What comes close? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just checked, and Lexus of Canada sells the LX 570. The LX 570 is the Landcruiser 200. The only difference is the LX doesn't have KDSS, it has AHC instead. You also get a nicer interior. It is more expensive, but for the price you paid for and could probably sell your LC 200 in the caribbean you could easily purchase an LX. You can definitely haul a family with it, and it's actually better at hauling a boat than the LC 200. And if you need better trail capability, you can put the TRD wheels on her and get more rubber under your feet.

My brother has a new 4Runner, and while it really is a mini LC 200, it's still not quite there.

I guess I can speak to this because I have both the '08 LC200 and a '10 4Runner Limited 4x4.

Although the 4Runner is stock (and will stay that way), they are awesome vehicles. The V6 is very smooth and gets great gas mileage (wife driving = 20MPG). I really love the new 4Runners!

I'd seriously look into a Trail Edition if you plan to wheel. If not, the Limited. They are very different vehicles actually as the Limited has XREAS suspension (look it up) and full time 4WD like the LC (with a center diff). If I was ever going to take the 4Rummer out, I would have opted for the Trail Edition, however LOVE the XREAS suspension of the Limited. It performs fantastically on the highway.

As they are going to be very common vehicles, parts will be galore and can be made into a very capable offroading vehicle.

Whoever recommended Jeep should read the latest J.D. Power Dependability Study released last month:
J.D. Power and Associates

Where do you find Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler crap? At the bottom. Land Rover? At the bottom. There's a reason for that! Stick to the vehicles in the top half of that list and you'll be safe!

Last edited:
You can definitely haul a family with it, and it's actually better at hauling a boat than the LC 200.

If I'm not mistaken the Lexus LX570 tow capacity is 1200 lbs less than the LC200, so I'm not sure if this is fully accurate. Perhaps with lighter loads the AHC would give it a better ride??

LC200 tow 8200 lbs
Lexux LX570 7000 lbs

If your budget is limited, a low mile Mitsubishi Montero is a reliable choice that runs fairly well in the rough stuff.

I was just looking for a side-by-side pic on my computer, but couldn't find any.

This is the best I found. The 4Runner is my wife's. If you want better side-by-side pics I can take them.
IMG_0055.jpg

JBHorne,
Many thanks for your detailed explanation, much appreciated and makes plenty sense.
Actually I'm very tempted with the 4Runner, I guess my options will likely be;
A) A certified/used 2010 200LC from the US.
B) A certified/used 2010 GX460
C) A brand new 4Runner; Trail or Limited.

Wheeling may not be top priority at first but with the option available it may become but comfort is important, I guess all three are of the same level of reliability but safety maybe an issue with the smaller SUVs.
The thing is I'm not sure if there are special considerations for importing used vehicles from the US or not but I'll find out.
What do you think of the grading?
MD.

MD, maybe of some consideration... all the vehicles on your list are made in Japan and call for a 6.1% duty if importing from the US. Toyota vehicles like the Tacoma and Tundra/Sequoia are "made" in the US and therefore no duty is required (NAFTA).

MD, maybe of some consideration... all the vehicles on your list are made in Japan and call for a 6.1% duty if importing from the US. Toyota vehicles like the Tacoma and Tundra/Sequoia are "made" in the US and therefore no duty is required (NAFTA).
Hoser,
Yes, you are right, something to consider, thanks.
I assume the Japanese made Toyotas sold in Canada would also incur this increase not just the ones imported from The US.
Is the 4Runner made in Japan too?
I think a certified/used 2010LC's lower price from the US can make up for the extra import duty increase..
MD.

JBHorne,
A) A certified/used 2010 200LC from the US.
B) A certified/used 2010 GX460
C) A brand new 4Runner; Trail or Limited.

Safety would be a toss up between them. They would all have roughly the same robust safety features. Here would be 2 differences:

Rollover risk: (I don't know the math on calculating rollover risk, but vehicle width and ground clearance are 2 very important factors).

-The Lexus GX is the lowest with 8" of ground clearance. However it is also the thinnest.
-The LC200 has 8.9" and the widest stance.
-The 4Runner Limited and Trail have a ground clearance of 9.6"

Side Impact based on vehicle width. (There is much more to side impact protection than just a vehicles size, however since all 3 vehicles have almost identical safety systems...)

-Lexus GX 74" wide
-4Runner 75.8" wide
-LC200 77.6" wide

So the LC200 would most likely have the advantage with Side Impact. The LexusGX may win with Rollover, but because it's the thinnest I don't really know. The LC200 seems like a good middle ground with Rollover risk because of it's wide stance. Unfortunately the NHTSA does not test the Lexus GX or the LC200. Here is the rating for the 2010 4Runner: http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Sho...0-2010+Vehicles/Vehicle-Detail?vehicleId=5775

You can see it's great, except for rollover (as with all SUV's). I would imagine the LexusGX and LC200 would get 3.5 stars for rollover risk, only slightly better than the 4Runner. If you want 4 stars you'd have to get a Toyota Highlander, 5 stars a Toyota Camry. Or, as a realistic option there is the Lexus LX which has AHC that lowers and inch at high speeds and reduces center of gravity. It's conjecture but that might get 4 stars as well.

As a note, the LexusGX and Toyota 4Runner where redesigned in 2010. As you know the LC200's where introduced in 2008. So you could keep an eye out for a used LC back to 2008. The 2008-2009 LC200's that I've seen have been pristine. I've seen pricing around 55k.

Last edited:
Nobody mentions the $118,000 Range Rover?(back off, just kidding) Denver Auto Show last weekend and
can you all believe that is what they go for?

aka Land Rover

Safety would be a toss up between them. They would all have roughly the same robust safety features. Here would be 2 differences:

Rollover risk: (I don't know the math on calculating rollover risk, but vehicle width and ground clearance are 2 very important factors).

-The Lexus GX is the lowest with 8" of ground clearance. However it is also the thinnest.
-The LC200 has 8.9" and the widest stance.
-The 4Runner Limited and Trail have a ground clearance of 9.6"

Side Impact based on vehicle width. (There is much more to side impact protection than just a vehicles size, however since all 3 vehicles have almost identical safety systems...)

-Lexus GX 74" wide
-4Runner 75.8" wide
-LC200 77.6" wide

So the LC200 would most likely have the advantage with Side Impact. The LexusGX may win with Rollover, but because it's the thinnest I don't really know. The LC200 seems like a good middle ground with Rollover risk because of it's wide stance. Unfortunately the NHTSA does not test the Lexus GX or the LC200. Here is the rating for the 2010 4Runner: 2010 Toyota 4Runner 4-DR. w/SAB | Safercar -- NHTSA

You can see it's great, except for rollover (as with all SUV's). I would imagine the LexusGX and LC200 would get 3.5 stars for rollover risk, only slightly better than the 4Runner. If you want 4 stars you'd have to get a Toyota Highlander, 5 stars a Toyota Camry. Or, as a realistic option there is the Lexus LX which has AHC that lowers and inch at high speeds and reduces center of gravity. It's conjecture but that might get 4 stars as well.

As a note, the LexusGX and Toyota 4Runner where redesigned in 2010. As you know the LC200's where introduced in 2008. So you could keep an eye out for a used LC back to 2008. The 2008-2009 LC200's that I've seen have been pristine. I've seen pricing around 55k.

Hi Patrick,

Makes sense, although it is surprising to know that there is only 2" difference in width between the LC and 4Runner, visually they are very different.

Is autotrader.com or (.ca) a good website to start with or do you rather a Toyota dealership to be on the safe side?

I will be living in the suburb off of Toronto so I assume it makes sense to start looking for an
LC200 in the state of New York, correct?

Not a very smart question in this forum but for general use, some light off roading and for maximum resale value, what would you guys go for of these two (similar price range);

A brand new 4Runner?
Or a 2010 (or any used) LC200?

A Range Rover would be a great 4WD if it actually works ;)

Thanks,
MD.

You can pick up a new 4Runner or Sequoia at Toyota Downtown Toronto. That might be the easiest to deal with considering all the other moving details you have to worry about. It might be a headache and costly trying to work out getting an LC from Upstate NY.

That being said, Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse NY is excellent LC country with all the snow they get. Detroit isn't far either and also a possible shopping place. I don't even know if a US warranty is valid in Canada, something to look into. A 2010 should still be under a "Toyota CPO" or Certified Pre Owned, this is the only warranty to get. Although do we really need warranties on these???

Autotrader or Cars.com are good places to find vehicles. Dealers use these sights more so than private sellers. For private sales check out Craigslist, there is a great app below for scouring entire states for a specific vehicle on Craigslist.
States
Here is Toronto Craigslist, not much in the way of LC's for sale.
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/

Financially, both these trucks really hold their value. The new 4Runner would loose a bit of value once it leaves the lot. A US LC200 might cost you in transfer fees. Either way you take the initial hit but they are going to be a good value.

I wouldn't rule out the Sequoia just yet, check it out in person when you get there. The Platinum version is fairly lux.

Last edited:
Here are some Sequoia Platinum interior pics. It's a bit American "Super Size Me" but the River Rock leather color is pretty sweet:
toyota_sequoia_platinum+interior_view.jpg
toyota-sequoia-platinum-interior-red-rock.jpg

Here are some Sequoia Platinum interior pics. It's a bit American "Super Size Me" but the River Rock leather color is pretty sweet:
Thanks Patrick,
No pics, please reviwe.
MD.

very plastic appearing dash...big reason i didn't want a tundra/sequoia. but i have seen that leather in person and agree that it is VERY nice.

The Sequoia interior is much better than the other behemoth SUV interiors, but your right, the fit and finish doesn't compare to an LC interior. For 30k less you've got to use more plastic.

Hi Patrick,

Makes sense, although it is surprising to know that there is only 2" difference in width between the LC and 4Runner, visually they are very different.

Is autotrader.com or (.ca) a good website to start with or do you rather a Toyota dealership to be on the safe side?

I will be living in the suburb off of Toronto so I assume it makes sense to start looking for an
LC200 in the state of New York, correct?

Not a very smart question in this forum but for general use, some light off roading and for maximum resale value, what would you guys go for of these two (similar price range);

A brand new 4Runner?
Or a 2010 (or any used) LC200?

A Range Rover would be a great 4WD if it actually works ;)

Thanks,
MD.

When I was looking for a 200 to import to Canada I used this site,Car Prices & Car Value - DriverSide. Click on "Cars for sale" and when I used it I got lots of hits and found a new on lot '08 the dealer sold to me direct.
As far as the new V6 4Runner goes, I haven't heard any good reviews. I would be looking at a LX570 before a 4Runner.

Here's how I see it:

1) Do you only need light offroading capabilities?
2) Do you need 8 seats?
3) Are you OK with a V6?
4) Do you need to tow something heavy?

If you can answer these questions, I'd highly look at the new 4Runner! It's one hell of a vehicle. In fact, the 4Runner has more leg room than the LC (I'm 6'1") and is also far more comfortable on the highway than my LC. The limited's suspension is pretty good for highway use.

if the new 4runner were available when i was looking, i might have bought it instead. it is a lot of fine engineering for the money.

but as a long term investment, the LC is amazing: i love it MORE now than when i bought it. i don't feel that way about any other vehicle i have owned (including my old 4runner).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom