Yet another lift Q - BDS on a BJ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.nsmb.com
I searched and came up with nothing, so:

Anyone have experience with a BDS lift on a diesel? They are made for an FJ, does the weight make a difference? I know with OME the diesel requires the heavy springs on the front, but the BDS does not appear to have different springs you can get? I will have a big bumper, winch, etc as well. My local shop says it will be fine, but I dunno...But then again half the price of the OME really helps the student budget ;)

Hello, I have a bds on a bj60. Seems fine.

Although no big bumper of winch on there yet.

But it is a pretty rigid spring set up. I see no problem with it handling a little more wieght.

If your shopping around for lifts also look at the dakar OME ones. See the price comparision.

I am happy with the bds springs tho. I had no strange settling problems. They did settle after they were installed, but all equal.

I went up 7 inches average after installing, the old springs I had must have been way lower than stock. But with in a few thousand kms I was back down to the 2.5 over stock. I guess.

You will need longer brake lines. They are a 10mm metric brake line. Best bet is to measure the line, then go about 50% longer. Go to napa and have them look up the brake line in the manuals, they will see the ends you have. Then they can pick a length that is approx 50% longer than what you previously had.

Then change out the brake hose before the springs arrive. Its a bugger doing it all at the same time......

I didn't need a front brake hose, just a rear. I think stock was 13 inches, I went with a 18 inch hose. There is only two brake lines. One rear, one forward. Each caliper has one, but they are mounted to the axle, and have a tee up to the frame line.

I would also buy new poly bushings for when you do the change over. Also consider new pins and shackles. I bought anti inversion shackles. And greaseable pins.

On an old BJ60 the pins and bushings will be very stuck... you will need heat to break them free. heat up the pin till it burns out of bushing..... lots of info on here.

thanks for the info. I think I'm going to do pretty much the same as what you did. I'll definatly put in new pins and shackles. My dad just did new shackles and bushings on his bj70 and what an improvement it made to it! I'm looking foreward to this.

My shackles were normal height. I didn't do the extended thing.

But the BDS is a good spring system.

Is it for sale at Interior Offroad? Or what other off road places could you buy from?

Don't count out Prince George Coil and Spring too. They could make custom Springs. They might have stock size available specs, and go from there.

No brake lines, but rear brake hose was too short.

Maybe a fj62 is different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom