Want to install dashcam, best place to get 12V ignition source? Also, where to route wire. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to install a dashcam in my 2014 LC. I have a hard wire kit that takes in 12V in and steps the voltage down to 5V DC at 1.5Amps for the Mini USB at the back of the camera.

What's the closest 12V Ignition I can tap into? Also, I planned on routing the wire above the headliner and down the pillar. But, I've never had a vehicle with side curtain airbags. Is that pretty straight forward to remove? Thanks.

The headliner has a 12v tap. Just work around the side curtain airbags, and you should be fine.

You could always pick up 12v ign and ground at your rear view mirror. I assume you would also mount your dash cam in this area

What's the best dash cam?

I have been using a Mobius camera for the past two years - mounted near the rear view mirror. I run a 10 ft cable down the A-pillar to the cig lighter. I get great footage, in HD, and the camera has loop recording. Cheap (under $150) setup, no splicing wires and no issues to date. I will post pics and links in the next few days.

Last edited:
Where in the headliner is the 12V wire to tap? I assume there's quite a few up there. Also, what color is it?/QUOTE]

You can pull the wiring diagrams from the GSIC. That's how I determined that the solid green wires to most of the dash buttons are used the turn the backlights on/off. They are pretty well marked once you find the diagram you want.

Fuse box is in the lower dash above and to the left of the brake pedal. Just remove the panel above the pedals, which is easy. I ran the cable in the roof line and down the A-pillar, into the dash, into the fuse box. I use a Thinkware F770 with the hardwiring cable. I've enjoyed this one, so I will eventually install the rear camera as well.

Fuse box is in the lower dash above and to the left of the brake pedal. Just remove the panel above the pedals, which is easy. I ran the cable in the roof line and down the A-pillar, into the dash, into the fuse box. I use a Thinkware F770 with the hardwiring cable. I've enjoyed this one, so I will eventually install the rear camera as well.

Any pics of the routing? And any concern w/side airbag interference? I'm looking to do the same install front & rear.

This is what I did too. There's several open fuse positions in that lower fuse box. Add a hardwire fuse tap kit from there. Run the wire up the a-pillow which is cake to do.

Remove the lower dash cover above the pedals, few push tabs and 2x screws. Find the tiny fuse box closer to the door of the car. Open and pick any open fuse position. Use plug and play adapter from kit. May need to leave fuse cover open or cut opening to accommodate fuse adapter.

Run wire to side of the dash. The side of dash is a cap and can be pulled off easily, just clips. Continue and sneak the wire up to the a piller under the door seal. Then use a thin pry tool or credit card and push the wire under the a-piller and roof liner. Should be a 10 minute install.

I used this kit and it had the right size fuse adapter to pickup power from an open fuse position.

Amazon Link
Amazon product ASIN B072J3L2JN

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom