Wiper Motor Dilema (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
SO I have an 85 j60 with a new electrical gremlin. The wiper motor blows fuses... Now not just when running actually it only blows fuses when it's sitting idle motor off. I can actually hear them pop. Now I assumed that the motor was the culprit, after disconnecting it and finding that the rear wiper worked and didn't blow fuses. So Georg got me a new motor and I will re-wire and put it in but before I go down this road does anyone have any other suggestions I would be wise to check?
On a like question has anyone ever had any experiences re-wiring a 85 wiper motor to a different year? Round plug to square?
Thanks

Last edited:
I would start looking for a ground somewhere. Check what wiring you can as it sounds like there is some wire exposed somewhere that is grounding.

The 60 has several grounds. The main ground for the wiper mount should be from the heater valve assy on the firewall to the cylinder head (see 82001). This should be missing on the rig.

Here are the others. (From aft to bow.)
1. The rear ground is for the taillights and is under the rear lift gate across from the gas tank.
2. There are two grounds for the wire harness that are under the dash on the left and right of the firewall.
3. Transfer case to the body. Directly above the transfer case.
4. Starter (bottom bolt) to the frame. (Thanks for the help Joe_E.)
5. Right motor mount > Body > negative post on battery.
6. Cylinder head to heater valve as stated above.

Getting the ground is key to having properly working electrical units. BTW, the body of the wiper motor is probably being used as a ground. Make sure it's got a good connect as well.

Editted for correction.

Last edited:
The 60 has several grounds. The main ground for the wiper mount should be from the heater valve assy on the firewall to the valve cover (see 82001). This should be missing on the rig.

Here are the others. (From aft to bow.)
1. The rear ground is for the taillights and is under the rear lift gate across from the gas tank.
2. There are two grounds for the wire harness that are under the dash on the left and right of the firewall.
3. Transfer case to the body. Directly above the transfer case.
4. Starter (bottom bolt) to the frame. (Thanks for the help Joe_E.)
5. Right motor mount > Body > negative post on battery.
6. Valve cover to heater valve as stated above.

Getting the ground is key to having properly working electrical units. BTW, the body of the wiper motor is probably being used as a ground. Make sure it's got a good connect as well.

Thank you I will start there. Come to think of it this began after replacing the knuckle in the stearing column and having the wheel out along with the wire harness un hooked. It also seems to have coincided with the reverse lights going out......

The 60 wiper motor wiring circuit is also tied into the dash green 4wd light wiring.

This was my problem when I was blowing fuses...every time I turned on the wipers. The wire from the T-Case up to the dash was shorting out...repaired the wiring and no more blown fuses whenever I turned on the wipers.

John

actually cylinder head to bolt at heater control valve (aka body ground). Not valve cover. That wire is there to provide another ground path for the head.. for the spark plugs.

That's right.
Thanks for the correction sir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom