waterproofing leather boots ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have you ever tried boots with the new insulations that keep insulating when damp or wet? I have a pair of North Face Baltoro HV 400s that I find to be excellent for all day wearing in the winter. My feet sweat like crazy even in extreme cold. Until the Baltoros I would have to switch boots and socks every 3 to 4 hours even when wearing unsealed leather boots. Anyways, I can now wear the Baltoro HVs 16+ hours and my feet are still warm at the end of the day. My socks are soaked and I have to use a fan to blow drying air into the boots so they are dry for the next day.:rolleyes:

Sounds like high maintainance boots...I thought thats what wifes where for...?

I see that now (I am in Canada) I will give it a try. It looks like they have both Silicon (which I don't want) and their proprietary "LP" which contains "no harmful silicons" ... I think I will order some of that...btw .. how is it on the leather seats? Has anyone tried that application I wonder?

thanks!!

I have used it on my saddle and like the way it worked out very much!

Sounds like high maintainance boots...I thought thats what wifes where for...?

:confused: Thread revival after 2.5 years with this? WTF?

The paste products are the best, as they actually work into the leather, instead of just coating the outside.
Most leather boots are sanded and have a natural resistance to begin with, spraying on or wiping on a liquid will usually result in a portion of that liquid running off or being wiped off, but a product such as SnoSeal can be worked into the leather.

If your not concerned with the "looks" of your boots, try roughing up the surface with a fine/medium grit sandpaper to get rid of slick surface and then use your product of choice.

I have an old pair of Reichle Montanas that i bought back in 1991, they've been through one resole, but the leather has always been conditioned with SnoSeal and 19 years later they are still going strong!

I have used sno-seal for years without any negative effects or results. I always clean my boots well before application and make sure they are dry before applying it. As noted above, work the creases, crevases, around the eyelets and tongue well. Don't forget the seams if your have a welted sole. I actually wore a pair of old Raichle mountaineering boots out from the inside out years ago through the miles I logged in them. Everytime I would lace them up it was like an old familar friend saying "hello" again.

To help with the stickiness and mess, try using a some surgical gloves to make for a quick and easy clean up after applying whatever product you go with. We always keep a box of them in the house for chopping hot chiles, to polishing dress shoes, to picking up the logs our dog likes to drop in the back yard.

Snowseal. It's a fall ritual around our house. All the hiking boots get lined up in the kitchen. Oven set to 170 while you pull laces and brush out dirt and dust. Oven gets shut off (important step) and put a pair in for 10 minutes. Pull the pair out and reset the oven with a new pair. Smear in the Snowseal on both boots, then set aside to dry. Get another pair out of the oven and continue until done. I use an old toothbrush to jam Snowseal into welt of boot as my fingers can't get in there.

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom