Upper Peninsula Overland 2010 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TJDIV

UP of MI.
Threads
Website
www.roamwherever.com
Kristian just finished up our U.P. Overland 2010 Thread up on the U.P. Overland Forum. Please check it out. I've copied here for easy viewing ;)

Upper Peninsula Overland 2010- August 10-15

629050902_ViAm2-M.jpg

Going into its 3rd year, the annual Upper Peninsula Overland trip is continuing to grow and evolve. This year's trip will take us through more new terrain with a focus on the western UP. We have run through many new ideas of how to structure and organize the event, and feel we have come up with a great way to balance the continued growth of the event with the smaller, grassroots feel that past attendees have valued. Again, the trip will be family friendly with a good mix of adventure, sightseeing, teamwork, fireside storytelling, as well as some new activities and challenges.

The UP Overland trip is designed to accommodate most stock 4wd vehicles with careful driving and line choice. Part of the fun of the trip is the challenge of making a comfortable and useable vehicle setup for 6 days of nonstop overland travel. There are some creative solutions that other members have come up with to solve some of the day to day issues associated with living out of a vehicle in a manner such as this. There will be more challenging sections along the way. Typically the tougher sections are optional or there is a bypass that allows the stock vehicles passage but yields some challenge for the more capable vehicles. In the past we've had everything from the Eco Roamer to a mostly stock AMC Eagle covering the full spectrum of 4wd vehicles in between.

The dates will be August 10th through the 15th. The route is still being finalized as of this writing but will be a point to point trip like last year. We will continue to post updates to the route and activities over the course of the spring and summer so keep checking the U.P. Overland Website as well as our forum for ongoing discussions regarding the trip and other UP activities (on our forum).

The terrain in the western Upper Peninsula will be a mix of dirt roads and trails that will blend some muddy surfaces with rock, roots, and even some sand. Expect a little bit of everything. We will be crossing through an area rich in mining history, skiing history, and natural wonders such as abundant waterfalls and the rugged terrain of the Porcupine Mountains. Our campsites will vary in settings but plan on one great beach campsite. Due to the nature of rustic/disperse camping on public lands it will be important for attendees to have adequate fresh water and waste containment. Plan on being self contained and supported for several days at a time. The route will take us through towns and places for supplies and fuel but not necessarily daily. More specific details will emerge in the updates prior to the trip.
We are deliberately leaving the description of the route vague this year in an effort to build a bit more suspense and not let the surprises we have in store for you out of the bag. I will state this- one of the views/vantage points on the route will FAR surpass any vista you have ever experienced in the Midwest.

We will adhere to Tread Lightly! principles for this trek so if you are not familiar with them, please visit Tread Lightly and familiarize yourself with their code of conduct. For me, the main mission of the UP Overland trips is to showcase and share some of the unknown and rarely seen treasures of this region and enjoy it in a responsible manner.

As was the case last year, there will be no fee for the trip. However, we have a paypal account setup if attendees wish to contribute funds that will be used to offset our personal expenses for organizing and scouting the trip. Any amount is greatly appreciated. paypal@upoverland.org
What to bring:

Camping Gear:
-Tent or other means for sleeping quarters
-All cooking supplies and equipment to be self sufficient
-Waste disposal/storage: garbage bags for your refuse and any trash found along the route, equipment for hauling human waste (ie. Portable toilet or waste bag methods)
-Water or water filtration system. There will be plenty of opportunities to acquire drinking water but a good storage container is recommended. There are numerous water sources including Lake Superior that can be used for filtering water as well.
-Extra clothing- the weather can be unpredictable so be prepared for hot, cold (think 40's at night possibly), and wet weather.
-Binoculars, with all of the wildlife and panoramic views on this route this will be an often used item.
-Bug spray- although August is typically drier with less bugs then earlier in the summer, there still is a chance that mosquitoes, sand flies, black flies, horse flies, and ticks could be bad. Tiki torches are also nice for around the campsite to ward off the uninvited guests. Hopefully these items won't be needed.
-Machete or hatchet- these come in handy for gathering firewood or coming across the inevitable downed tree or limbs across the route.
-Sunscreen

Vehicle Items Needed:
-Tow strap and recovery points (D shackles are great) front and rear for vehicle extrications
-Jumper cables or jump box
-Shovel
-Spill kit
-Hand tools for repairs and knowledge of your vehicle and basic repairs
-Good tires- route will see mud, pavement, rock, and sand so make sure your tires are up for the challenge
-Tune up- not really an item but a good idea. Especially check for fluid leaks as we will be crossing wetlands and sensitive ecosystems

Additional recommended vehicle items:
-GPS
-CB- we use these for communicating car to car in the convoy and relaying instructions and directions. It’s a great way to know what is going on, where we are going, and to hear some informational bits along the way.
-Hi Lift
-Tarp or awning for protection from the elements

Upper Peninsula Overland has gone through some changes this year. We have registered as an LLC and are positioning the organization as a way to promote the Upper Peninsula's incredible natural resources and recreational opportunities. We will be offering custom designed, guided trips that will incorporate activities such as 4wd overlanding, mountain biking, kayaking, canoeing, hiking, photography tours, and much more through our network of experts in the region. If you can dream the trip, we can make it come together. We also will be hosting some new organized trips with different themes and rolling them out over the next couple of years.

Tom Dolaskie has come onboard this year as well. You might remember Tom, or recognize his vehicles from past trips like the coveted Land Cruiser Troop Carrier from the first UP Overland trip or the AMC Eagle wagon he piloted last year. Tom is the owner of 9zero6 , an internet marketing and website optimization company that does a variety of services including internet search optimization. Tom is the brains behind the new website and with his network of professionals such as the UP Web Maestro and Company B Graphics of Marquette, has given Upper Peninsula Overland a face on the World Wide Web. Tom is an avid outdoorsman and photographer. Much of his work can be seen on the UP Overland site. Tom has been instrumental in helping to shape the vision of the annual trip and now the organization. We have some fun new ideas that will be coming online over the next couple of years- stay tuned!
Registration for the 2010 UP Overland trip:

This year's trip will be broken up into two groups of up to 20 vehicles. That is correct; we've increased the max group size from 25 last year to 40 rigs this year. To do this, we will be breaking up the numbers into two groups with two group leaders, along with some assistant group leaders that have been with us in the past to help facilitate the smooth navigation of the route. Once we have exceeded 40 vehicles, we will start a waiting list. It is expected that those who sign up only do so fully expecting to attend. If you must withdraw, then allow as much notification as possible. This will allow us to invite the next alternate. We have had a lot of movement on the registration list in the past for various reasons. While we understand situations arise, we'd like to give anyone who wants to attend, the opportunity to do so.
Preregistration is open immediately to past participants whether 2008 or 2009 attendees. On March 1, general registration will open. To register, PM (Private Message) Tom at the Upper Peninsula Overland forum (this requires registration but it is free). Please provide the following information via PM:
Name:
Email:
Number of people in your party:
Major mods to vehicle:
Camping accommodations (example- roof top tent, ground tent, etc):
Phone number:
Emergency contact name and number:

Final registration will be upon arrival at the meeting point for the trip. Stay tuned in this thread for updates. Important details will be added to this initial post as well.

I am looking forward again to seeing old faces and meeting some new ones around the bonfire! It's going to be a great trip!

Kristian

124.jpg

I am the 5th alternate,and going up a week early,anyone interested in travelling with us. We are leaving from Long Island N.Y. We will head out on sunday the first and make a few stops on the way. Gonna be a long ride without P.S. Cant wait to go, and setting the landcruiser up for the journey,should be a great experience,and it looks like a lot of neat vehicles going not just cruisers. Looks to be well run according to what I have read so far. Now all that has to happen is 5 people bow out., Regardless we have never been there and will go anyway,we plan on knocking off our 14th high point,might hit Ohios high point as well,as it is not that far off our path.

James

Is dare any more room on da trip eh? I can bring some pasties and bacon.

j/k Can't wait until August!!

I am so psyched for this trip. I am working my tail off to get my Pig ready. Work is going slow post surgery but I was able to get 1.5 days on her this weekend in the sweltering heat.

The :princess: and I will be driving up from upstate SC - taking 2.5 days to hit the western UP.

Edgestar fridge is now mounted in the back with back seats removed. Skeleton/base for sleeping platform is finished and I've started on the top. That work is being stopped for a week b/c I have to fab up a dual-battery tray b/c it will be installed next Monday.

This trip is gonna be :cool:.

I wish I had seen this post earlier! This is something I would love to try!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom