x (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm really glad your doing this. I'm at the point where I need to rebuild my hinges also. CruiserBrett will probably be doing his too. I'll see him next week and show him this thread. Thanks you sir!!

one of the vendors here has cygnus white is rattle cans for 15 bucks a pop.........

If your W hole is too tight the ID of the bushing will collapse when inserted leaving the hole too small for the pin. If this happens you 'might' be able to ream the hole out with an 8mm drill bit but be carefull.

About your idea for a paint to resist rust in the hinge and under the bearing, I'm thinking molebdenum paint. :meh:

Another concern is the fit between the pressed in bearings and the hinge stay. Have you checked to see if the hinge will reassemble? iirc there is only .070 clearance total. I'm thinking you can hold the bearings upside down against the hinge and use the stay as a caliper to check.

Another idea I saw was a guy had drilled and installed a grease zerk at the point indicated with the red arrow. Slick!
upper_hinges_sml.JPG

I'm a bit confused what you are asking here.

If you mean can the hinges be assembled once the bearings are pressed in, yes. I double checked before assembly.

Yes, that's what I meant, sorry about the poor phrasing.

I'm still trying to figure out if I received the right bushings. They will not fit over the 8mm rod I'm using. The rod fit perfectly in the hinge. An 8mm bolt does fit at least the threaded part.

On the zerk, the only issue I see there is that the bushings are pressed in so all it would do is fill cavity between the bushings. Not sure how effective that will prevent rust underneath the bushings or at the "fixed" side.

Right, I understood that you are concerned about rust where the bearing seats in the hinge thus the molebdenum paint suggestion. It acts as a lubricant in industrial apps but in your case I was thinking it would work as a material that could possibly survive the press fitting and stay in place under the bearing without flaking off.

I was thinking that besides helping resist rust the zerk injected grease would also act as a lubricant between the rod and bearings.

Onto a partial update... I've finally cut apart all the hinges and I'm working on cleaning them up. (SouthBostonFJ, if you want to borrow this set, they can be available)

I actually have a set of hinges from another Mud member but I cannot get them apart without damaging them. This seems to be an issue with these hinges.

If I made copies from your bushings and sold them, does that solve a current problem?
Or
Is it easier to use the current bushings?

I'm all for making them, but if they will only serve a small number of people then it may not be worth it. I am open to ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom