Windshield Rivets and trim, etc. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read through most of the windshield threads on here and gotten some great info from them.

First, a story. We bought our 100 with a cracked windshield so I had it replaced on day 1. It had been previously replaced, and whoever did it in the past secured the side aluminum trims on with 2 wood screws on each side (leaving 2 exposed holes on each side).

The guy that then did the windshield for us used the same two screws on both sides to secure the aluminum trim, nothing else. After reading up on this forum I called the installers and asked why it wasn't riveted. The guy said without any hesitation that 2 screws per side is the proper repair. Incredible.

Anyway, I riveted both sides fully, removing all the screws. Was not even remotely difficult to do, so it's done and that's that. Put a little RTV on each rivet since it looks like the holes go right into the A pillar.

What I'm wondering is if there is supposed to be additional trim or a gasket of some sort that goes over the riveted trim to cover up the rivets? Or, are the rivet heads supposed to be visible? Looking at the parts diagrams I ordered what appeared to be rubber trim pieces for both sides but they seem too flat to really effectively fit in the side channels. I think that trim goes on the glass itself and is already there.

the flat long piece you are referring to does in fact go over the side area of the trim where the rivets are to cover them up and stop wind noise also.

the flat long piece you are referring to does in fact go over the side area of the trim where the rivets are to cover them up and stop wind noise also.

Good to know. Any pics of this piece installed? The one I got has basically an L profile to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom