a lot of logging going on in the area, though I don't think it's quite a clearcut operation that would require letting the oil out of bulldozers or anything. There is a ranger station in Jacob's Lake (where you turn off 89 to head to the north rim) that can provide information about that area if you're interested. There's also a dirt road that completely bypasses jacob's lake, possibly even Kanab if I remember right, heading straight to the fields just north of the north rim boundary.

When you get into the north rim, if you're driving a reasonably equipped 4x4, you should head out to sublime point. Ask a ranger if you can't find it on the map. It is gorgeous out there, and there are a couple of spots that would make good campsites if you want to be in the middle of nowhere with amazing view. Do remember you're in a national park, and tread lightly on the way out there though.

The four wheeling isn't anything ridiculous, then again, we were in a triple locked 80 with 33s and a 3" OME lift, so maybe it was a little worse than I remembered.

I have some pictures of the area somewhere. If you're interested, I can dig them up.

Ballaratt is not that great, but the canyon just behind it is. (Pleasant Canyon). That takes you up thousands of feet in the Panamints with extended 4wheeling opportunities in Middle Park and South Park. Great views of Butte Valley off the rim of South Park. It will be much cooler up there and a respite from the heat of DV proper.

Good description, but a word or warning - There are a couple of miles of heavy brush and trees in Pleasant canyon that will leave major pinstriping. The rest of the route is beautiful and at times challanging. Sounds like it will be a great trip.
For a ghost town, there's Rhyolite close to Beatty NV

Did the trip you're planning in 2006 with my 80. Blog here (sorry It's in French but there are pics)

I really recommend:
- Half dome
- Tioga Pass
- Calico Ghost town
- Mono Lake
- Ancient Bristlecone forest (@10,000+ ft, but they're the oldest trees on earth!)
- Death Valley can be difficult with kids in summer (dehydration) but you might just spend half a day there if in a rush, in and out of the rig (Badwater, Zabriskie Point, Devil's golf course, Dante's view)
- Vegas
- Zion Natl Park - unforgettable but sometimes crowded
- Bryce Canyon natl park
- Slot canyons around Kanab/Lee's Ferry/Page
PM me if you need some specifics about hotels or campgrounds.
:cheers:

Summer time just forget about (my favorite place) Death Valley IMO , stay to the High country come down Tioga pass on 120 stop @ the Whoa Nellie Deli in Lee Vining Ca. go see Bodie stay at Benton Hot springs then 120 to 6 east to Tonopah east on 6 to 378 north to Belmont Manhatta Ghost towns,
N up the Monitor Valley between the Toquima range and the Monitor Range ca stop in Dicks Saloon have a drink and read Mark Twain off the News paper Insulated walls.
Old mines and old ruins 4X4 roads every ware camp where you want Pine creek If you want a camp ground not too many people. you could git lost out there :D
take some gas you could continue north and come out on Highway 50 go east through Eureka Nv through Ely to the Great Basin NP
from there you could go South on 95 to LV or through Mesquite to the Grand Wash / Parasuant even to Toweep camp in GC there Zion NP is cool too ...Welcom to my play ground...Dusty 66

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom