When do you break out the chains? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BTW, I'm in California and haven't had a chance to get into the snow. The previous owner gave me a set of chains, and I don't know if I'll ever need them. I'd imagine the 100's do pretty well in the snow without.

Doubt you will ever need them unless you are wheeling in deeper snow. On the highway just drive past chain up areas and be glad you aren't putting chains on your Civic in 20 degree weather.
If you head to the mountains in the winter much just get a set of all season tires with the mountain snow symbol and you'll be fine.

get yourself a good set of a/t tires (these are bfg ko2s) and you're pretty much set. Picture below is up at Angeles Crest in Socal.
You can get an idea of the snow level on the fire roads. This wasn't even in any low gears, just 3hi

GMcAkHx.jpg

As long as there are not steep hills to climb you'll never NEED chains even for solid ice. Hills are another story, but I've not found anything I can't drive on with a good set of tires.

No. Do a search on here and you'll find that chains on the front don't fit or are too close to the UCAs.

Get a good AT, snowflake or snow tires and you should be good to go.

When I purchased my rig, it came with a second set of tires (Blizzaks) and those things went through all kinds of snow like it wasn't even there.

Hi all,

One can effectively use chains on mild tread tires while traversing severely muddy trails.

Regards,

Alan

Well I guess since this is the winching and recovery forum we're not talking about on road driving...

For deep snow and mud and ice, you'll find wheeling with chains makes all the difference in the world. Airing down can also help in these situations but you'll have to compare for yourself which is better or air down and tighten the chains lol. Even just chains on the rear will make a huge difference. Mud terrains hold no candle to a set of chains.

When do you put them on? Well for some they're a last resort and meant to get out. I've heard this a lot but I don't subscribe to that line of thought. Last time I went snow wheeling, they were on as soon as I hit the trail. If you're out alone just need to know your limitations and have a way to self recover. I've been stuck solo many times in the snow, a hi lift and a shovel are essential.

Thats my opinion and I'm certain some here will not agree with it lol.

1453295_10156456944010523_7338115539601917990_n.jpg

If snow wheeling don't go alone, last time i did my truck was stuck to the frame and I has to winch my self three time, snatch blocking once with my tires at 2 psi. If you do go alone put your chains on before you head up, I realized to late that i needed chains. To late as in already stuck with no was to get them on.

I have only used mine on the cruiser once, and that was going up and down some steep trails with pure ice on the tracks. It's hard to tell from the pics but that's all ice on the trail.

Even in deep snow I rely on flotation by airing down as I believe with chains they'll just keep digging until you're high centered.
But with there being so many different types of snow, it seems like you'll eventually get stuck, at least I do!:hillbilly:
Don't forget the shovel!

Cheers,
Salue

Do any of you use chains?

Yes.

If so, when do you use them?

Whenever they're needed. With chains on all four wheels, my 40 is almost unstoppable. I agree with the others who said it's better to put them on early if you think you might need them, at the trail head if you're going off-road.

I just bought a full set for mine, it was hard to believe that Amazon had them in stock to fit my 37s! Heading up to KY and OH next month for a week of adventures and do not want to have ice or deep snow stop the fun.

Well this is right up my alley!

Salue - I was on that trip with you, and my 60 is in your pics. Fun trip. To your point, on that steep icy section, we were all gripped due to the 1000 foot fall if we slipped off the trail!

To the OP questions...chains on a 4x4 Toyota truck turn it from capable to a tank. Unless you've done this, you won't understand. And as Alan mentioned, it works in mud as well. I like to go w/out chains untill I get stuck or tired of digging out, or am unable to go any further, or am terrified. Then I add chains. We have some deep heavy snow in the PNW mtns, and even with 35's and double chains, you can get stuck.

If on ice, don't be macho, put on chains. Salue agrees. My passenger wanted to get out of the truck. If in deep snow, it's fun to see what you can do w/out chains. But bring them with, and be prepared to put them on if you need.

Only the driver can say when he needs to have chains. Many of the recommendations posted above, I agree with, but...

I would suggest when you get into snow, you try using chains. Off road, they are magic and make a good 4X4 so much more. If on the pavement and there is chain control in place, drive for a while without chains to get a feel. When you can, install yours and see the difference.

We had a cabin in Big Bear that had 2 ways to get there. One was mostly flat, the other route was 15 minutes closer, but was mostly downhill to reach ours and about a dozen other cabins. Every winter we had people who decided not use chains slide and crash their way to the bottom. This road was nothing when wet or dry, just a gentle slope, but add snow and ice...It fools people, and when they realize, it's too late.

Go to the snow, drive slow, have fun and try the chains.

Take my advice with a ton of salt, as I am born, raised and live near the beach in SoCal! Not exactly snow country.

Snow that has been packed down into ice by other trucks is when I find them most useful. when you look at the track and see the pattern of the chain imprinted in the surface you know they have done their job.

Pete

Sorry. For some reason I thought this was the 100 series section when I answered.

By all mean - whenever you need them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom