WHATS everyone been doing?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm getting really good at changing diapers. And my sewing skills are getting better.

Maybe I should get checked for low T?:confused:

Welcome to my world. Daddy daycare is my 3rd job...

The only thing I got done in the last 3 months is taking out the true-trac l/s in the rear of the Ramcharger and putting in a Lunchbox Locker.

Very pleased with the results.

Otherwise I've had to work on DD rigs, fix broken things around the house and do odd jobs for all my friends who want me to show them how to do Dana gear setups and etc.

Maybe after I retire, I will have the time to put on all the parts I have accumulated in the last 3 years trying to fix this pig up.

Of course, by then we will be driving jet powered air cars and be able to get all of our daily nutrition in one little green pill...

Wonder if they will name it Soylent Green?:popcorn::popcorn:

Lee,
I've done some body work... What's going on??

I've just got analysis paralysis... I am unsure how/where to start... so I just don't do anything.

I need to straighten both rocker panels where I did a poor job removing the old floor panels. I also have a bit of an issue where I welded the patch panels to the lower rear quarters. I can feel a bit of a high spot at the weld seam and am not sure how to go about shrinking the steel.

Big present was a new camera! My old 20D body finally kicked the bucket about a year ago and have been wanting something new. Over Thanksgiving I was able to find an EOS-M Kit for less than $300 shipped so that was my big gift... Great little camera so far!

Just curious, how did your 20D die? What failed? I picked up a used 7D and a used T3i, so my 20D has become the camping/scout event camera. It has a couple of sticky buttons from some cobbler I dropped on it and the flash won't always pop up, but otherwise it's still going strong.

I've just got analysis paralysis... I am unsure how/where to start... so I just don't do anything.

That's how I got so slowed down on my 55 project that I managed to put another 125k miles on my XJ that needs work, and then picked up this '96 FZJ80 that needs work....

Bought the '96 :bounce:, put a few hundred miles on it, and took my cousins from San Diego on a tour of the area in it. Cleared the airbag fault, still have an airbag fault. Troubleshot the DS courtesy lamp, found the corroded wires in the kick panel, found the windshield leak that caused the corroded wires in the kick panel. Removed the old Motorola phone system and the 8 miles of wire that came with it. Spent a few hours on 'mud researching this and that.

I need to straighten both rocker panels where I did a poor job removing the old floor panels. I also have a bit of an issue where I welded the patch panels to the lower rear quarters. I can feel a bit of a high spot at the weld seam and am not sure how to go about shrinking the steel.

HAMMER!! ;)
Then bondo!!

Sounds like everyone had a great Christmas.

Sorry to hear about your surgery Chicago, I hope that it goes well and you recover quickly.

I bought the fiancee a 2004 100 series, she's happy with it and I like it too.

A week later, bought myself a 1979 FJ40. I'm happy with that too, well, working out a few bugs, but it's nice and pretty much done. Been down the path of building them and I didn't feel like going there again. I'll post some pictures of the pair sometime soon. Going to teach the fiancee how to drive a stick shift in it.

Hoping I can make it to a meeting sometime in the near future.

Take care until then and hope everyone has a great 2014.

Jon

Beater fj40 getting new quarter panels

image-2105869954.jpg

image-2881029008.jpg

image-1385336462.jpg

Nice work ray!!
Are those skins or did you cut me out and weld in new panels??

made the panels today, started with a sheet of 18 ga, made a pattern, bent the corner with a oxygen bottle and a wood jig clamped to the bottle.. was the right diameter, turned out nice, had to make a wood pattern for the wheel well, and bend the lip into the wood to match the fender flairs, still have to cut out the old sheet metal and weld them in, and I have enough of the sheet of 18ga left for two more.. may try a stock set next, wasn't that hard and I didn't even burn up a jigsaw blade... much nicer than trying to straighten 40 years old quarters,, should have done this from the start...

overall it was a lot easier than I thought....

next is to cut off the rockers and weld in the 2x3 I got with the 18ga, then redo the rear spring hangers...

ohh I made a mount for the summit aluminum radiator the other day I will post some pix of that when I put it back in....

Last edited:
Beater fj40 getting new quarter panels

That looks very familiar and was not an easy project to get everything to line back up and rear doors to fit along with the top! Looks like you had no problem.

That looks very familiar and was not an easy project to get everything to line back up and rear doors to fit along with the top! Looks like you had no problem.

I haven't welded them in yet... :D:D:D:D we will see.

Just curious, how did your 20D die? What failed? I picked up a used 7D and a used T3i, so my 20D has become the camping/scout event camera. It has a couple of sticky buttons from some cobbler I dropped on it and the flash won't always pop up, but otherwise it's still going strong.

Logic board finally gave out and so now it will either give me an ERR99 code (vague code) or the battery will read as full and then after one or two shots it will show empty and the camera shuts down. I have talked with Canon and it is a common issue once the body starts getting older.

The pop-up is an issue I had and it ended up being a slight mis-alignment of of the pop-up arms. Bent them slightly and it has worked flawlessly since. Really do miss it. Also there is a "alcohol" fix that you can do that will probably help with the sticky buttons.

Finally got around to installing the Smittybilt console last night, two holes in the rear to mount in the stock holes. Will eventually drill and tap holes in the front cross member but I need to find a good, reasonably priced metric tap/die set first.

I will get to take care of a couple things this coming weekend since I have Monday off for the Holiday and the wife is out of town for a conference.
- replace rear hatch struts
- oil change (adding MMO to the mix)
- check tranny/t-case fluid (when the tranny is cold it can be hard to shift into 2nd)
- if there is enough time I will attempt the lower tailgate replacement that I bought of FinnyFam

Welding sheet metal takes forever,

image-4137902833.jpg

ok it was 4hrs to fit it, weld it in and grind it off.. it felt like forever..

weld, move and inch weld, move and inch weld blow a hole cuss, move weld again....

still have to trim the bottom and finish the back...

I was agreeing it takes forever. I think I cuss more than I move an inch. If be more than happy to trade with ya the wiring is killing me. It's to the point that I just say hope I don't need that one. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom