Winch PTO on 1977 FJ45 - Wonder what this might this be? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This new to me 1977 FJ45 has a PTO and PTO driveshaft to the front, but no winch. Judging by the shifter mount, I doubt that the FJ originally came with a PTO winch - I could be wrong though. The shifter pivots forwards and backwards on a mount fastened to the top of the tunnel. The PTO driveshaft is one long shaft, with a U joint at the front. The underside and various parts look a little crusty, and someone sprayed the underside and various nooks and crannies with a yellow foam. Hopefully all that will look better sometime during the next few years - it's a long term project I expect.
Can anyone tell me more about these parts and the installation? Do the PTO unit, shifter, and driveshaft parts look incorrect for the year, as I suspect? If not correct, any idea on what they may have come from? And what kind of winch (brand, model, etc) should I be looking for to go with this setup?

pto 6.jpg

pto 1.jpg

20231119_131235.jpg

20231119_131245.jpg

pto 8.jpg

I would strongly consider hooking up a hydraulic pump to that pto. You could run a winch or log splitter off that pump. Perhaps other stuff such as a snow plow/blower, maybe a small badger type backhoe, post hole auger....

If I had to guess think that may be a Ramsey end on that driveshaft. The rest of the driveshaft looks complete custom. Would add a lock on the shift lever if you installed a winch. You want be sure the PTO is locked in neutral when not in use.

Thanks for the information, everyone. Adding a lock for the shift lever certainly will need to happen. Unfortunately, as stock lock won't work for this - unless it is mounted in an elevated position. I do have a few decisions to make, for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom