White Trash Lexus - Phoenix - Fire restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/408614-white-trash-lexus-burnt-up-now-what.html

Since the insurance stuff is settled (FINALLY), I'm finally starting the clean up in ernist.

I had already cleaned up the windshield, front windows and dash to at least make it so I could see to drive. Just good ole dawn on the dash. The windows required extensive work with a scrapper. Should have pulled out the rubbing alcohol - which I'm going to try on some of the surfaces. While using a Flame Ionization Detector to determine VOC levels (Viotile Organic Compounds - the smelly stuff) some years back, we had issues that what we were measuring was too dirty for the machine to handle, and we had to do some filtering, and had to clean the filter housings after each test. What we used was normal rubbing alcohol, at the FID suppliers recomendation. What we were cleaning was the reside from the smoke coming out of a self clean range. When you put 1/2 pound of meat, lard and pie filling in an oven, you get some really nasty stuff to burn off. All that to say, it worked on that, so it's worth trying on this.

I didn't mess with the rear windows at all cause I'm replacing the whole doors w/ ones from my bro's part out truck - getting rid of door dents, smokey interior and gunked up windows all in one shot. Same thing with the rear most window, one was busted out, and I'm just gonna replace both and save myself some hassle.

SOOOOoooooo All the seats, headliner, carpet ect. were left at the dump. Then $15 in quarters were burnt up at the car wash vaccuuming and power washing the interior. Once I got home, I blocked off the busted out window - and set off the Fire D Fog Bomb. I've heard it works great. I've heard it just covers the smell and the only way to get rid of the smell is to use ozone. I've been told, "just put some fans on it for a while". And I've been told to cut off the roof and forget the smell. We'll see what actually happens. It definately doesn't smell like smoke right now - 15 hours after application. I'm flying out in a couple hours and won't be back for a couple days - so we'll see what it's like when I get back.

Anyone know how to get the sunroof sheild out?
clean up 1.jpg
clean up 2.jpg
clean up 3.jpg

Last edited:
my front seat was up for replacement anyway as you can tell. I honestly think it's gonna be better in the end considering how worn the interior was.
clean up 4.jpg
clean up dash.jpg
Clean up DS.jpg

hahaha good luck man!

I see you found the "Fire D". It sure will kill the smell and make it a nice bubble gum smell inside.
I hope you find all the parts you need to restore it quickly.
I'll be following your thread.
Hope it goes back together with-out any major hang ups for you.

Last edited:
See, it doesn't even look all that bad now. If it were me, and I were doing what you're doing anyway, I would do two things:

1. Get rid of the sunroof. I'd have somebody weld in a flat panel or something. The sunroof is a rattle-y pos.

2. Put sound deadener on the ceiling and on the floorboards.

See, it doesn't even look all that bad now. If it were me, and I were doing what you're doing anyway, I would do two things:

1. Get rid of the sunroof. I'd have somebody weld in a flat panel or something. The sunroof is a rattle-y pos.

2. Put sound deadener on the ceiling and on the floorboards.

I like the sunroof, and mine doesn't rattle, so it stays.

The shinny stuff on the floor is sound dead'n'ing that I put in the truck couple years ago.

I see you found the "Fire D". It sure will kill the smell and make it a nice bubble gum smell inside.
I hope you find all the parts you need to restore it quickly.
I'll be following your thread.
Hope it goes back together with-out any major hang ups for you.

Got carpet, seats, headliner (pain in the but to remove - which is why my bro. left it for me to remove) - all the pastic panels, and a bunch of other little stuff all loaded up this morning. Got to Boise last night and my brother had already put the hitch on the Passat, repacked the bearings with sythetic grease, and upgraded me from 8" to 12" rims. We changed the oil and air filter on the car and it was ready tod go.

He got some major boxes from a friend of his. which made the whole deal pack much nicer. Any guess how happy I am with brother right now?

The car '98 Passat, for a killer deal, w/ 26,800 miles, and the thing pulls the trailer great! 80mph, no wipping even though I drove into dust storms in Idaho, and only downshifting to 4th on the steepest hills in Utah and Wyoming and still averaging 24mph. Course, I still have 1050 miles and 15+ hours to go to get home, just deprograming from the road - got a late start today - then counting some sheep....
car trailer 1.jpg
car trailer 2.jpg

Subscribed!

Man, brothers are great!
Set you up real good:)

to make it easy for you i have a white 1997 locked in nj with a bad motor but everything else is fine make me a good offer and it could be yours cheep.... its listed for sale in the clasidfieds

Good Luck, thats a ton of work but a good opportunity, the sound deadener looks a lot less flammable than I would have though.

Good luck on the rebuild. That's a helluva task. Is your brother at Mtn Home AFB? I recognize those tags.

Good luck with the rebuild man! Now that its stripped, doesn't look all that bad......:cool:

I am in Mtn. Home but not on the base but the F15s buzz our house all the time and we love it! They don't run the stickers on the windshields anymore though, these were old ones.

I'm amazed we fit everything in. Those boxes were perfect. They were for some computer equipment on the jets. There is a whole interior plus one of the rear doors in those boxes.

It should be a lot nicer than it was as the interior in this rig was in beautiful shape and his leather was trashed. I much prefer the velour cloth interior to the leather of the 80s anyway. The 100 leather isn't much better but the seats are better at least.

The headliner is going to be a PITA, but not as bad as I initially thought. It is the 93 headliner so it is one piece and glued into place.

I don't know if he mentioned it but he is just going to swap in the whole rear doors as his were dented and we left the windows, door panels, speakers, etc... in tack. That should save some cleaning time.

It is hard to believe in less than a week's time I bought him a car, trailer and pulled the interior and cleaned it (minus the headliner which I saved for him). Everything just clicked and he flew in and got off OK.

One thing I will say is that the carpet padding sound deadening stuff is insanely flammable. After pulling the interior out I went to weld on a broken bolt and one spark hit some of the remaining padding and it was instantly ablaze. Like cottonwood seeds in Moab. Crazy flammable stuff! I would have thought it would have been more flame retardant. I can definitely see now how this fire started and spread so quickly.

He should end up with a darn nice wheeling truck and he ended up with a nice commuter car too.

Damn those pink panties are flammable!! :)

Eric, you're a good brother to set him up like that. I need to forward this to my two younger bros.

One thing I will say is that the carpet padding sound deadening stuff is insanely flammable. After pulling the interior out I went to weld on a broken bolt and one spark hit some of the remaining padding and it was instantly ablaze. Like cottonwood seeds in Moab. Crazy flammable stuff! I would have thought it would have been more flame retardant. I can definitely see now how this fire started and spread so quickly.

Makes me glad I don't have carpet in my truck any longer. :grinpimp:

Maybe he should consider the same.... :hmm:

Eric, you're a good brother to set him up like that. I need to forward this to my two younger bros.

Yes he is. I'd be careful though, I'm the younger brother, so your younger brother's might be looking for you to hook them up!

Makes me glad I don't have carpet in my truck any longer.

x2. I am very happy to have no carpet in the rig after seeing the destruction wrought by the flames here.

Good luck with the rebuild. I've got a lot of interior parts/switches/harness etc. Let me know if I can help.

Makes me glad I don't have carpet in my truck any longer. :grinpimp:

Maybe he should consider the same.... :hmm:

x2. I am very happy to have no carpet in the rig after seeing the destruction wrought by the flames here.

Good luck with the rebuild. I've got a lot of interior parts/switches/harness etc. Let me know if I can help.

Hate to burst everyones bubble - the carpet didn't start on fire. A little of the sound deadening on the inside of the wheel well, I believe is the inital source, then busted through the plastic side panel, the seat belt, then the seats and the headliner. The carpet was still in tact, well, except where the seat belt melted on it. If you want to get rid of what created the majority of the flames, better plan on sitting on a milk crate. Most of it was from the seats.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-...sh-lexus-burnt-up-now-what-2.html#post5818586

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/408614-white-trash-lexus-burnt-up-now-what.html#post5818581

Eric's right though, that 'jute' or whatever it's called that is on the floor after you pull the carpet up burns easy. I think what makes it ok is that it's smothered by the carpet.

Enough of the post mortem....

Next, I pull the driver's seat, the center console, and the front door panels, then it's clean clean clean, and clean some more. Weld up the wheel wells. Then it's all getting painted kaki - just paint on the top, and some sand Durabak over the floor - for under the carpet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom