What does this sign mean? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, an obvious newbie question from an admitted newb.

I've been riding my new bike a lot recently and several times when I pass fellow sportbikers going the opposite direction they have leaned down and pointed at the ground with their left arm, possibly extending two fingers.

At first thought this was a gesture indicating a hazard in the road ahead (like the group riding sign) but I have seen no such hazard in any case.

I'm guessing it may be some sort of greeting or similar. Possibly something to be reciprocated. Can anyone please enlighten a poor newb? :eek:

What are some of the other "symbols".......(correct me if wrong)...like if you see a bike/biker on the side of the road with a helmet on the ground it means the bike is down and needs a tow.

Obviously you have to watch out for something shady but my wife mentioned this in addition to watch the biker wave.

Thanks.

As usual, a wealth of information is to be found once you know what to call it - Bike Wave or Biker Salute

Wow. The author of that article is a hard core nerd.

It's just a wave. I don't hold out six fingers because I have a six cylinder bike. I just wave. Mostly just hold my hand out to the side flat.

I also don't get butt hurt when I don't get a wave back. I occasionally don't wave because I just miss the other bike until it's too late, or I have to use that hand, or I just don't feel like it. It doesn't mean I don't recognize some other brand.

I always stop for a bike on the side of the road. I have never walked more than a dozen steps from my bike without somebody stopping.

I circle a finger in the air to signal for speed traps. Kind of mimics the flashing lights. Not everyone gets it, those that do, I imagine are grateful.

Helment on the ground means broken bike. That is a new one on me. I alway prefer the old:cheers: as I roll by.

Wow. The author of that article is a hard core nerd.

It's just a wave. I don't hold out six fingers because I have a six cylinder bike. I just wave. Mostly just hold my hand out to the side flat.

I also don't get butt hurt when I don't get a wave back. I occasionally don't wave because I just miss the other bike until it's too late, or I have to use that hand, or I just don't feel like it. It doesn't mean I don't recognize some other brand.

I always stop for a bike on the side of the road. I have never walked more than a dozen steps from my bike without somebody stopping.

No s***. This is like the dude here on MUD who wanted to create a special Land Cruiser Wave.

But look at the pic of the author's wife. Dude is obviously a nerd.

This is how I do it. Seems pretty universal in NorCal between sportbikers.

As your riding by, if a rider is stopped, you give a thumbs up followed by a thumbs down. If they give an up, they're good, you can ride on by. Maybe they're on the phone or help is already coming. Thumbs down means they could use help for whatever reason.

Helmet tap. Police ahead. Take one hand (it doesn't matter) and tap the top of your helmet at a medium pace twice or so and if the situation permits a direction. Or you could down the knife hand palm down from shoulder height to knee level to signal road hazard or police or to simply stop being stupid.

Wheelie. That means the person doing so isn't confident enough in themselves and feels the need to try to show off, or just has a small penis.

I ride a sport bike, and here in PA it's rare to get a wave from someone on a Harley. They have a certain image to uphold I guess. I was in TN in May, Tail of the Dragon and all that, it seems like everyone down there waves, it doesn't matter what you ride. I wave to scooters if they initiate. A lot of guys around here use their toes to point out road hazards, and helmet tap for cops.

I find it is often hard to tell an oncoming big scooter from a small bike like a Ninja 250R ( no offense to the new Ninja 250's). I can't imagine how the Harley riders could discern an oncoming Harley from the many Japanese clones at 45 or 55+ mph. I bet they wave at some other bikes by accident or snub some Harleys just to be safe.

forgive the cut-and-paste

TOP 10 REASONS WHY HARLEY RIDERS DON’T WAVE BACK:

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered that fine print in owner’s manual and realized that H-D is partially owned by Honda.
3. Can’t tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on helmet spike.
1. They’re too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

TOP TEN REASONS WHY GOLDWING RIDERS DON’T WAVE BACK:

10. Wasn’t sure whether other riders was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just fin ished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature, and satellite navigation system.
1. Couldn’t find the “auto wave back” button on dashboard.

TOP 10 REASONS CROTCHROCKETS DON’T WAVE BACK:

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they’re supposed to.
9. They’re going too fast to have enough time to register the movement and respond.
8. You weren’t wearing bright enough gear.
7. If they stick their arm out going that fast, they’ll rip it out of the socket.
6. They’re too occupied with trying to get rid of chicken strips.
5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don’t want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.
4. Their skin tight-kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
2. It’s too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flops back on.

TOP 10 REASONS WHY BMW RIDERS DON’T WAVE BACK:

10. New Aerostitch suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered “bad form”.
8. Your bike isn’t weird eno ugh looking to justify acknowledgement.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day ride on a stock “comfort” seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to Ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
5. I'm an Iron Butt rider and you’re not!
4. Wires from Gerbings are too short.
3. You’re not riding the “right kind” of BMW.
2. You haven’t been properly introduced.
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

forgive the cut-and-paste

TOP 10 REASONS WHY HARLEY RIDERS DON’T WAVE BACK:

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered that fine print in owner’s manual and realized that H-D is partially owned by Honda.
3. Can’t tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on helmet spike.
1. They’re too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

TOP TEN REASONS WHY GOLDWING RIDERS DON’T WAVE BACK:

10. Wasn’t sure whether other riders was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just fin ished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature, and satellite navigation system.
1. Couldn’t find the “auto wave back” button on dashboard.

TOP 10 REASONS CROTCHROCKETS DON’T WAVE BACK:

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they’re supposed to.
9. They’re going too fast to have enough time to register the movement and respond.
8. You weren’t wearing bright enough gear.
7. If they stick their arm out going that fast, they’ll rip it out of the socket.
6. They’re too occupied with trying to get rid of chicken strips.
5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don’t want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.
4. Their skin tight-kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
2. It’s too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flops back on.

TOP 10 REASONS WHY BMW RIDERS DON’T WAVE BACK:

10. New Aerostitch suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered “bad form”.
8. Your bike isn’t weird eno ugh looking to justify acknowledgement.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day ride on a stock “comfort” seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to Ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
5. I'm an Iron Butt rider and you’re not!
4. Wires from Gerbings are too short.
3. You’re not riding the “right kind” of BMW.
2. You haven’t been properly introduced.
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

LOL!! Where did you find this? This is funny.
I do ride a Harley, but I`m not the typical Harley rider, most Harley riders make me laugh.
They get a Harley, and then they think they`re an instant bada**, we have quit a few at my work.

Here is a funny story.

My buddy and I, were here in downtown Denver riding some rental Harleys around. Some guy pulled up between us at a stop light, I`m thinking, wtf is this guy doing, we`re already riding two abreast.

He was riding on his new whatever Harley it was, all stock, straight from the show room floor with his white t-shirt on, looks like he just bought it from walmart that night, and a black leather vest over his t-shirt.

My buddy and I, we`re riding in jeans, casual lite hiker shoes, and I was wearing a Landcruiser t-shirt, my buddy was wearing a Teamster t-shirt.

So he asked, Where is the party at? We said, I don`t know, then he said, can I ride around with you guys, we said if you want.

So he followed us for a bit, then we went and stopped by a convenient store, and he was talking to us about our Harleys, he asked us where we got them, I told him they were rentals, and he said, cool, have a nice night and left.
My buddy and I just started laughing that he left because we were on rentals trying them out, what a loser!
We were just test riding some differnet Harleys for the hell of it.

This is my Harley, not the typical, except for the pipes, and yes they are as loud as you can get them, just like Hotrod cars on the street.
This pic was taken at the Royal Gorge Bridge last year at my Wedding day. I also get crap from people because I have my custom mirrors under my handlebars, and I have drag bars on a FLH type Harley, I laugh at them all, this is the USA, I thought we had FREEDOM HERE? LOL!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
i must be some kinda priss, but i'd never lay my hemet on the ground/pavement. and that goes for my riding clothing as well. for what it's worth, i find that the local harley riders rarely wave back( i ride an honda st1100) but when traveling cross country everyone waves...it must be the brotherhood of the open road thing

Last edited:
I laugh at them all, this is the USA, I thought we had FREEDOM HERE? LOL!!!!!!!!!

Good article in the AMA magazine this month about the freedom some feel they need to make obnoxious amounts of noise. Most of us would rather have the freedom to ride anywhere we want.

The time is coming soon when we're not going to be able to have both.

Good article in the AMA magazine this month about the freedom some feel they need to make obnoxious amounts of noise. Most of us would rather have the freedom to ride anywhere we want.

The time is coming soon when we're not going to be able to have both.
Loud motorcycles are those that ride them are obnoxious and inconsiderate. They roar up and down in packs in front of my house and we are unable to even talk to one another.

I give 'em the bird.

They scare our horses and dogs.

Loud motorcycles are those that ride them are obnoxious and inconsiderate. They roar up and down in packs in front of my house and we are unable to even talk to one another.

I give 'em the bird.

They scare our horses and dogs.
Yep, some guys are just aholes with the loud pipes, but I`m not one of them. You can still ride a loud bike respectfully. We have a lot of strict pipe laws here in Denver and other surrounding citys, and after 8 years with my loud pipes, I have never been pulled over, and I do ride about 10k miles a year.

I drive trucks here in Denver, and there has been a few times I went to change lanes or some other traffic maneuver and almost didn`t see the motorcycle by me, they were to quiet. Now if I could of heard them but no see them, I would of waited to do my traffic maneuver.
When I road my other motorcycles, with real quiet pipes on, I had more problems on the road than with my loud bikes.
My Loud pipes have saved my butt a few times on the road here in Denver.

Myrtle Beach SC just passed a number of laws to stop the three major motorcycle rallies there. They are the only place in SC with helmet laws and have new noise ordinances aimed directly at loud pipes. They are giving up millions of dollars because people are sick and tired of loud bikes and loud bikers.

Up until now only neighborhoods had banned my bike because of loud pipes on others' bikes, now a whole town doesn't want me to go there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom